Author Topic: Heaven !!!!  (Read 2299 times)

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
Heaven !!!!
« on: April 26, 2006, 03:38:25 PM »
Pie With Peppers and Onions  :D

This is what makes it worth all the work  ;D

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Re: Heaven !!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 03:40:35 PM »
Hey JerryMac !

wow, great looking pie  ;D

I could go for a slice or 3 of that right now !

good going, and thanks for sharing your pie with us !

Mark

Pie With Peppers and Onions  :D

This is what makes it worth all the work  ;D
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline Peteg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 10:23:23 PM »
Looks great Jerry Mac!  What's that sprinkled on top?

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 07:40:46 AM »
A little olive oil and basil on top  :chef:

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 10:17:04 AM »
JerryMac;
Your pie would easily compete with the professionals....Could you tell us the dough recipe you used and what the oven temperature was ???
Buffalo

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 02:33:22 PM »
Buffalo,

If you look back thru the posts you’ll notice I’m the “Artsey,  Feeley” guy and I don’t use weights and percentages. I worked a long time to get my crust just the way I wanted it and I’ll try to explain it here.

First I use and ordinary electric oven at 525 preheated for 30 minutes and bake on a pizza stone. I, like a lot of us, would like to use a “true” Neapolitan crust but have found that with the temp I am limited to, in order to get the realy good browning the dough needs some oil and sugar (honey). Anyway here it is the best I can explain it.

Ingredients:

Approx. 3 cups good quality bread flour
1/14 Cup very warm water (just where it almost burns your finger)
1 pkg Active dry yeast
1 Tbsp Honey (gives better browning than sugar)
1 tsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil

Method:

I make my dough in 1 day with about a 4 to 6 hour second rise in the fridge, but you could leave it in over nite or longer if you wish.

1)   Put water and honey in mixer bowl.
2)   Add yeast, mix and proof about 5 minutes.
3)   Add olive oil.
4)   Add flour and mix with dough hook until a nice wet dough forms (maybee some of the other guys on the board can give you approx hydration levels if you us that. This is a very moist dough just slightly above the point of being runny. Diferent days of the week I have to adjust the flour levels up and down to get the correct “feel”. I can reproduce this dough strictly through feel. I know when the dough is right. Once you get it right the first time and your pie comes out great, you will never forget that “Feel”). Remember, if your think your dough is too wet, It’s probably just rite.
5)   Stop mixing, cover bowl with plastic and autoleese 30 minutes.
6)   Add salt, need at speed two for 2 or 3 minutes (it doesn’t take much needing after the autoleese) , you may have to add a tablespoon or 2 of flour to get the “Feel” right.
7)   Turn dough out into oiled bowl cover with plastic and rise at room temp 1 ˝ hrs.
8)   Divide dough into 2 balls, put into covered containers and put in the fridge. I start my dough first thing in the morning and take it out of the fridge about 2 hrs before I make pie for supper.
9)    Remove dough balls from fridge and whatever container you had them in and place on floured table, cover with plastic and let proof 2 hrs.
10)    Shape your dough and make your pies. Please don’t use a rolling pin on this dough, you will not get the big airy holes and it will not brown correctly. I hand stretch the dough on the backs of my fists. If your “Feel” is correct this dough will be 3 times as soft as a babys butt and is very easily hand stretchable.

Again, sorry for no weights and percentages, but I’m just “Artsey & Feeley”

It may take you a few times to get the “Feel” correct, But as I said, “you will never forget that Feel”

Good Luck  & Mangia Bene

Jerry  :chef:

PS: If you don't get quite the browning you want try spraying the edge of your crust lightly with Olive Oil.

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 04:30:58 PM »
JerryMac;
Thanks for the info.........I am so impressed with how your pizza looks; I am going to give it a try ;D
Buffalo

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 05:28:40 PM »
Buffalo,

GO FOR IT  :-D

Mangia Bene
Jerry