Author Topic: My 1st Caputo Pizza  (Read 522 times)

Offline Wazza McG

• Aussie Aussie Aussie .... Oi Oi Oi !!
My 1st Caputo Pizza
« on: December 24, 2014, 08:44:14 AM »
Well, I made my 1st Caputo flour pizza tonight and there is 15 minutes before it is Xmas here in Australia.  I made it with D.O.P Agri genus pomorado San Marzano tomatoes.

I used a Ischia Biga at 63% hydration and used TXCraig1 chart to bulk ferment the dough for 32 hrs @ 18~19℃ in my thermo-electric wine fridge.  The three balls were made and were put in a cold oven at 27℃ (room temp) for 2 hours.

The  Margherita had Buffalo Mozzarella and home grown sweet basil with my usual sauce.

When I handled the dough after the bulk ferment - I must say that it felt great, I'm not sure what the purist would call it - but it was like soft aerated plastercine similar to a baby's bum.  I wish I could ball a bit better but I didn't want to deflate it too much.

My family like at thick airy crust so I will not call this a Neapolitan of any sorts, but it s close to the D.O.P quality of ingredients that I have been searching for many years.  ;D

I have no idea where it fits under any traditional type pizzas - but it was light and airy with a bit too much crunch to my liking.

The last slice, I am quite proud of, it was for my daughter favourite - Ham and Cheese - the crumb shot is up there in my opinion.

Merry Christmas from me to all of abroad and happy pizza making  :chef:

I might just sit back and enjoy my Gentleman Jack with a dash of coke for now  :drool:

Cheers,
Warren

« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 08:47:49 AM by Wazza McG »
Fair Dinkum - you want more Pizza!  Crikey ! I've run out out them prawny thingymebobs again!

Offline Wazza McG

Re: My 1st Caputo Pizza
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 04:56:56 AM »
Geez - Not even a Merry Xmas back - tough school here  ???
Fair Dinkum - you want more Pizza!  Crikey ! I've run out out them prawny thingymebobs again!

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 08:59:51 AM »
Warren..... Merry Christmas! Happy new year! We were traveling back from seeing family yesterday and I didn't spend much time on the site the last couple of days so I had time to hit the "like" button and that was about it.

Thats a great looking pie! Which Caputo did you use and how did you bake it and at what temp?

And I love the corkscrew!
Bob

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 09:00:02 AM »
Merry Christmas Warren!  ;D

The pizza looks really tasty.

I try not to get much rise in the bulk. I like to see the first signs of rise (tiny little bubbles forming when viewed from the bottom) and the dough just barely starting to lift up. This way, I can ball it as tight as I want without having bubbles squishing all around and poking up to the surface making things difficult. I'd estimate 95% of my rise is in the ball stage.

I know at least one semi-purist that has referred to the feel of the dough as a "baby's butt."   :-D
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 10:30:27 AM »
Warren,

You no doubt remember this post back in December 24, 2005:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2279.msg20019.html#msg20019

Peter

Offline Wazza McG

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 06:34:05 AM »
Hey - It's all good  ;D

The Caputo was the Blue pizzeria - such an early stage stage for me.

CaptBob - there are few old farts here - I'm 51, how about you?  Prepared to detail the story next time.

TXCraig1 - I will take your advice quite seriously about the shorter bulk ferment, what I did find out, was that the biga fermented to fast for my liking - I am after the slow rise.  My soughdough is pretty active and I have to learn to control it - though there were no disappointments.

Pete-zza - I must admit that I forgot that post, but thanks for reminding me - just hope that the like button does not replace good tidings and well wishes at this time of year.

I would like to thank the regular people here that put great thought to their comments.  Thanks for that.

Regards
Warren

pizzapan