I started off with 100% '00' A Metro in batch one. It produced a usable dough (barely) but my starter was not fully active so I blamed the results (first on me) on the starter not the flour. My dough management varies slightly. As I read more about how Pete-zza, Chau, Johnny the Gent, Norma, TxCraig, Scott123 prepare and handle dough I try different things, write it all down and hope to stumble onto something that works.
In the case of dough #1 the dough was slack, extensible, but it did not 'feel right." I thought the problem was something I experienced before with the Caputo '00' Pizzeria (bulk) flour. I figured that the lack of temp that at the time was being generated by soapstone was inadequate and that mixing with some stronger flour might help.
For dough #2 I used 60% Caputo '00' A Metro + 40% Stone Buhr flour which per 100gm claims 5% protein. (See pic of flour nutritional info below) Perhaps that's where the 13+% protein came from? This dough had a lot of ADY for me = 1% of flour; 62.5% Nestle/Arrowhead water. My starter/preferment is 100% 50-50 water to flour. I added 30%. This was partly due to my desire to get a larger cornicione along with the ADY. I added dry ADY to the flour added the poolish and mixed on 1 for 1 minute, let is sit for5 minutes. I added all the water mixed for 5 minutes. Rest for 20 min. Then added the remainder of the flour slowly while on 1 (all mixing done in a KA Artisan with C hook) until incorporated. I estimated 2 minutes. I usually cut/weigh/ball and place into individual covered bowls with the smallest amount of oil possible. In this case, because I was reading about bulk counter ferment. I dumped all the dough into a bulk container and left on huge counter at 65* for 2 hours and then bulk into the fridge. It was not until 72 hours in the fridge that I removed the bulk, weighed/balled 20 oz balls. I used 2 of the 4 balls on the night of day three. I used one of the remaining balls the following day. These were the extremely extensible doughs. It seemed to me that as this dough aged further it lost almost all of its elasticity. However, as mentioned in an earlier post - it did achieve a thin thickness factor, it baked to be more close to a NY style pie than I've ever made before. It baked well in the oven at sub 5 minutes.
Dough #3 was the same as above in all but 2 wildly significant ways. And one slight one:
- I added the old dough ball from #2 to the water and dissolved it (20 oz. ball)
- No additional ADY was added.
- I added grape seed oil .5% of flour weight (not counting the old dough weight)
The bulk/ball was the same as dough #2. Below is a pick of what the dough looked like when I was ready to bake on the 3rd day (bubbling dough 'ball')
Dough #4 was a very different experiment. Like Dough #1 it was all '00' A Metro. I used less flour this time out as I was shooting for 12" a 13" pies.
- Flour weight was 21 oz. of the '00' A Metro.
- 65.1% Water
- .07% ADY
- 26.%. Starter/Preferment
- 3%. Salt (in all cases I'm using fine Kirkland Sea Salt)
I took some of the water, heated it and added the ADY for 10 minutes until bubbly. I dissolved the Starter/Preferment in the water while the ADY was proofing. Then I incorporated the starter and salt into all the remaining water. Mixed with my hands and then added the ADY/water to the other water in the mixing bowl. With the mixer on 1, I added all of the flour mixed for 1 minute. Let it rest for 5 minutes, Mixed for 4 minutes on 1. Rested for 10 minutes, mixed on 1 for 1 additional minute. I weighted/balled 13 oz. dough into separate containers. Overt the next hour I did stretch and folds @ 20 minutes 3 times. Then into the fridge. Yesterday morning I took one of the two out of the fridge, did stretch and folds once, balled and sat on the counter at 68* first thing in the morning until bake time. I took a second dough ball out of the fridge about 4 hours before bake time and did a stretch and reballed. The both dough balls opened up but the AM one opened much larger given that it was the same weight. I have one of these dough balls left. Here is a picture of what it looks like at his time. (It will be the flat looking dough pic)
I realize I'm all over the place with fermentation methods, times, etc. I realize it would be better to be more systematic about trial and error. That's not lost on me. I am using all kinds of different flour and my oven temp has effectively jumped 50* with the change to steel and removing the soapstone from the oven. That said, I am very open to anything you of the forum members might suggest based on the info and pics provided. And, not drinking wine while baking pies will not be considered constructive advice
I was reading about Stromboli last night so I may make this into a spinach/Kale/basil/garlic & cheese Italian burrito. There's a place in Orange County CA called Peppinos. They make really awesome "spinach bread" that I miss. And I have eaten 12 pizzas in the last 14 days. I'm feeling happy - but doughy