Author Topic: Need a first peel, fast.  (Read 509 times)

Offline Smokeat

• I Love Pizza!
Need a first peel, fast.
« on: March 19, 2014, 12:55:53 PM »
I can get a 14" bamboo peel at BB&B for $10. Does bamboo behave(release pies) the same as maple or other hardwood peels? I can have it tonight, and then shop for better equipment as I gain some experience. Thanks

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
Re: Need a first peel, fast.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 01:05:08 PM »
any wood finished properly should.  is salty ice as slippery as sugared ice? sure. and the plus side, that bamboo peel is gonna be quite durable
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Smokeat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 01:10:08 PM »
any wood finished properly should.  is salty ice as slippery as sugared ice? sure. and the plus side, that bamboo peel is gonna be quite durable

Thanks, I don't know how it will come finished. Most hardwood peels look to come unfinished, whereas this looks darker and might have a factory finish. If it does, hopefully it is just mineral oil.

Offline adletson

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 01:44:40 PM »
For that price I think it's worth trying it.  If it doesn't work for launching, you can at least use it as a place to remove, cut, and serve with a flair.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 02:10:45 PM »
For that price I think it's worth trying it.  If it doesn't work for launching, you can at least use it as a place to remove, cut, and serve with a flair.

if it's a rough finish you could always get some nice quality fine sandpaper and smooth it down too
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 03:04:15 PM »
Depending upon its construction, that bamboo peel might actually be better than the other more traditional wood peels which exhibit a tendency to split and/or warp over time. Do not wash it, just wipe it down. I normally don't like to oil that type of peel as it can make it more difficult to peel the pizza into the oven, instead, I like to burnish the peel with a fine grind corn meal from time to time. Don't worry about stains on your peel either, they just give it more character. If you like it, and it works well for you apply the rest of your money toward buying a metal blade peel for removing the pizzas from the oven.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Smokeat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 06:11:00 PM »
Thanks complex, adletson & Doc. I'll work it to the best of my ability, which is little to none.