Author Topic: My first attempt at pizza making with pictures, need help!  (Read 542 times)

Online Mr Feelgood

• I Love Pizza!
My first attempt at pizza making with pictures, need help!
« on: August 19, 2014, 09:57:59 AM »
Yesterday evening was my first attempt at making home made pizza.  I used Scott123's recipe that he provided me which is listed below for the dough.  The dough sat in the refrigerator covered up for 24 hours.  The dough was taken out of the refrigerator 3 hours prior to baking.  I used Cento DOP certified 28oz San Marzano tomatoes for the sauce.  The entire contents of the can were run through a Victorio VKP250 Food Strainer with the finest screen.  I added a little sugar and salt to the strained sauce and stirred it.  After applying the sauce to the dough, I put a very light dusting of dried oregano and basil on top of the sauce.  I used a ball of Formaggio Fresh Vacuum Sealed Mozzarella lightly shredded with a grater.  After applying the cheese, I slide the pizza into the oven onto the steel.

My oven was preheated for 60 minutes on 500 degrees.  I am using a 15x15x1/2" piece of steel as the baking surface.  First, I baked a stretched dough on the steel by itself with no toppings.  This allowed me to gauge the baking time of the dough alone.  It took about 6 minutes in total for the naked dough to reach the doneness you see in pictures 5-7.  I baked it for 4 minutes with the oven still on 500 degrees then switched the top broiler on to high for the remaining two minutes.  The second pizza with the sauce and cheese took approximately 7 minutes.  I baked it for five minutes at 500 degrees then used the top broiler on high for the remaining two minutes.  The result is what you see in pictures 9-15.

My impressions of the finished pie?  Sadly it was almost inedible.  The dough actually turned out not too bad.  The crust didn't seem to rise quite as much as I expected it to.  It also had a a little to much chew or rubbery texture to it almost like a bread like in picture 7.  It's hard to explain but your teeth kind of hurt after eating a couple of slices if that makes any sense.  I had to substitute KABF for Gold Medal Better For Bread Flour in the yellow bag and also substituted soybean oil for canola oil.  The sauce was pretty close to being a straight liquid.  It was incredibly watery and bland.  The cheese was also bland without much taste to it.  Whenever the pizza was done baking, there were literally two pools of liquid on top of it as seen in picture ten.  I had to soak up this liquid with about 6 paper towels in order to just taste a piece or two to see how bad it was.

The dough recipe was supposed to be for 16" but I made it into 14" just because I am in the experimental phases here.  Is the stretched dough supposed to be completely flat or is there supposed to be a higher rim around the outside of the dough?  I should add that I like a sweet sauce with a strong tomato flavor that is smooth in texture without any chunks of tomatoes, hence the reason I was using San Marzano tomatoes run through a food mill.  Since making my first batch of dough, I have picked up a bag of King Arthur's Bread Flour.  I also have a bag of Caputo 00 flour in the red bag in my possession.

So to recap:  Dough was a bit to rubbery, sauce was literally like water and bland, cheese was bland and also liquified.

I am open to any and all suggestions and tips.  I have attached a picture of a pizza that I found on the web that looks delicious to me.  What kind of dough recipe could I try that would allow me 3-4 minute bake times with a 585 degree oven and a 1/2" steel plate?

KABF* (100%):  764.75 g  |  26.98 oz | 1.69 lbs
Water (60%):  458.85 g  |  16.19 oz | 1.01 lbs
IDY (.3%):  2.29 g | 0.08 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.76 tsp | 0.25 tbsp
Salt (1.75%):  13.38 g | 0.47 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.4 tsp | 0.8 tbsp
Soybean Oil (4%):  30.59 g | 1.08 oz | 0.07 lbs | 6.8 tsp | 2.27 tbsp
Sugar (1%):  7.65 g | 0.27 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.92 tsp | 0.64 tbsp
Total (167.05%):  1277.51 g | 45.06 oz | 2.82 lbs | TF = 0.085
Single Ball:  425.84 g | 15.02 oz | 0.94 lbs

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 10:48:26 AM by Mr Feelgood »

Online Mr Feelgood

• I Love Pizza!
Re: My first attempt at pizza making with pictures, need help!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 09:59:17 AM »
Remaining pictures...

Offline theppgcowboy

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 11:41:41 AM »
Try letting the dough sit on the counter for a couple of hours depending on  room temp before going into the fridge and let it sit for an extra day or two, 24 hours of all fridge is too short. As far as cheese in my view fresh is awesome in wood fired but does not shine as much in low temp electric situations, stick to shredded moz and a high grade one like Grande, and then decide for yourself. Sauce, Cento are good for neo but have not been happy with them in NY pies.  6 in1 are perfect for NY pies in a lower temp oven.  Good luck

Online Mr Feelgood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 09:30:15 PM »
Thanks for the reply PPG.  Upon your recommendation, I ordered 3 cans of 6in1 from Escalon's site to try.  I always see people talking about them on the forum here so I'm excited to give them a try.  I wanted to order to order the peeled variety but it seems that you can't do this on the site.  I like a smooth sauce that is free from chunks.  Is this sauce chunky?  If so, would a food processor, food mill, or immersion blender be better to use in order to get a smoother consistency?  Does the can need to be drained?  Do you add any seasoning/spices to yours, or do you use it straight from the can?

Offline waynesize

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 09:40:27 PM »
I have never found a need to further process 6 n 1 tomatoes. They are not chunky, in my opinion. Great flavor, and a good price, when ordered  from Escalon. I do add a few seasoning to mine, but that is a matter of personal taste. Great tomato flavor, straight from the can.

Wayne
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 09:42:19 PM by waynesize »

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 11:18:09 PM »
drain off liquid. if it's still too thin, dice/mince onion and add it to the sauce. there is pectin in there somewhere that will thicken it up greatly. :pizza:
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 11:55:43 PM »
That fresh wet cheap a$$ cheese killed your pie dude, you have 2x too much....TF too thick too but could have lived with it weren`t for that cheese.

Nice write up though.   8)

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 11:58:22 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online Mr Feelgood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 01:40:38 PM »
Thanks everyone!

On a whim, I went down to PennMac this afternoon during my lunch break.  I picked up a can of 7/11 tomatoes, can of Tomato Magic, and a 5lb bag of Italian Blend 50/50 Grande cheese.  I should have waited before ordering the 3 cans of 6in1 tomatoes from Escalon's site but it would have only been a few dollars cheaper getting it from the store.  So now I have three different kinds of tomatoes to try and some good proven Grande cheese.

Any suggestions for improving my dough recipe now?  I am going to try making another batch on Saturday.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 07:20:34 PM »
That fresh wet cheap a$$ cheese killed your pie dude, you have 2x too much....TF too thick too but could have lived with it weren`t for that cheese.

Nice write up though.   8)

you can see the moisture in the sauce border pre-bake, CB

Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 08:36:37 PM »
you can see the moisture in the sauce border pre-bake, CB
Good eye c.  ;)

Mr. Feelgood....I use those Centos too. Hand squeeze each tom over sink or bowl to release excess water before you food mill them.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 08:48:09 PM »
Tomato magic, good stuff, just needs a bit of salt, garlic, oil, and oregano.

That pizza you posted does indeed look delicious and is making me hungry for pizza, but then again I am always hungry for pizza.

Do you have a source for the image? If it can traced to a restaurant we might be able to give better details.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 08:51:54 PM »
Any suggestions for improving my dough recipe now?

Don't parbake.

Online Mr Feelgood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 09:29:17 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I look forward to trying to new tomatoes and cheese this weekend.  I will probably delegate the Cento San Marzanos to my pasta sauce for the moment.

I did a reverse Google image search on that last pie and it leads to the link listed below, post #21.  It looks like it was cooked by a fellow home-bake pizza enthusiast.
http://www.marshallforum.com/backstage/71066-pizza.html

Aimless:  I only baked that first dough with no toppings to see how it would react with my oven, new steel, and to get a ballpark cooking time since it was my first time.

I am going to try making a new batch of dough on Saturday afternoon with the same recipe unless someone has any other suggestions.  Should I let the dough sit out at room temperature for an hour after balling and before putting into the fridge for cold fermentation?

Offline theppgcowboy

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 10:38:32 AM »
When are you planning to bake?

pizzapan