Author Topic: Blue Apple, Sausage Pepperoni, Cured Smoked Turkey Leg  (Read 156 times)

Offline Jackitup

Blue Apple, Sausage Pepperoni, Cured Smoked Turkey Leg
« on: September 22, 2014, 12:55:33 AM »
My Sunday pies tonite off the Blackstone. 1st was a Blue Apple with caramelized onion/fennel mix, mozz/provolone, some torn thin sliced capicola, scattered some Cashel Blue cheese bits and some parm. Finshed with a little Italian seasoning and olive oil.
2nd was same onion/fennel mix, sauce, portabella mushrooms, mozz/prov, homemade 50/50 pork and beef Italian sausage.
3rd was onion/fennel, sauce, mozz/prov, mushrooms and pulled cured smoked turkey leg.
Sauce was Garvey's sauce thined with V8 juice vs water and seasoned with my adaptation of his spice blend made in bulk so I always have it for other things like pasta and such. I made 2 Chicago thin crusts (Garvey's crust) that I proofed at room temp using Craig's baker's yeast model. It was so pliable I hand stretched it using Frank G's oil method which I actually have been using off and on since I first came here and started using oil for rolling out when working on cracker crusts some 7 years ago, glad to see Frank has been doing the same thing for a LONG time and MUCH better at it than me. Soooo, with the hand stretching instead of rolling it, it turned out more like a Chicago thin/NY style hybrid, thus posting it here instead. Also, the Blue Apple was supposed to be an NP dough and realized today that I used HG flour and never got the GM 00 flour out at all  ::) Regardless, other than a bit of over charring, they all turned out great. Also pictured is how I've been doing a flame deflector with my metal peel. I've found I don't like having a deflector in there all the time so have adapted using the peel as needed. All and all a great nite of pies :P

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Blue Apple, Sausage Pepperoni, Cured Smoked Turkey Leg
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 09:30:03 AM »
Cool pies. I had never heard of a blue apple before. I bet the turkey leg pizza would be a hit if someone was serving it at a fair/farmers market/etc.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jackitup

Re: Blue Apple, Sausage Pepperoni, Cured Smoked Turkey Leg
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 12:03:27 PM »
I first had the Blue Apple at a restaurant in West St Paul as an appetizer, found it delicious!! It's a nice blend of sweet, savory and cheese! The turkey legs were cured and smoked so were hammy which I like and was a last minute choice, very good. The rest of the turkey leg meat will go with some cauliflower and brussel sprouts that will be cooked in a reduced broth from the turkey leg bones and skin

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!