Author Topic: My pizzas thread - MisterSchu  (Read 330 times)

Offline misterschu

My pizzas thread - MisterSchu
« on: March 19, 2014, 12:42:53 PM »
I'm starting this thread in order to aggregate photos of my pies and breads as I go along. Easier to see my progression with it all in one place than spread across multiple threads. I make neapolitan and pan pies so I figure it shouldn't be on either of those boards.

Here's the pie I made last night. I've had two aluminum pans that I've been using, but have been disappointed in the coloration of the crust so over the weekend I coated the pan with chia oil and baked it for about an hour at 525 and recoated and rebaked after it had cooled (same method and oil I used on my baking steel).  The pan went from a light gray (aluminum) color to a dark brown. I hoped this would help darken the crust. Next time I'm at a restaurant supply store I'll look for darker colored steel pans.

The dough was made the night before, 100g starter, 600g KABF, 500g water, 18g salt. Mixed by hand, fermented about 24 hours at room temperature, in a large bowl. When I got home, I turned the oven on to max (about 525) and poured the dough out into the seasoned and oiled aluminum pan and spread to the corners. It proofed in the pan for about 45 minutes while the oven preheated. I topped it with sliced LMWM mozzarella (polly-o brand), crushed tomatoes and then a fair amount of grated romano, parmigiano and grana padano.

I did not time the baking but I believe it was about 18-21 minutes.  The color was not as improved as I'd hoped and it was very challenging to remove the pie. I think this may have been from the oil coating in the pan having baked into the seasoned oil lacquer. I'll have to try again without oiling the pan.

Offline Gags

Re: My pizzas thread - MisterSchu
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 01:23:18 PM »
Great looking pie!
Please post some of the crumb & bottom next time!

"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

Offline misterschu

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 01:34:32 PM »
Great looking pie!
Please post some of the crumb & bottom next time!

Thanks! I've got a bunch of it left over so I'll try to remember that for tonight.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 10:33:15 PM by misterschu »

Offline misterschu

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 10:39:11 AM »
I mixed a batch of dough last night, should be ready for tonight, but I may fridge it and use it tomorrow.

I used 930g Colavita type 00, 610g water (66%), 26g salt, 45g starter. The end product seems much drier than usual, when I use Caputo 00 at a lower hydration (~63%). I've also noticed some brown specks in the dough, if it's not filtered as well as caputo that would explain its ability to pull up more water.

When I balled it this morning (after 7 hours bulk) it was drier and stiffer than using Caputo.

Offline misterschu

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 09:50:44 AM »
Here are the pics from the pies I baked last night, from the batch of dough I made Tuesday night. I ended up fridging it since I got home late on Wednesday. It was slightly over-risen but was not too far gone and it came out well. The skins were harder to stretch than with caputo, I think because of the Colavita flour's thirst. It felt much drier than a 66% hydration dough. I used fresh mozzarella from lioni latticini in brooklyn and sclafani tomato puree. won't be using tomato puree again.. it's just paste and water basically. Pies are pretty self-explanatory, nothing too crazy.  Made 8 pies in all.  Pepperoni is Vermont Smoke and Cure, which i haven't used before. Really delicious but not so easy to slice thinly as it was a bit looser/oilier than other pepperonis.

The pie with arugula also has clams on it. It wasn't very good. Clams were bland, from a can, and had a bad texture.  The white pie with mushrooms is just mozzarella, sliced baby bellas and porcini powder.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 11:33:46 AM by misterschu »

pizzapan