Author Topic: Wayne is Branching Out  (Read 3227 times)

Online waynesize

Re: Wayne is Branching Out
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2014, 05:01:35 PM »
Thanks, Dave. Most were half and half type toppings. Two people sharing a pie, and wanting different toppings. The "Margherita" was for me, and I think it looked fairly good.

Wayne

Online waynesize

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 11:41:34 PM »
Got a late start making dough tonight. It was 11:15 when I finally put the dough balls to bed. I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of a new stone. My little Pampered Chef stone is not big enough. I ordered an 18x18x1 inch kiln shelf from Axner Pottery Supply.  That should up my game a little bit. In the mean time, here are my ~ 280g doughs, just after balling.

Online waynesize

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2014, 09:12:53 PM »
Two of the four pies I made last night. They were really good, but I need more mass in my stone, to get better results on the bottoms (no pics). First is the "Dawn Renae", Italian Sausage, Canadian Bacon, Pepperoni, Red Onion, Bell Pepper. The last is my Margherita. I am eagerly awaiting my new stone!

Online waynesize

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2014, 09:22:54 PM »
Received my 18x18x1 kiln shelf today, and it fits in my oven!  ;D  Running it through a cycle in the oven at max temp to make sure it is clean. I will give it a run with some pies this weekend. I want to get an IR thermometer soon, to see what kind of heat I can expect.

Online waynesize

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2014, 08:36:11 PM »
I really need to get an IR thermometer. Baked 3 pies Saturday night. Have no idea what the temp was on the stone, but the bottoms were not done nearly as well as I had hoped. With nearly 2 hours of pre-heating, I had hoped for better results.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 12:34:03 AM »
Let the monster pies begin.  Let me know how tough to stretch.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Online waynesize

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2014, 07:31:09 AM »
I am going to need a larger peel too. Mine will only accommodate 12" pies. I have stretched a couple of doughs to nearly 18" without any problems. But, I need to figure out my stone temp issue before trying larger pies.

Wayne

Online waynesize

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2014, 10:02:59 AM »
Made pies at my sister's house last night. Eight pies for a crowd. I was busy, so I did not get many pics. Here are a few. The cheese pie was first, the one with everything was mid session, and the Margherita was last. Everyone enjoyed the pies.

Online waynesize

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2014, 01:45:24 PM »
Made a couple of pies today for lunch. Moved the stone lower in the oven. Full 2 hour preheat. Bottoms cooked much better this time. Ate the pepperoni pie. Taking the cheese pie to my niece. I owe her one.  :)

Online waynesize

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2014, 10:49:46 PM »
Dog tired this evening, but I felt like making some dough. Made two changes, used Gold Medal bread flour, instead of KA Bread Flour, and used tap water, instead of bottled. The only difference I noticed was a little stickiness at the beginning of balling the doughs. Not a big deal. Could have been the changes, or the different weather today. We were around 90f here today, but the humidity was around 25%. Other than that, I saw no difference.

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2014, 11:10:31 PM »
Great work Wayne! Yum!!!!
Bob

Online waynesize

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2014, 04:54:45 PM »
Trying the stone on the bottom level tonight. Had better results moving it to second lowest position last time. Got good browning on the bottoms with a 5:00 bake, switching to broiler at the 3:00 mark. We shall see if it makes any difference. Planning a 2 hour preheat again.

Online waynesize

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2014, 08:15:54 PM »
Tonight's pies. The first one cooked pretty good. Had a decent bottom. Even with some time between pies, I still hoped for better browning on the bottoms. I think the crust was lacking in flavor as well.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2014, 08:11:41 AM »
Nice looking pies Wayne.  If you host a party these will be crowd pleasers.
Dave

Online waynesize

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2014, 10:18:19 AM »
Nice looking pies Wayne.  If you host a party these will be crowd pleasers.
Dave

Thanks, Dave.  I have made pies for a couple of small gatherings, 12 people or so. Everyone seems to like the pies. I made 8 pies at the last gathering. Not an easy task in a crowded kitchen! Lots of fun, and I get to show people that better pizzas can be made at home. I am looking forward to the next bake!

Wayne

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2014, 10:37:22 AM »
Thanks, Dave.  I have made pies for a couple of small gatherings, 12 people or so. Everyone seems to like the pies. I made 8 pies at the last gathering. Not an easy task in a crowded kitchen! Lots of fun, and I get to show people that better pizzas can be made at home. I am looking forward to the next bake!

Wayne
Yep, I know that busy/crowded well.  Fortunately my wife usually makes the pies and I manage the oven.  I know it is cheating, but we can really move some pies that way since the recovery time on my oven is very short.  Time flies, and I don't  have much free time until the pies are done.  Got to go - ten for Mothers Day.
Dave

Online waynesize

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2014, 07:31:01 PM »
Busy week, pushed my pie making to Sunday. Same dough, except I went back to bottled water to see whether it was the water or the flour that changed the dough (from last weeks results). Had the stone on the bottom rack. I was pleased with the bottoms on these pies. I did not switch to broil soon enough on the first one, so the top was a bit weak, but the bottom was good. The first three pies went well, but I had an issue with the last one. My first big problem launching a pie. I thought it was moving freely on the peel, before launch, but it ended up sticking. Ruined a pie, but the worst part was the mess on the stone. Really stunk up the place.  :-[

Online waynesize

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2014, 08:43:45 AM »
In keeping with the title of my thread, I tried something different this week.  Cultured cream as a base, baby gold potatoes,a little shredded mozz, crumbled bacon, and fresh chives. It was quite different than my usual pies. While it was good, it could have had a little more flavor. I will make it again, and try to get a little more flavor. I do think more chives would have helped.

Online waynesize

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2014, 12:24:35 PM »
Made 4 pies last night. First was just cheese, and last was a Margherita. I need an IR thermometer to check my stone temp. Third pic shows bottom of first and last pies. Losing a lot of heat during my bakes.

Online waynesize

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2014, 01:59:47 PM »
Making my pies at my sister's house tonight. She just moved to a different house, and it has a gas oven. I have never cooked pies in this or any other gas oven. Tonight will be a test run for future cooks at her house. I hope it works out. I am really in the mood for pizza! ;D

Wayne