Author Topic: Tips needed to getting pizza to peel to BS oven  (Read 893 times)

Offline flyhigh123

• I Love Pizza!
Tips needed to getting pizza to peel to BS oven
« on: March 24, 2014, 05:02:05 PM »
I just got the BS oven. I have not made Neo pizza's before but i am now giving it a try. One thing i am not good at is getting the pizza into the oven.

Question:

Do you put the pizza dough on the peel and then put toppings on, or do you put toppings on the pizza and then slide the peel under and then into the oven?

What do you put on the peel to help it slide off smoothly? I have an aluminum peel and its annoying when the dough gets stuck on the peel, it pretty much ruins the whole pizza....

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
  • Always learning, and struggling. And eating.
    • tommy:eats
Re: Tips needed to getting pizza to peel to BS oven
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 02:39:29 PM »
It seems like cheating, but I have been using the Super Peel for years now. Haven't lost a pie or been forced into making a calzone since.

If you're using metal, you'll have better luck with a perforated peel. Solid metal seems to be problematic with respect to sticking. The perforated peel will also scrape off the excess bench flour, which is a good thing. 

Consider the Super Peel. http://www.superpeel.com/

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 09:05:26 PM »
I am with Tommy.  I have been making pizza for a very long time, and can retrieve with a regular peel no problem, but launching was always a potential for a big problem.  I have been using a super peel with my BS and haven't looked back.   If you are going to use a regular peel, I have a few suggestions.  First, the longer the dough sits on the peel the more likely it will stick.  So get all the sauce, cheese, toppings ready and at hand, and treat it like a pit stop.  Put some flour on the peel, then the stretched out dough - then quickly dress and put it in the BS.   My second hint is if you took too long, or the dough was too moist, or not enough flour and you get a serious case of stick to the peel,   cover the bottom of a pizza pan with waxed paper, or plastic wrap,  put the pan on top of the pizza stuck to the peel ( with the waxed paper touching the cheese ) invert the peel, pie, and pan assembly, then lift off the peel ( the pie will stay upside down on the pan ) and lightly dust the peel again and reverse the process.  The pie will be a little dented from the process, but it is better than trying to launch a pie when 1/2 of it is moving forward and the other half is stuck.

Offline dmwierz45

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 12:09:34 PM »
I have a Super Peel and just bought a Blackstone. I was wondering, does the stone rotation ever skew the pizza while sliding it onto the peel? With pizzas made on a stone in my regular oven, it takes a couple seconds to place them with the Super Peel. In a couple of seconds, the BS stone will have rotated a little, no?

If stone rotation is an issue, do you just turn off the rotisserie motor for a couple seconds?

Also, isn't the inside of the BS a little hot? Using the Super Peel requires reaching into the oven relatively far.

Thanks!
Dennis

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 02:36:54 PM »
I just turn off the rotisserie.  But it's not necessary if you're quick.

Yes, it's hot.

Offline dmwierz45

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 06:11:15 PM »
I just turn off the rotisserie.  But it's not necessary if you're quick.

Yes, it's hot.

Thanks, Tommy. Maybe I'll get one of those BBQ mitts.

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 07:29:56 AM »
You probably don't need anything beyond just a simple kitchen oven mitt. Your hand isn't going in any further than the pizza, and probably an inch shy of that, which means it's pretty much at the opening of the oven, rather than "in" it.

But yeah, it's hot. But don't spend too much money on something that needs to shield your hand from the heat for 3 seconds.

Offline dmwierz45

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 09:59:27 AM »
Something I just thought of (man, I need to get my BS together and start MAKING pizzas and stop writing about it, already): If the stone is 700 degrees or hotter, and you use the Super Peel, does the cloth "conveyor" on the Super Peel ever get scorched? I suppose I could try to avoid touching the stone with the peel/cloth.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 10:17:46 AM »
I build the pizza on the peel. 50/50 flour/semolina dusting on the peel. Give it a few good shakes to make sure it is not stuck just before launch. If need be I bump the nose of the peel against the counter backsplash to free it up. If it is still stuck (usually that is only if it is very heavy with toppings) then lift the edge of the pie and blow some air underneath to float it - air hockey style. Be careful the first time though - it has been known to float right off the peel and onto your shoe if you don't carry the peel level.

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 06:27:45 PM »
Something I just thought of (man, I need to get my BS together and start MAKING pizzas and stop writing about it, already): If the stone is 700 degrees or hotter, and you use the Super Peel, does the cloth "conveyor" on the Super Peel ever get scorched? I suppose I could try to avoid touching the stone with the peel/cloth.
I try to keep the cloth off of the stone.

When cooking in my home oven for the past 6 years, the stone would be 650 degrees at launch. Never had any sort of problem. Now, 800 is a bit more, but again I don't think it's an issue if you're not laying the cloth on the stone. I'm more concerned about the paint that flakes off of the BS onto the pie!

I agree you need to start making pizza, but not stop writing about it.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 10:04:39 PM »
I put the super peel  right on the stone.  I got some scorching on the right side, probably due to the flame, but it still works fine. If you want to be safe, you should probably turn down the burner while launching the pie

Offline Skinny

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 02:42:31 PM »
I know some folks don't like using it but we had good luck using cornmeal and flour mixture on a wooden peel for launch in our BS. Built the pizza on the wooden peel, launch, then the aluminum peel for removal.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 04:49:03 PM »
I know some folks don't like using it but we had good luck using cornmeal and flour mixture on a wooden peel for launch in our BS. Built the pizza on the wooden peel, launch, then the aluminum peel for removal.

That's basically what I am doing except semolina instead of corn meal because it has a higher burn temperature.

pizzapan