Author Topic: KASL or All Trumps flour?  (Read 214 times)

Offline JeffreyH

• pizza pizza pizza
KASL or All Trumps flour?
« on: November 17, 2014, 01:59:36 PM »
For people who have used both of these flours, what do you prefer?  Taste-wise, crisp crust-wise, chewy crust-wise, browning-wise?

I've recently made doughs with both flours with same basic recipes...kind of a hybrid GlutenBoy low yeast long ferment recipe along with upping the yeast a bit for a one day cold rise (so as not to wait 5-6 days for dough....although I did do that as well, and they were great pies).

In my experience, the KASL dough is SO easy to work with. It's like this silky agreeable ball of dough that even a novice with clumsy hands like me can transform into a perfect dough circle with crust.  The All Tumps, not so much. I tweaked the water up and down a number of times on AT and been careful no to overwork it and every time it's still much less agreeable to work with.  I went back to the straight up GlutenBoy recipe this past weekend and upped the yeast a bit (don't have exact number) and did a one day fridge rise and dough felt great and right but still was much less pliable than KASL.

Anyway, I prefer AT taste and chewiness slightly over KASL, but not enough to not work with KASL since it's so easy. Any thoughts on getting AT to act more like KASL or is it just the nature of the flour?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: KASL or All Trumps flour?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 02:53:55 PM »
Jeff,

Since both flours have the same protein content--around 14.2%--you might try a blend of the two flours to see if that helps.

Peter

Offline JeffreyH

• pizza pizza pizza
Re: KASL or All Trumps flour?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 08:44:34 PM »
I thought of that...that will be definitely be worth trying this week.