Author Topic: Tomatoes from UK sources  (Read 321 times)

Offline jsp_1983

Tomatoes from UK sources
« on: March 20, 2014, 09:38:00 AM »
Can anybody recommend any? Preferably from easy to reach or order sources, rather than an obscure shop!

As some of you will appreciate, San Marzano is hard to find - certainly if you live in a Northern town, anyway. Tesco no longer stocks it, apparently.

I'm wondering which other brands work, if any kind of San Marzano is out of reach?

Offline adm

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Tomatoes from UK sources
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 11:04:14 AM »
The Tesco San Marzanos weren't very good anyway!

A good source of online pizza (and general Italian ingredients) is www.nifeislife.com. They deliver all over the UK. They also stock 25kg bags of Caputo Blue pizzeria flour if you are looking for some of that. And I can heartily recommend their "Spicy Salamella" - which is by far the best pepperoni I have found in the UK. Oh - and their wild boar salami as well.

They stock tinned San Marzanos, but they aren't particularly cheap - about 1.80 a tin if I recall correctly. I get about 10 pizzas from a tin though, so it's not a bank breaker. The also do good DOP Buffalo Mozzarella, but it's more expensive than the M&S or Tesco equivalent - although in their favour it is flown in twice a week.

The Tesco Finest tinned Italian plum tomatoes are also pretty decent.

Offline jsp_1983

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 03:42:15 PM »
Yeh, I wasn't too hot for the Tesco San Marzano when I tried it. It didn't seem all that different from other tinned tomatoes I've tried.

Truth be told, I don't know for certain what San Marzano tastes like - I've probably had it when eating out, but obviously almost all places don't say (on menus) which tomatoes they use. All I'm assuming is that San Marzano is a lot less acidic/ bitter than the ones I've had so far. Certainly nowhere near the bright reds and flavoursome sauces that I'm used to when eating out.

I'll give the plum tomatoes a try.

Online swatson

• Supporting Member
    • Clydebank Build
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 04:47:00 PM »
Hi jsp_1983,

I use nifeislife for my tomatoes and flour they're not the cheapest but they are reliable and very helpful if you phone them. Ive attached a cropped screenshot of my order of SM,s to give you an idea of price. And a little hint to reduce the price, if you take your order process right through and proceed to check-out then log out and wait a day or two you should get a mail offering a discount. This CAN be used in conjuction with your new customer discount.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 04:50:30 PM by swatson »

Offline adm

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 02:27:11 PM »
One other nifeislife tip is to at least sign up to their site so you get their offers in your mailbox - they quite often offer free or discounted delivery as well as money off codes.

Offline jsp_1983

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 06:50:30 PM »
Thanks - I'll get signed up.