Author Topic: Johnny's (Mount Vernon, NY), that particular cheese/sauce look  (Read 320 times)

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
Lately some members (pdog and Mmmph) have been attempting clones of Johnny's pies with very good results.  I've been somewhat intrigued by Johnny's pies, or rather, from what I've been reading about them and from the pics I've seen.  This evening I tried to achieve that cheese/sauce look specific to Johnny's, and wanted to share what I've come up with.

I topped the skin with very finely grated, creamy and buttery whole milk mozzarella. Skin topped lightly with the cheese, with a few jelly bean sized pieces of mozzarella smashed between two fingers and scattered over the disk also. 

Next came the sauce. I emptied the entire contents of a 400 gm can of italian peeled tomatoes into a blender, along with a couple pinches of marjoram, one teaspoon of sugar and two tablespoons of light EVOO.  A few pulses later, and the sauce was relatively smooth with some very small chunks of tomato visible.

The sauce was spooned over the pie quite liberally, using the back of the spoon to spread the sauce and "fill in the cheese gaps".  While I'm not set out to clone a Johnny's pie, I read that they add freshly ground black pepper to their pies before baking. What the heck, I like black pepper ;D

This pie baked for approx 5-6 minutes (an estimate) at 300 degrees celsius on the topmost rack with the top broiler element turned on for the last couple minutes.

I feel like I got close, but still way off the mark, if that makes any sense.  One thing I may try differently in the future: blend the sauce until it's completely smooth (which would result in a "wetter" sauce.

If anyone's got any tips/suggestions on how I can better produce that cheese/sauce look, feel free to chime in!
Il miglior fabbro

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Johnny's (Mount Vernon, NY), that particular cheese/sauce look
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 10:56:03 PM »
I think a lot of the look comes from thinnly sliced - not grated cheese - and no fresh mozz.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 10:04:55 AM »
Next effort I'll use thin slices laid over the skin, as well as more sauce.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 10:32:52 AM »
I wonder if thats part skim mozz.  I always use slices, never had this look, but it reminds me of the look you get from part skim shredded cheese from the grocery store.
-Jeff

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 10:41:49 AM »
I wonder if thats part skim mozz.  I always use slices, never had this look, but it reminds me of the look you get from part skim shredded cheese from the grocery store.

Do you put the sauce on top of the cheese?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 10:45:21 AM »
I've done both.  I prefer cheese on the bottom but for large groups sauce on bottom is quicker and easier.
-Jeff

Offline caymus

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 01:33:49 PM »

I topped the skin with very finely grated, creamy and buttery whole milk mozzarella.

Did you have much trouble grating the cheese?  I am assuming fine like Parmesan or other hard cheeses.   I find that I need to partially freeze mozzarella to get a fine grate.

Thanks

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 05:50:14 PM »
Did you have much trouble grating the cheese?  I am assuming fine like Parmesan or other hard cheeses.   I find that I need to partially freeze mozzarella to get a fine grate.

Caymus - my cheese grater has 3 grating options: 1) shave 2) coarse grate - which is standard for us home pizza makers 3) fine grate - which is a step down from the coarse grate.

It was by no means a "micro" grate (think microplane) - just a notch down from the coarse grate. But yes, to answer your question - it was a bit tricky to grate the buttery mozz. It just tends to fall apart under pressure ;D.  It can be done however - using super cold mozz (or like you - partially frozen), and to grate with gentle passes - with very light pressure.
Il miglior fabbro