Author Topic: Wayne is Branching Out  (Read 2317 times)

Offline waynesize

Wayne is Branching Out
« on: March 15, 2014, 09:03:35 PM »
Okay, I made, basically, the same pie, week in and week out, for several years. While everyone in my circle was pleased with my pies, I felt that I could do better. Not that the pies I had been making we're not good, They just were not what I really wanted. In recent weeks, I changed a few things, and I am getting closer to what I really want to be making. Here is my humble attempt at a "Margherita" pie. Not terrible for my wimpy oven and wimpy stone. Still plenty of room for improvement, but...........it tasted great! 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 12:48:17 AM by waynesize »

Offline waynesize

Re: Wayne is Branching Out
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 01:07:26 AM »
Oh, Nate, I knocked a minute off of the knead time for this dough. The pic is of the last pie of four. The dough ball had been sitting on the counter for about 90 minutes. It handled great, except it stuck to the container a bit, making it tough to shape. I may try a bit less kneading, to see if it changes the dough. Pretty good, as is.
Thanks!

Wayne

Offline waynesize

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 09:55:26 PM »
So, I was planning to make dough on Thursday, for pies on Saturday. Found out I have a Father/Daughter Girl Scout function Saturday. Ended up making dough tonight, and will make pies Thursday evening. Made same dough as last time, but reduced knead time by 30 seconds (went 3:30 on speed 2 of the KA). Dough looked and felt nice.

Flour (100%) (KABF)
Water (63%) (Bottled water at 65f)
IDY (.33%)
Salt (2%) (Morton Kosher Salt)
Oil (2%) (Soybean Oil)

1130g total weight, balled into 4 @ 282g
Into fridge @ 9:30pm, expecting to make pies around 6:30pm on Thursday.

Wayne

Offline waynesize

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 08:43:04 PM »
Made two pies with this dough tonight. Turned out okay, but I don't think they were as good as the last ones I made. Dough handled well, and opened easily. Seemed to lack something in texture and taste. Still good. I really need to step up to a better baking surface. Even allowing some time between pies, the second one did not brown as well on the bottom. Here are some pics of the second pie

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 09:37:45 PM »
Wayne,

That sure looks like a fine pizza!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline waynesize

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 09:58:15 PM »
Thanks Norma. I have a lot of work to do yet. And, a lot of pizzas to eat! I wish I had more time and resources to commit to pizza making. At least my hobby puts food on the table!

Wayne

Offline waynesize

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 01:03:29 PM »
Had some dough left from Thursday. This was about 87 hours into a 48 hour dough! Not bad. Cooked for 5 minutes, with broiler on medium for last minute.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 03:18:26 PM »
Wayne, those last two look GREAT! I bet they tasted even better. Keep up the good work and most of all, HAVE FUN!

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline waynesize

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 09:48:37 PM »
Thanks, Mark. I am having fun! Tinkering with the workflow and equipment and formulas. Getting better all the time. I have not made a bad pizza, since I started making my own, about six years ago. I think the only limiting factor in the equation, is the equipment. Making do with what I have, and enjoying it all.

Wayne

Offline waynesize

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 01:01:56 AM »
Well, I,really like the dough right now. I am paying more attention to the work flow and bake. Getting better, I think.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 09:37:22 AM »
Well, I,really like the dough right now. I am paying more attention to the work flow and bake. Getting better, I think.
Good inspiration Wayne.  Thanks for sharing.
Dave

Offline waynesize

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 02:46:11 PM »
I had a dough ball left from last night, so I made a pie for lunch. No sauce on this one. Fresh mozz, tomatoes, mushrooms, Canadian Bacon, and a drizzle of EVOO. Baked for 5 minutes on the stone, with the broiler on for the final 2 minutes. Gave it a half turn while the broiler was on, to even out the browning. Quite different than my usual pies.

Offline waynesize

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 11:09:38 PM »
Just a couple of dough balls to practice opening 16" skins.

Offline waynesize

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 09:48:32 PM »
So, I am making pies at my sister's house this Saturday.  Ten to twelve people, mostly adults and teens, maybe a couple of little ones thrown in too. Decided to make 8 dough balls for 12" pies. I had my dough making evening all planned out. So much for plans.  >:( Unexpected events put my timing way off. Somehow managed to get all the doughs made and resting in the fridge by 9:30pm. It was not the relaxing evening that I had planned, but I got it done. Now, I get to stress for two days about using my sister's oven. I have cooked quite a few pies there in the past, but not using a stone. I have only cooked on screens there. Hopefully, her oven will cooperate, and the evening will be a success.

And now, I am going to practice opening dough to 16". Stretched plenty that size, just have not done it the way I am stretching the 12" ones now. I think I've got this!  :D

Wayne

Offline waynesize

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 10:30:24 PM »
Other than one thin spot, due to the bubble, I easily stretched this dough to almost 18". Now, I need a larger stone, and peel.  :D

Wayne

Offline waynesize

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 10:43:21 PM »
Also, I wanted fresh basil for this weekend. The packaged "fresh" basil did not look good. Across the aisle, there were Organic basil plants. The plants had way more leaves than the packaged stuff. Obviously fresher. And will bear for several months. And , the plants were only 72 cents more than the packaged basil. (And grown not too far from here). Duh. Which one do you think I bought?

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 07:09:45 AM »
Other than one thin spot, due to the bubble, I easily stretched this dough to almost 18". Now, I need a larger stone, and peel.  :D

Wayne

I have run into those bubble thin spots too when stretching. I'm still not sure how to avoid/fix this problem.
Chaz

Offline PizzaJerk

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2014, 12:46:20 PM »
I have run into those bubble thin spots too when stretching. I'm still not sure how to avoid/fix this problem.
Usually what I do is flick it with my finger, it usually makes a small pin hole and the air will slowly seep out. After that, if I don't trust it I will just fold it over slightly and press it closed. Better than having the pie stick in the oven I suppose.
May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.

Offline waynesize

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2014, 08:58:35 AM »
Fun night Saturday. Cooked for a small group, 12 folks, at my sister's house. First time using a stone in her oven. It went pretty good. The stone could not keep up with the pace. I really need to step up to a better stone. Other than slightly under cooked bottoms on a few pies, it went well. I only got a few pics, and no bottom shots. I was busy!

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 04:29:24 PM »
Fun night Saturday. Cooked for a small group, 12 folks, at my sister's house. First time using a stone in her oven. It went pretty good. The stone could not keep up with the pace. I really need to step up to a better stone. Other than slightly under cooked bottoms on a few pies, it went well. I only got a few pics, and no bottom shots. I was busy!
Nice pies Wayne.  I like the artistry in the toppings.
Dave