Author Topic: Trying a couple of new tomatoes  (Read 396 times)

Offline dmcavanagh

Trying a couple of new tomatoes
« on: March 14, 2014, 11:49:44 PM »
I'm always on the look out for new tomatoes to try, I prefer crushed, and tonight I tried a couple that I haven't heard of around here before, Nina's and Nonna Artemisia. The Nina's are "Italian Style", which I assume from the picture on the lable means "plum" style tomatoes, but that is not definitely stated. It does not say they are imported, so I have to assume they are domestic tomatoes. The Nonna Artemisia's are imported from Italy, but the picture on the lable shows round tomatoes. The Nina's were very good, aromatic, nice red color, slightly chunky but not overly so, and a nice balanced flavor with both sweet and acidic notes. The Nonna Artemisia's were disappointing, very bland, lifeless flavor, very chunky almost diced tomatoes with some hints of unripe stems. Would definitely put Nina's on my list of good tomatoes, would never buy Nonna Artemisia's again!

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: Trying a couple of new tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 08:21:32 AM »
I'm always on the look out for new tomatoes to try, I prefer crushed, and tonight I tried a couple that I haven't heard of around here before, Nina's and Nonna Artemisia. The Nina's are "Italian Style", which I assume from the picture on the lable means "plum" style tomatoes, but that is not definitely stated. It does not say they are imported, so I have to assume they are domestic tomatoes. The Nonna Artemisia's are imported from Italy, but the picture on the lable shows round tomatoes. The Nina's were very good, aromatic, nice red color, slightly chunky but not overly so, and a nice balanced flavor with both sweet and acidic notes. The Nonna Artemisia's were disappointing, very bland, lifeless flavor, very chunky almost diced tomatoes with some hints of unripe stems. Would definitely put Nina's on my list of good tomatoes, would never buy Nonna Artemisia's again!

I think I have access to the Nina's. Are you using them for pizza and other applications like pasta, or just pizza?

John

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 08:33:25 AM »
John, used them last night for the first time as a pizza sauce. I added 2 small cloves of crushed garlic, 1/2t of dried oregano and a 1/4t dried basal. Would not hesitate to use them again for any application. BTW, I have tried Nina's whole tomatoes in the past and I liked these crushed much better. I'm not sure if the whole were imports or not.

Offline caymus

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 09:22:47 AM »
I also didn't think much of the Nonna's either

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=27313.0

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 10:01:13 AM »
I also didn't think much of the Nonna's either

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=27313.0

I forgot all about your post @caymus, I even commented in it! I try so many different tomatoes I sometimes forget which ones. To keep from forgeting I will often remove the label from the can and write myself notes about what I thought of them! :-D

pizzapan