Author Topic: First bake on new steel  (Read 79 times)

Offline Gluten4punishment

• I Love Pizza!
First bake on new steel
« on: August 19, 2014, 08:48:17 PM »
Hi all, new to the forum.  I am not new to making pizzas, I worked at a barro's as a kid and still remember a lot.

I have made pizzas in the past with not so great results, recently my dad has been into it and I have joined in as well.  Reading this site in the last couple weeks has
got  me on track to make a much better pie. Today I had a piece of A36 1/4"  16x22 cut and seasoned it well on the bbq with some oil. 

Made my first real pizza today and it was by far the best I have ever made, maybe the best I have ever tasted.
Here is what I did...

Dough was made 2 days ago , 2 1/2 cups oh KABF 3/4 t of IDY 1 t of salt 2t of sugar and 62% water
Mixed in a food processor and put in the fridge for 2 days.

Sauce was a 6oz can of trader joes organic tomato paste with 7 oz warm water, added some olive oil, salt, garlic powder, sugar, oregano,Italian seasoning,onion powder and some sweet basil. All to taste.

Cheese was a blend of mozz, prov and cheddar 1 lb. this is a 16" pizza

Toppings were pepperoni, pineapple and jalapeņo

Preheated oven with the steel in the upper center rack @500 for an hour

Placed pizza with the screen on ( wasn't sure if it would burn) on the steel.  Let go for 5 minutes and checked, bottom was getting done even on the screen so I let it go. After 7 minutes I turned the broiler on high as the top wasn't done enough.

Took the screen off and let it go until the top was done and the bottom was perfect, total time was 12 minutes.

Here are some pics

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: First bake on new steel
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 09:12:15 PM »
Great job and great looking pizza pie Mike....congrats man!    :chef:

You may not understand this jus yet but you made a pizza with both essential ingredients/styles of both a Chicago thin and a NY pie and I think it looks real good. 
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Gluten4punishment

• I Love Pizza!
Re: First bake on new steel
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 09:21:55 PM »
Great job and great looking pizza pie Mike....congrats man!    :chef:

You may not understand this jus yet but you made a pizza with both essential ingredients/styles of both a Chicago thin and a NY pie and I think it looks real good.

Thanks Bob, lots to learn : )

pizzapan