Author Topic: Glutenboys Recipe Frozen  (Read 626 times)

Offline gnatto

• I Love Pizza!
Glutenboys Recipe Frozen
« on: March 24, 2014, 03:48:33 AM »
Hi,

I've been making pizzas for the last several months using Glutenboys recipe.

Flour (100%):
Water (61.0526%):
IDY (0.19817%):
Salt (2.5%):
Total (163.75077%):

I've followed his procedure pretty precisely, however have been mixing by hand as I don't have a kitchen aid. I've been extremely happy with the results and haven't had much interest in branching out, however I am very keen to try to figure out the ideal way to freeze this dough.

I have tended to keep these doughs in the refrigerator for anywhere from 5 to 9 days. Haven't tried cooking them before 5 days, but they seem like they would be pretty useable after about 3 days.

I've been reading a few posts here and there about peoples experiences in freezing dough. Has anyone had any experiences with this formulation and freezing?

I figure the options I have are:
- freeze immediately after balling (but then have 5+ days in the fridge afterwards)
- have 3-4 days cold ferment in the fridge then freeze. 1-3 days in fridge afterwards)
- have 6-8 days cold ferment in the fridge then freeze. overnight in fridge then use)
- also the option of doubling/tripling the yeast in the dough. Adding ascorbic acid and other dough strengtheners.
- should there be any change at the bulk rise stage?

Very interested in other peoples experiences with freezing dough, and specifically with doughs that are designed for a long slow fermentation process.

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 03:50:18 AM by gnatto »

Offline PizzaMark

Re: Glutenboys Recipe Frozen
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 08:31:10 PM »
I make a batch at a time and freeze the rest. I cold ferment in the fridge for 72 hours, take them out, dust them in flour and reshape into a ball (It rises some). I do NOT coat them with olive oil, as I did not have good results when I did. I place them into a ziplock back and then into the freezer.

The night before I want pizza, I put it in the refrigerator back into a plastic container. About 2-3 hours (Sometimes only an hour) I let it come up to room temp, shape and cook.

Tastes great!

Offline Jackitup

Re: Glutenboys Recipe Frozen
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 12:45:53 AM »
I haven't done this yet but this is what I am planning on trying. Make dough, ball into desired size, cover with a sheet of plastic on a sheet pan and freeze. Once frozen, vac pack individually. I would not vac pack before freezing due to the pressure collaping the dough with a regular vacuum machine or in a chamber style one the dough would blow up lake a balloon followed by a rapid collapse. When needed thaw and let rise or into covered oiled container with plastic wrap on the dough and cold rise in fridge for a few days. In an unbroken vac pack I'm thinking the dough should be usable for up to a year. Maybe use a bit more yeast on the front end to handle the freezing

jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain