Author Topic: Sugar in Crust recipe ?  (Read 2197 times)

Offline ZekeTheCat

• I Love Pizza!
Sugar in Crust recipe ?
« on: April 28, 2006, 09:40:33 AM »
I'm interested in adding sugar of some type (sugar, honey, molasses, barley malt extract syrup ,etc ) - to optimize crust browning. Any recommendations on optimal amounts and types for this purpose ? Thanks for any help.

This is my current recipe that I like very well except I would like it brown better & quicker.

3 C (450 gr) -      HGF (Bouncer -14%)
1 ½  tsp      -       Salt                                                   
3/8   tsp      -       Black pepper                                   
1 tsp          -        Yeast (SAF)                   
1 ½  tsp    -         Oil - optional  (Bacon grease (preferred) or Canola oil)       
60% (w/oil)      -  Warm water (of dry weight) OR
62%( w/o oil )  -  Warm water

(Autolyzed for about 20 minutes before kneeding for 8 minutes in a KA mixer)
(Pizza baked at 550 deg - 5 to 6 mins on quarry tiles)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 09:44:12 AM by ZekeTheCat »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Sugar in Crust recipe ?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 12:53:45 PM »
Zeke,

I am not aware of any "optimal" amounts of the forms of sugar you mentioned to achieve optimal browning of the crust. Generally, the conventional advice is not to exceed about 5% by weight of flour. The 5% figure basically represents the threshhold value beyond which most people will detect sweetness in the crust. Too much above that figure can also adversely affect yeast performance. That said, I think it is safe to say that sweeteners like molasses, barley malt syrup (non-diastatic), and honey--especially the darker varieties of honey--are likely to produce greater color in the crust than ordinary table sugar. Each will also contribute its own flavor profile to the finished crust, and you might find that using high levels of any of them will produce flavors that are too powerful . Most professionals use an industrial grade of honey because it is the darkest and has the most flavor (it's also the cheapest).

If you are currently using table sugar and want to substitute one of the other forms, you should keep in mind that you will have to increase the amount (by weight) of the other forms of sugar by about 20%, to compensate for the fact that honey, molasses and barley malt syrup are about 20% water. Theoretically, you should also reduce the water content by 20% of the weight of the honey, molasses or barley malt syrup. I think you will find that for the amounts of ingredients you are using, that amount of water in the honey, molasses or barley malt syrup will be fairly small and not worth worrying about.

You didn't mention the possibility of using dried dairy whey to increase crust coloration. Dried dairy whey includes lactose, which is a form of sugar that is not metabolized by yeast and has a low sweetness factor compared with other forms of sugar. So you will get increased coloration but not added sweetness. Consequently, it can be used with other forms of sugar if you'd like without noticeably adding to the overall sweetness.

If you decide to go with honey, molasses or barley malt syrup, you might want to start at 2% (by weight of flour) and work up from there in 1% increments (using 5% as the upper limit) until you get the results you are trying to achieve.

Peter
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 12:59:15 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 01:06:47 PM »
Increase your oil to one tablespoon.  To start with add one tablespoon clover honey.  Try that.

Offline ZekeTheCat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 03:38:22 PM »
Peter- where do you get the dried dairy whey that you mentioned in your reply ? - it's worth a try ! Thanks

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 05:41:39 PM »
Zeke,

I originally found the dried dairy whey in the bulk bins of my local Whole Foods but the last few times I have checked I couldn't find it in the bulk bins. However, most Whole Foods carry Bob's Red Mill products, including that brand of dried dairy whey. The whey itself is quite inexpensive, as indicated at this link that I found through a quick Google search: http://store.yahoo.com/valuenutritionstore/whswda2lbnow.html.

If you can locate the whey, its recommended usage is 3-5% by weight of flour. For the amount of flour you are using, that would be around 4 to 7 teaspoons. If you'd like, you can use both the whey (maybe at a lower level) and one of the several forms of sugar you mentioned. I personally like using honey. I think it provides nice coloration and, in my experience, it seems also to have a nice effect on the dough formation and handling.

Peter

Offline bigriver

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 02:23:35 PM »
2 things

1st  bacon grease?  Brilliant!  Never thought of it/trying it tonight!

2nd where do you get your Bouncer from?  I used to live by a GFS Marketplace, but have recently moved.  I miss having Bouncer available.

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 06:41:50 PM »
I can't believe it...Bacon Grease! When my mother made the dough she always had a small can of bacon grease on the stove. That's got to be the flavor I'm missing to duplicate her dough, thanks!

Offline ZekeTheCat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 07:48:14 PM »
I get the Bouncer HG flour at GFS either in FT. Wayne Indiana or Lima Ohio  $7 give or take for a 25 lb bag- also get 6 in 1 crushed tomato's  there in the large cans.

Albeit bacon grease isn't the  healthiest oil to use it does have a good flavor and I like to use it occasionally in my crusts. Considering all the fat in cheese, sausage and pepperoni etc I don't think a little bacon grease makes it much worse healthwise. The small amount of black pepper subtlely helps too - IMO.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 07:52:00 PM by ZekeTheCat »

pizzapan