Author Topic: Starter contamination question ?  (Read 1739 times)

Offline GSF

• I Love Pizza!
Starter contamination question ?
« on: April 27, 2006, 11:56:13 AM »
I have a question for the experts ???

The information that comes with the starters states.....   "Sometimes during activation a culture becomes contaminated  with organisms present in all flour, if this happens you will need to wash your culture".

What if you were to essentially pasteurize your flour and water mix before adding the cultures.

What I am suggesting, is to mix the flour and water and then heat the mix to a temp high enough to kill any  organisms that exist in the flour, I do not mean to cook the mix, just heat it to 140 or 150 degrees. Won't most yeast organisms die at these temps ? Then let the mix cool to 85 degrees and then mix in the starter.

I know the starters come in 1oz of flour so unless the contamination is present in the starter packet, would this not greatly reduce the chance of contamination ?

I am no expert on such matters, and I know someone out there is probably laughing, but I would like to hear what the experts think.  ???

Thanks........................GSF

Offline Wazza McG

• Aussie Aussie Aussie .... Oi Oi Oi !!
Re: Starter contamination question ?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 04:01:16 PM »
Hi,

I am no expert, but it seems to me that at 140~150 you would kill all the other goodies in the flour eg enzymes and possibly the ability of the flour to accept water as you will be par baking the mixture.  Personally, I would not attempt this - it seems too radical for me.  Why don't you give it a go if it intrigues you.

Regards,

Wazza McG
Fair Dinkum - you want more Pizza!  Crikey ! I've run out out them prawny thingymebobs again!

Offline PizaJim

• I Love Pizza!
    • Rosemark Homes
Re: Starter contamination question ?
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 02:24:02 PM »
Curious if anybody tried this.
2Stone Novice