Author Topic: Glutenboys Recipe Frozen  (Read 400 times)

Offline gnatto

• I Love Pizza!
Glutenboys Recipe Frozen
« on: March 24, 2014, 03:48:33 AM »
Hi,

I've been making pizzas for the last several months using Glutenboys recipe.

Flour (100%):
Water (61.0526%):
IDY (0.19817%):
Salt (2.5%):
Total (163.75077%):

I've followed his procedure pretty precisely, however have been mixing by hand as I don't have a kitchen aid. I've been extremely happy with the results and haven't had much interest in branching out, however I am very keen to try to figure out the ideal way to freeze this dough.

I have tended to keep these doughs in the refrigerator for anywhere from 5 to 9 days. Haven't tried cooking them before 5 days, but they seem like they would be pretty useable after about 3 days.

I've been reading a few posts here and there about peoples experiences in freezing dough. Has anyone had any experiences with this formulation and freezing?

I figure the options I have are:
- freeze immediately after balling (but then have 5+ days in the fridge afterwards)
- have 3-4 days cold ferment in the fridge then freeze. 1-3 days in fridge afterwards)
- have 6-8 days cold ferment in the fridge then freeze. overnight in fridge then use)
- also the option of doubling/tripling the yeast in the dough. Adding ascorbic acid and other dough strengtheners.
- should there be any change at the bulk rise stage?

Very interested in other peoples experiences with freezing dough, and specifically with doughs that are designed for a long slow fermentation process.

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 03:50:18 AM by gnatto »

Offline PizzaMark

Re: Glutenboys Recipe Frozen
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 08:31:10 PM »
I make a batch at a time and freeze the rest. I cold ferment in the fridge for 72 hours, take them out, dust them in flour and reshape into a ball (It rises some). I do NOT coat them with olive oil, as I did not have good results when I did. I place them into a ziplock back and then into the freezer.

The night before I want pizza, I put it in the refrigerator back into a plastic container. About 2-3 hours (Sometimes only an hour) I let it come up to room temp, shape and cook.

Tastes great!

Offline Jackitup

Re: Glutenboys Recipe Frozen
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 12:45:53 AM »
I haven't done this yet but this is what I am planning on trying. Make dough, ball into desired size, cover with a sheet of plastic on a sheet pan and freeze. Once frozen, vac pack individually. I would not vac pack before freezing due to the pressure collaping the dough with a regular vacuum machine or in a chamber style one the dough would blow up lake a balloon followed by a rapid collapse. When needed thaw and let rise or into covered oiled container with plastic wrap on the dough and cold rise in fridge for a few days. In an unbroken vac pack I'm thinking the dough should be usable for up to a year. Maybe use a bit more yeast on the front end to handle the freezing

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

pizzapan