Author Topic: Anyone tried Bobby Flay's aluminum pan/stone for grills?  (Read 700 times)

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

• I feel a carb-coma onsetting.
Anyone tried Bobby Flay's aluminum pan/stone for grills?
« on: March 16, 2014, 09:30:02 PM »
I believe it's exclusively sold at Kohl's.

Online TXCraig1

Re: Anyone tried Bobby Flay's aluminum pan/stone for grills?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 09:39:48 PM »
Unless you like your pizza black on the bottom and white on the top, a piece of aluminium is about the last thing you want to use to cook pizza on a grill.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

• I feel a carb-coma onsetting.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 10:06:38 PM »
Thanks Craig. I figured it looked like an insanely overpriced thing. It looks like it sells more on looks than anything. Think of Keurig here.

Offline scott123

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 12:25:35 AM »
Unless you like your pizza black on the bottom and white on the top, a piece of aluminium is about the last thing you want to use to cook pizza on a grill.

While I agree 100% that aluminum is a poor choice for a grill hearth, we don't really know what the instructions for this pan are.  It could instruct the user to bake the pizza in the pan, without a reheat, like a typical pan pizza. If that's the case, you wouldn't see an overly charred undercrust and a white top crust.

Also, there's a thermal mass component here. Visually, this feels somewhere between 1/8" and 1/4" thick. Even if there were no instructions and someone cranked their grill to a 600ish pre-heat, the amount of thermal mass probably wouldn't be sufficient for a black undercrust. 1/4" probably not, 1/8", definitely not.

I'm definitely in no way recommending this pan, but I do think the reasons not to purchase it could be a little more complex than a massive heat imbalance.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 01:37:30 AM by scott123 »

Offline Gosseni

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 01:01:06 PM »
Would make a better comal for making tortillas.

Offline ltolhurst

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 01:52:25 PM »
I have not had much luck grilling pizza but I keep on trying. I do have a favorite pizza pan that I use in the oven. They are the same ones they use at pizza hut. Perforated bottoms that allow steam to vent away. Makes a great crispy crust. I bought them on Amazon for like $15.00.

Let me know if you have any luck grilling. I hope one day to have a Neapolitan pizza oven in my back yard. Just like a fire pit but much more delicious.

http://www.amazon.com/Pizza-Hut-Pan-inch-NSF/dp/B00IZJSI3E/?tag=pizzamaking-20

pizzapan