Author Topic: Beginner's Neo/NY Style Recipe  (Read 176 times)

Offline Pizza-Dude

• I Love Pizza!
Beginner's Neo/NY Style Recipe
« on: July 10, 2014, 04:20:06 PM »
Hey everyone--

So, I'm trying to get my sea legs...

As you know, I have a BS and a lot of drive... so I want to get started with an easier dough since playing with starters, at the moment, isn't too good considering my skill level.

Anyone have a good Neo/NY hybrid recipe that I can learn with? I have 00 but I guess I can also use bread flour if need be.

Talk soon!

Offline scott123

Re: Beginner's Neo/NY Style Recipe
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 04:46:27 PM »
Pizza-Dude, I'm happy to see that you've decided to walk before you run, so to speak.  I know you received a boatload of advice in the other thread, but I would take this advice even further and work with your home oven before the blackstone.

The blackstone has a bit of a learning curve- and, honestly, it's learning curve is a bit steeper with Neo-NY pies than it is with Neo pies.

Do you have a pizza stone for your oven?  If you don't, you could probably use the stone from the blackstone.

Lehman's are the typical go to recipes for NY.  My recipe is very Lehman-ish, with the addition of some sugar and oil and some specific suggestions/hints.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=27591.0

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 04:48:04 PM »
You can use the recipe Moose gave you in your other thread.  Is there something about it that you were concerned about?  Using it with Bread Flour should be fine.

Offline Pizza-Dude

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 05:14:58 PM »
Mitch-- well I thought that was a Neo pie? My understanding is that a neo is harder to deal with than a Neo/NY.

Scott-- I've actually been making pies in my oven before I got the BS. I have a baking steel in the oven and would run broil at ~550 degrees. I had ok results. I normally did the recipe I posted the first time (the NY seriouseats recipe) and had ok results... definitely WAY better than this one!

Offline scott123

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 05:34:30 PM »
PD, even though you've done the oven+steel thing previously, I still think it would be a good idea to revisit it until you've fully mastered the dough. The blackstone has enough of a learning curve when working with perfect dough.  When you add iffy, hard to stretch dough to the mix, forget about it.

The elevated hydration of Kenji's recipe, his excessive oil and the vagueness of his fermentation time makes dialing in a consistently workable dough extremely difficult for a beginner.

You really need a water quantity that will give you dough that will be tacky, but not too sticky.  You'll always need some flour to work with it, but it won't aggressively stick to your fingers.  You also need a recipe that tracks temperatures/times/dough development a bit better so you can have a dough with a more precise level of fermentation.  By the time you stretch the dough, if it's doubled and allowed to come to a few degrees lower than room temp, you should have a dough that's infinitely easier to work with than a dough you just add a lot of yeast to, toss in the fridge for an indiscriminate number of days, and hope for the best with. It's not easy nailing fermentation, and typically involves some careful monitoring, yeast adjustments and trial and error, but once you dial it all in, you dough will be ready for blackstone prime time.

pizzapan