Author Topic: Guastedda  (Read 3035 times)

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
Guastedda
« on: April 24, 2006, 12:40:33 PM »
This is another version of authentic sicilian pizza, found in Palermo, which is different from Sfinciuni.

It is a focaccia filled with sliced boiled calf's spleen and tripe with addition of caciocavallo. It is also known as pani cu' la meusa and the best version can be found at Antica Focacceria San Francesco in Palermo (since 1834).

I am not sure is the same thing as  "vuasteddra".

According to a sicilian friend of mine, this name refers to a kind of schiacciata/focaccia not too much leavened...

In fact it is at time used in a negative way in bread making "" mi ti vinni na vuasteddra"" as to say that something is not leavened
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 12:46:21 PM by pizzanapoletana »

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
Re: Guastedda
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 10:32:02 AM »
This is another version of authentic sicilian pizza, found in Palermo, which is different from Sfinciuni.

It is a focaccia filled with sliced boiled calf's spleen and tripe with addition of caciocavallo.

I think you will have a difficult time exporting this idea to America,Marco ;)
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
Re: Guastedda
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 11:55:41 AM »
I don't intend to export it. I just thought to share more info on sicilian focaccias. My sicilians friends tell me that it can also be filled only with ricotta or other stuff you may like. The difference is that you fill it after baking...

Ciao

pizzapan