Author Topic: Barrel vault oven vs. "Pompeii" dome oven: ARRGH!  (Read 20011 times)

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Barrel vault oven vs. "Pompeii" dome oven: ARRGH!
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2010, 08:43:03 PM »
Well, I am going to have to agree with a lot of what he says.  A beehive oven is the simplest to build with mud or mud brick.  Next would be the Pompeian style oven with brick, then a low-dome type or barrel oven,  with a square oven not practical with standard masonry units alone. 

When heat is discussed in relationship to the dome "focusing" it, it just applies to active heating elements.  Radiant heat is disseminated in all directions equally for equal differentials of thermal conductivity.  No matter what shape oven you have, if the thermal mass is all heated to the same temperature, there are no hot or cool spots, either in the mass or in the radiant energy available at any given unobstructed point inside the typical personal oven (assuming no opening for a door).

So, the main point is to build whatever type you like, then insulate the crap out of it, under and over, and learn the firing and cooking regime that works for your particular oven.

Offline scott123

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2010, 09:17:13 PM »
They guys on the Forno Bravo Forum forget that the reason ovens are round domes or barrel vaulted is that is how you keep bricks from falling down IF YOU DON'T HAVE STEEL.

Keep the Roman Toga and their various types of parties.....and use modern engineering. The best of all worlds is a few courses of brick stacked on end to a height of 12 inches, straight up, but round, with a sheet of steel laid on top.....add insulation....oh, and use steel to support the door opening too.....you will have an easy oven, it can be built in a day....add another day for insulation and stucco......

I'm sure that Marco probably feels differently, but I strongly resonate with the simplicity/frugality of a flat steel ceiling. I'm probably at least five years away from a WFO, but, when I take the plunge, this is most likely how I'll approach it. 

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2010, 09:42:23 PM »
SWP,  I am not sure if your response above with the picture and "OK" was an answer to my picture challenge,  but if it was,  it failed.  If that is your idea of what a Neapolitan pizza looks like,  its just wrong.  And for now it proves marcos point.  He mentions corners in his argument.  Those make for stagnant heat.  When a domed oven is heated from the side,  the heat and flame roll across the top of the dome and force heat right down on top of the pizza.  The heat is intense,  and at least for now,  thats not what you have going in that oven.  BTW I just read your thread in your other thread,  I am not trying to be argumentative at all,  but I strongly disagree with your statements.  I think most other members would be able to tell you that I don't sit around bashing everyone that comes on here when they are new.  And BTW this site is lucky to have some professionals on it but 99% of us are amateurs. -marc
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 09:51:06 PM by widespreadpizza »

buceriasdon

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2010, 07:34:15 AM »
A flat steel ceiling would work except not everywhere. Certainly not here where I live, within a few months rust flakes would be raining down on your pizza. One of the prices I pay for living next to the ocean.
Don

I'm sure that Marco probably feels differently, but I strongly resonate with the simplicity/frugality of a flat steel ceiling. I'm probably at least five years away from a WFO, but, when I take the plunge, this is most likely how I'll approach it. 

Offline sacwoodpusher

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2011, 10:53:23 PM »
SWP,  I am not sure if your response above with the picture and "OK" was an answer to my picture challenge,  but if it was,  it failed.  If that is your idea of what a Neapolitan pizza looks like,  its just wrong.  And for now it proves marcos point.  He mentions corners in his argument.  Those make for stagnant heat.  When a domed oven is heated from the side,  the heat and flame roll across the top of the dome and force heat right down on top of the pizza.  The heat is intense,  and at least for now,  thats not what you have going in that oven.  BTW I just read your thread in your other thread,  I am not trying to be argumentative at all,  but I strongly disagree with your statements.  I think most other members would be able to tell you that I don't sit around bashing everyone that comes on here when they are new.  And BTW this site is lucky to have some professionals on it but 99% of us are amateurs. -marc

Well.....no that was one of my earlier pizzas. This one is not perfect either, but it is a 85% hydration dough, fired pretty hot....and I have learned how to fire the oven.  I gotta get some points for even getting this one on the peel.

pizzapan