Author Topic: Keys to an airy dough?  (Read 477 times)

Offline MrH

Keys to an airy dough?
« on: December 06, 2014, 05:32:05 PM »
I get some air bubbles inside the actual crust but not throughout the slice so I want to hear your dos and donts to get a really nice airy dough.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Re: Keys to an airy dough?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 06:34:36 PM »
I get some air bubbles inside the actual crust but not throughout the slice so I want to hear your dos and donts to get a really nice airy dough.

What hydration% are you using?
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 07:06:58 PM »
You really need to post your whole formula, workflow, and baking method (oven type, temp, stone type, etc.) for people to be able to help with a question like this.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline MrH

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 04:23:13 PM »
You really need to post your whole formula, workflow, and baking method (oven type, temp, stone type, etc.) for people to be able to help with a question like this.

I'm using this recipe: http://feelingfoodish.com/the-best-new-york-style-pizza-dough/

Gas oven, gas mark 7, pizza pan with no holes, top shelf, 4-5 day cold rise, 1-2 hours to warm to room temp before use, baked for 15 minutes in the oven then 2 minutes on the hob to brown and crisp the bottom.

Offline theppgcowboy

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 05:14:48 PM »
15 minutes sounds like the oven is a little cool for a thin pizza. I would bump the temp up and look at a stone too.

Offline MrH

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 06:53:27 PM »
15 minutes sounds like the oven is a little cool for a thin pizza. I would bump the temp up and look at a stone too.
Sadly that's as hot as my oven gets, and I have a stone but I usually opt for the pan as honestly it's easy to shape than by hand. Could I put the pan on top of the stone or wouldn't that work?

Offline Harsh2206

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 08:00:11 PM »
Pre heat your stone for an hour on highest temp. Buy some parchment paper (asda, Tesco, Sainsbury) put the paper on your pan and built your pizza onto it. Then slide it off paper and all onto your stone. Bake it and make a note of the time. Happy baking lad

Offline theppgcowboy

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 03:37:55 PM »
Will your oven get to 290 C? That should put you into about a 5 to 6 minute bake.

pizzapan