Author Topic: Re: Leonard's Attempt at Chain-Style Pizza (Split Topic)  (Read 842 times)

Offline Leonard

Re: Leonard's Attempt at Chain-Style Pizza (Split Topic)
« on: March 20, 2014, 12:52:31 PM »
Hey guys, long time since I posted but my pizza cooking experience got better.
I finally nailed the most perfect pizza dough for me, it's a 58% sometimes 60% hydration, 5% oil, a spoon of honey, salt and 2-3 grams of instant yeast, all of these after 2 days give me an excellent dough.
I handtoss the dough, very very careful with the rims and I get a marvelous crust, it tastes and looks like a dough from top pizza restaurants, I will post pics tomorrow or in the net days.

All good as the dough goes but I am still not satisfied, the taste of the overall pizza is still wayyyy behind pizza chains and top pizza restaurants, I made a quarto fromagi from the exact same chesses as I saw on a menu in a restaurant and mine got a strong salty taste while the restaurant pizza, still salty from all the chesses but very good.
I am also eating at pizza hut sometimes and one time I ordered a pizza with a thincrust, mozza and sauce, man that was the best pizza ever as taste goes, 3 simple ingredients but superbly balanced, the sauce there is also very good, on the sweet side but not to think they put sugar in it.
I am puzzled why I can't reach that amazing taste, it's clear I'm failing in the topping department.
For topping I used the following combinations :
1. for quarto fromagi - gouda, parmesan, gorgonzola and mozza, for sauce I used Cirio Pizzassimo at 2.5 kg
2. with meat - bacon, mozza, cirio pizzassimo, fresh basil
3. still with meat - ham, mozza, cirrio pizzassimo, fresh basil
Tried with all sorts of sausages and still no go, pizza chains taste is way better than anything I do at home, I tried even prosciuttoto di parma and san marzano, it's even worse, especially the parma, salty and no taste.
My final conclusion is that chemicals really adds a new dimension to taste, whether they use the good old MSG or some other new drug, you can't ever beat a pizza chain taste, maybe the mom and pop places but not the chain.
Happy to hear your thoughts about this.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 01:56:41 PM by Pete-zza »

Online nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 10:11:51 AM »
Try this link for some great sausage. Garvey turned us on to this. Better than anything I could purchase.
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/09/juicy-sweet-or-hot-italian-sausage.html

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 10:43:47 AM »
Leonard;
If I remember correctly, I think P.H. uses a reman (re-manufactured) tomato product in their sauce. A characteristic of a reman product is the very deep, dark color and a somewhat sweeter taste. I believe that Contadina brand is a reman product so you might try developing your sauce around their tomato sauce or paste.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline ddee

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 08:30:20 AM »
You could try frying some tomato puree until it darkens in olive oil and add it to your sauce. It may add a little to the depth of flavour and complexity.

Offline Leonard

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 05:53:32 AM »
Thank you Tom Lehmann, it was the sauce.