Author Topic: Re: Pizzicletta Review (Split)  (Read 708 times)

Offline crkoller

• Food is an important part of a balanced diet
Re: Pizzicletta Review (Split)
« on: March 16, 2014, 08:40:26 PM »
Wanted to do a quick review of Pizzicletta as I had the chance to eat there last week. I was out west in Vegas for a bachelor party and decided to spend an extra couple of days to hit some national parks in Arizona. I stayed in Flagstaff one of the nights mainly so I could check out Caleb's place. The first thing I was struck by is how small this place is, I have read his diary on Slice many time and seen photos inside the restaurant, but it is staggeringly small...tiny in fact. The long bench in side is bordered by a couple of window seats and three seats at the 'bar'. Despite its size its minimalistic, yet warm style was really cool and they have done a nice job with the aesthetics of the restaurant.

One to the pizzas. I sat down with a buddy of mine, he got the Amore oi Mari (Marscapone, Pecornino, Arugula, and Proscuitto) and I got a Margherita. We were seated so we could watch him fire the pies and teach what I assume were apprentices learning the pieman's craft. Pies were only in the oven for maybe 60 seconds (although I did time this so don't quote me). We quickly ate these pizzas and I this what stood out for me was the quality of the tomatoes (http://biancodinapoli.com/) they had a sweetness that was complimented with good lingering acidity that let the flavor evolve slowly with every bit. His dough is clearly on point as well (two day ferment) and it leoparded beautifully and had a lightness and velvety texture - a nature leavening from local yeasts, not as flavorful as Ischia Culture but good in its own right. The mozzarella they are making in house did not blow me away, it was fine, but lack a richness that I crave on my pies.

After we finished these pies we decided to split a marinara - convinced I had more room for my new favorite pies. This one was a stand out to me because it showed off the tomato and when it came to the table we were immediately hit in the face with garlic and oregano. Delicious and my favorite of the night. It was at this point where my future 135lbs self regretted making the decision to try the special of the night a stracciatella, pecorino, basil and Balsamic pie. We actually surprisingly put this pizza away quickly too. not my favorite to be sure - I found the Stracciatella and the Pecorino were a bit at odds with one another and over all the pie needed something else to elevate it as it was a bit flat in flavors - maybe some lemon? Finally we make the plunge and order the Arugula tomato and Pecorino pie to cap things off - great flavors and if I hadn't blacked out from all the wheat I probably would have enjoyed it more.

Collectively a great dinner and dining experience. Staff was super friendly and attentive and I even got to chat with Caleb after dinner after he 'congratulated' us on eating so much damn food. Stand outs included the Marinara and the roasted almond gelato, which I had after dinner as the cherry off top of my night of pure unadulterated gluttony. Definitely worth checking out if you are within 3-4 hours of flagstaff - real deal pies for sure although Motorino for me is still at the top of my list. Photos below.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 11:52:17 PM »
Caleb Schiiff rules.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Online scott123

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 12:01:50 AM »
Fantastic review.

I kind of wish Marco had never posted his feelings about big puffy black spots being a sign of defective dough, because, prior to that I probably would have looked at these and oohed and aahed, and, while I would never call this dough defective, it's hard not to be a bit conflicted.  I kind of feel like I have an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other, and, honestly, I'm not entirely certain which one is Marco  ;D

Inner conflict aside, my gut response is 'like.'

The toppings look pretty solid with the exception of the stracciatella and pecorino pie.  I've never tasted stracciatella, so I can't really comment on it, but shaved pecorino that's so thick it's practically sliced- no. You can't treat pecorino like reggiano.

Within the general scheme of things, though, the pecorino is insignificant.  If Caleb were local, I'd definitely go.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 12:04:36 AM by scott123 »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 09:43:39 PM »
For those who are interested, there is an expanded review of Pizzicletta's at Reply 58 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=29303.msg307771#msg307771.

Peter

Offline crkoller

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 10:05:29 PM »
I did not mind the shaved pecorino being so thick, actually a nice change I pass. As for straciatella it's a pulled mozarella curd cheese - I enjoyed it when I was in Italy just didn't do it for me on that pie.

Being aggressively sleep deprecated I rewrote this review as Pete mentioned above and I went into a little more detail about his mozzarella choice and why I think it's ultimately a mistake

Offline crkoller

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 10:07:15 PM »
Caleb Schiiff rules.

110% super nice guy. He gave a good 5-10 minutes after service and we talked shop about flagstaff's humidity, type of wood he burns, floor and dome temps, ferment times. A great owner for pizza junkies to talk with

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 10:15:00 PM »
I kind of wish Marco had never posted his feelings about big puffy black spots being a sign of defective dough,

The pies in the pics here don't have what I'd call "big puffy black spots."
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 10:41:03 PM »
 every one of those pizzas look amazing! caleb has it figured out. i would love to visit his pizzeria. on a side note di palo is using a pre made curd. i'm not sue what they mean by adding whey and butterfat.   http://www.huffingtonpost.com/the-daily-meal/mozzarella-recipe_b_792848.html#s200462&title=The_Curd

Offline crkoller

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 11:23:05 PM »
every one of those pizzas look amazing! caleb has it figured out. i would love to visit his pizzeria. on a side note di palo is using a pre made curd. i'm not sue what they mean by adding whey and butterfat.   http://www.huffingtonpost.com/the-daily-meal/mozzarella-recipe_b_792848.html#s200462&title=The_Curd

Wow very interesting, I must have misundestoos them when I was in there last. Regardless still a great final product

Online scott123

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 11:27:36 PM »
The pies in the pics here don't have what I'd call "big puffy black spots."

1st photo, 6 o'clock, 2nd, 2 o'clock, 4th photo, 12:30, 5th, 2 o'clock. 

These all fall in line with what Marco considers to be defective:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=8836.msg91590#msg91590

I'm not necessarily agreeing with him.

And, speaking of pointing fingers... your consistently picture perfect micro leaparding hasn't helped my inner conflict  ;D

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 01:34:27 PM »
We went to Pizzicleta on Thursday and it was GREAT! This pizza is up there at #1 or #2.

John K

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: Re: Pizzicletta Review (Split)
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 07:13:43 PM »
Caleb was an old acquaintance on Serious Eats SLICE page for quite a while, glad to hear he is doing well, he put his heart and soul into his place.

Offline BKLEBS

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 08:50:38 PM »
the crust looks legit, a lot like motorino... i'll have to get out there one of these days and try it.  did he say anything about mixing/kneading when you guys talked with him?

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 09:21:10 PM »
Not Defective dough but definitely a longer cold fermented and probably still had chill to it, hence the larger black spots?
Looks fine to me not a slice I wouldn't eat  :P
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 12:19:28 AM »
3 or 4 day dough. Hydration is 67 or 68%!!!! Using culture. Only two guys doing all the cooking and Caleb is one of 'em!

Th dough does remind me of Motorino's. To me it is the type of pie that a NP aficionado would REALLY appreciate. No afraid to keep the temp up and flame Rollin!

John K

Offline BKLEBS

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 01:08:45 AM »
3 or 4 day dough. Hydration is 67 or 68%!!!! Using culture. Only two guys doing all the cooking and Caleb is one of 'em!

Th dough does remind me of Motorino's. To me it is the type of pie that a NP aficionado would REALLY appreciate. No afraid to keep the temp up and flame Rollin!

John K

KEEP THE 60 ROLLIN!!!

pizzapan