Author Topic: Chinese BBQ Pork Pizza  (Read 365 times)

Offline derricktung

Chinese BBQ Pork Pizza
« on: March 25, 2014, 01:55:17 PM »
Has anyone every toyed with this ingredient?  Chinese BBQ Pork?  I've toyed with Chinese Sausage for awhile with no great results (couldn't figure out what to put on the pizza to best highlight the ingredient) and decided to switch to BBQ pork.

Anyone ever created a Chinese BBQ pork pizza?  Any suggestions on ingredients to pair with it?

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
Re: Chinese BBQ Pork Pizza
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 02:26:37 PM »
Is the Chinese pork homemade? I'd be interested in the pork recipe more than the pizza :)
Josh

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 02:32:44 PM »
I would think it'd go well with caramelized onions and sun dried tomatoes.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 04:00:48 PM »
@JD - The Chinese BBQ pork recipe is homemade indeed, and still needs tweaking to get to the flavor I want.  But I'm happy to share the current recipe I'm using.

@dmckean44 - Sun dried tomatoes would be interesting... There are onions in the final "filling" version that you see on the above pizza that utilize diced onions that have been sauteed... the general input from the family was that it was too sweet, and that the filling was too "dense". 

I've also wondered whether I should just used sliced pork as a topping, as opposed to using the bao filling concept as a spread as seen above...  More to toy with.  Thanks for the suggestions.  More weekend testing...

Offline derricktung

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 04:06:01 PM »
@JD

For every 1 lb of pork shoulder (you can use loin for less fatty meat, or belly for more fatty)

1 tbl shaoxing wine
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp red food coloring (yup, you read that right)
1 tsp 5 spice powder
5 garlic cloves, crushed
2" ginger root, sliced
1 tbl light soy
1 tbl hoisin
2 tbl honey
1 tbl dark soy

Slice the pork into long strips, and mix the marinade up.  Reserve 1/4 of the marinade, and use the rest in a container to marinade the strips of pork.

Marinade 12 hrs+  (I usually go about 18 to 24, depending on what's going on that day)

Roast in oven (I have a top broil option) for 15-20 minutes.  Use the reserved marinade to baste every 7-8 minutes or so.  Flip the pork halfway through and baste again. 

When pork has firmed up, take a single strip out, rest it, and give it a slice to see if the inside is done to your liking. 

The filling recipe needs even more work, but I'm happy to share the one I'm using currently if you want that as well.  Just let me know.