Author Topic: First succesful pizza  (Read 784 times)

Offline Husky

• I Love Pizza!
First succesful pizza
« on: March 24, 2014, 10:29:41 AM »
Well, as I stated in my intro. post, pizza making has eluded me. So after doing several hours of research on this forum, I settled on the Pizza Hut Pan recipe that was posted by xPHmgr. I read the entire thread on the recipe, gleaning any additional tips.

On Saturday morning I got started. I only did two specifically different things.

1. I used solid Crisco on the side walls of my pans. Used veggy oil in the bottom.

2. I used aerosol butter spray on the rim of the crust after the toppings, in hope of getting a beautiful golden crust.

I baked on a stone in the bottom of my oven, at 500 degrees for 14 minutes exactly.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Re: First succesful pizza
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 10:47:35 AM »
Looks better than Pizza Hut!
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Husky

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 11:36:03 AM »
Looks better than Pizza Hut!

Thanks!

Sunday led me to more pizza-laden fun. I decided to try a rectangular pan. I also did another round pan but pushed the toppings including cheese to the edges. Something like a LC style of pizza.

Just for specifics, the round pan is a 9 inch "wear-ever" brand, heavy pie pan. Medium dark. The rectangular pan is a "Nordic" commercial aluminum pan, approx. 9x13.

The Nordic pan is awesome because it came with a clear, plastic snap on lid. Perfect for proofing dough. If you have several, just stack one upon another.

Offline adletson

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 11:46:49 AM »
There are few things more seductive in food than that burned cheese on the rim of a pizza.  Looks wonderful.

Offline Husky

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 12:21:33 PM »
There are few things more seductive in food than that burned cheese on the rim of a pizza.  Looks wonderful.

Oh I agree, as long as there is some nice flavor carry over. Im using Primo Gusto from GFS. Its a blend of Mozz. and Provolone. I wouldn't mind blending in something else to the mix. Maybe just a small bit of white cheddar. Something with some "zing". Or maybe try the butter spray on the cheese.  :chef:

Offline Husky

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 08:03:16 AM »
More pie making fun yesterday, Monday. I had made the dough recipe on Sunday night, proofed in my oven, then put in the fridge until the next day. I was curious what flavors would develop.

As far as I can tell, nada. I really couldn't tell the difference between fresh and refrigerated overnight. Seemed very consistent. But the experiment did give me more insight into dough weight for my pans. Im trying to achieve the perfect thickness. My last batches of pizza came out a bit to thin. But still tasty. I also, just for fun, tried the dough on a screen. That DID NOT work out very well. I didn't bother to take pictures. It came out marginally better then my previous attempts, but not anything I would care to eat.

Since the dough was to thin for my liking, I decided to make some Garlic Cheese bread. That stuff is pure evil.  >:D

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 08:09:31 AM »
Chad,

Your garlic Cheesesticks look real fine. Out of curiosity, what dough recipe did you use for those?

Peter

Offline Husky

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 10:26:19 PM »
Chad,

Your garlic Cheesesticks look real fine. Out of curiosity, what dough recipe did you use for those?

Peter

Yep, and they tasted great! Sorry for the delay, have been spending a good bit of today running errands and repairing my KitchenAid mixer. But she is proudly alive and ready to mix some dough!  8)

I used the recipe for PH Pan, posted by xPHmgr.

Heres what I did:

7 oz of dough in a well oiled 9 inch pie pan. Allowed to double.

Poured on about 1/2 cup of garlic butter directly to the raw dough. I made my garlic butter very garlic-ee and quite salty. Just rub it all over the dough. Don't be stingy. Don't worry, the salt doesn't carry over like you would think. Salt until it tastes just right, then add some more.

Then topped with about 1 1/2 cups of Mozz. I use the Primo Gusto blend from GFS. Its mozz. and provolone.

Baked for about 12 min at 500 degrees in the pan on a stone.

I like to immediately de-pan as soon as my product comes out of the oven.

pizzapan