Author Topic: Starters from Sourdo.com ..?  (Read 2248 times)

Offline youonlylivetwice

Starters from Sourdo.com ..?
« on: April 26, 2006, 04:49:30 PM »
It looks like the posts here generally are positive on Sourdo.com cultures, and I was about to order one, then I read the reviews on the book at sourdo.com on Amazon.  Not exactly favorable, at least the first few.  And it extends beyonf the book to failures with the starter and poor customer service....

Has anyone had a bad experience with them?  Or if you follow the instructions are you on your way to a pretty good culture to work from?

thanks a lot!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Starters from Sourdo.com ..?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 05:04:52 PM »
I have had excellent results with my Italian starters from sourdo.com.  They make the best bread and pizza I have ever been able to produce in my kitchen, and compete with the best I have had anywhere.  On top of all that Ed Wood has personally responded to every email I have sent to sourdo.com with questions or concerns about the starters.  I could not ask for a better product, and this is the best customer service I could imagine. 

If anybody has given him bad reviews I can guarantee that it is because starters in general can be a little tricky to understand and use at first.  With some patience experimentation and some reading anybody should be able to get the hang of using them fairly quickly.

All the instruction you need will come with the starters or are in his book.  You will also find lots of useful information on this site if you search around a little.

With these cultures you can produce better pizza than 99% of the pizzerias in America.

Offline youonlylivetwice

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 05:07:39 PM »
Hey thanks Scott,
that is enough of an endorsement to make it worth a try.  I presumed it could be a few people who really didn't have a great deal of background with starters that had a bad experience and lashed out.  For the price your experience makes it WELL worth the try.  Thanks a lot!

.... it does look like a well done website, they certainly don't try to hide information....

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 06:54:17 PM »
I will agree with everything Scott has said about sourdo.com. The starters can be a little tricky so if you aren't willing to wash your cultures, then I wouldn't even try. As in many things in life, if you're willing to make a serious commitment to this method of baking, you will be amply rewarded.  I am so pleased with the sourdo.com cultures that my long-time favorite starter that I captured maybe 10 years ago sits unused in the refrigerator. Sentimental reasons are the only thing keeping me from dumping it.

I will say I'm not a fan of the recipes in the book. I've had much better results just adapting other recipes to use natural starters. Once you get to know your starters, you can just look at a bread recipe and pretty quickly guess what changes to make.

Yesterday I received four new cultures in the mail from sourdo.com (actually 3 since they messed up the order and sent me two of the same one). Tomorrow I will activate my first rye culture (New Zealand Rye) and next week try baking my first rye bread using only natural cultures.

Bill/SFNM

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
Re: Starters from Sourdo.com ..? booklet recipes
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 04:47:35 AM »
All,

I would like to clarify few points that I have been asked about in private a number of times.

The biography at the beginning of the book was based on an exchange of emails between Ed Wood and the cultures supplier, who did not know that these info would later be used for a published biography. Therefore the emphasis was on what was happening at the time and not the supplier background in pizza and bread baking. The bread recipes were designed by the supplier so that anyone could make bread out of it, not only a passionate bread baker like many on this forum. Anyhow, the "phases/stages" in the recipes are  authentic
Also there is not much emphasis on the booklet about the fact that 100g of "household" Italian 00 flour may absorb up to 10-14% less water then an American flour (or even a professional Pizza flour such as Caputo's), and therefore the hydration of these recipes may actually work differently with American ingredients (or professional italian flours).

Finally, most importantly, the pizza recipe has nothing to do with the cultures supplier, as may mistakenly be assumed by the wording in the same recipe. This recipe was designed by Sourdough international putting together info from different sources and base it on the time express in the VPN guidelines....

Hope this make it more clear

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 04:52:47 AM by pizzanapoletana »

pizzapan