Author Topic: Blackstone for Other Than Pizza  (Read 952 times)

Offline Davydd

Blackstone for Other Than Pizza
« on: March 28, 2014, 12:16:49 PM »
I'm on the road in an RV so have lots of time to research this until June. I'm sold on the pizza aspects of a Blackstone but if I bought one it would take the place of my outdoor gas grill which is pretty much shot anyway. The question is how do you, or do you, use the Blackstone for other than pizza? Do you grill steaks, fish, burgers and veggies? Since I am going to have to replace my grill anyway when I get home I need to convince the other half that this is the way to go. Maybe my pizza making will be enough.  :)
Davydd

Offline Davydd

Re: Blackstone for Other Than Pizza
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 12:20:32 PM »
My first question is would this cast iron grill on top of the stone fit and, of course, work?

Lodge LSRG3 Single-Burner Reversible Grill/Griddle, 10.5-inch

By my calculations the cross dimension might be more than the stone diameter.
Davydd

Offline scott123

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 12:47:24 PM »
My first question is would this cast iron grill on top of the stone fit and, of course, work?

Lodge LSRG3 Single-Burner Reversible Grill/Griddle, 10.5-inch

By my calculations the cross dimension might be more than the stone diameter.

The cooking area (10.5") should fit on the stone fine, but the handles/tabs could push the square dimension to 12", and, if that's the case, you're talking a diagonal of 17", which would be larger than the stone.  The stone has about an inch and a half clearance to the wall, though, so this will fit- the handles/tabs will just protrude past the stone.

This protrusion will cause the tabs to be directly in contact with the flame as they rotate past it, and this may cause uneven heating, but the overlap might be small enough and the time spent in contact with the flame short enough that it might not be an issue. If you do find yourself getting extremely hot corners, you could take a hacksaw or dremel to the tabs.

Offline Dusen berry

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 02:40:34 PM »
Asparagus stuffed chicken breast and stuffed mushrooms-10 minutes :chef:

Offline Dusen berry

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 02:50:30 PM »
We cooked steak and lobster together at 350 (650-700 laser) for 10 minutes in our Blackstone Patio Oven and it turned out perfect! :chef:

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 03:25:11 PM »
We cooked steak and lobster together at 350 (650-700 laser) for 10 minutes in our Blackstone Patio Oven and it turned out perfect! :chef:
Nicely done, DB!  I haven't bought one of those big lodge pans yet, but I'm tempted.
Dave

Offline Dusen berry

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 04:19:17 PM »
Dave the pan is from Walmart and it's very lightweight they worked perfect in the oven thanks :chef:

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 07:36:43 AM »
Dusen, maybe  stupid questions, but do you use the lodge pan as the grill? That is, do you put it in the BS and preheat it, and then lay the steak and lobster on it, then turn the steak over halfway through,  on do you take the lodge pan in and out?  Does all the grease collect in the bottom - or does it burn off?

Offline Dusen berry

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 09:51:48 AM »
I do not put it in preheat the oven I put it in after the oven reached temperature I do not turn to steak half Way through I just leave it in altogether till it's done to my liking. The grease burns off as it cooks I don't have any trouble with it at all :chef:

Offline Davydd

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 11:32:48 AM »
Those examples look very good.  :chef:
Davydd

Offline Dusen berry

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 03:42:06 PM »
Thanks Davydd

Offline flyhigh123

• I Love Pizza!

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 04:42:13 PM »
I will post pics when I get it. Should fit, says 15 inch including handles and cooking surface is 13 inches.  According to the video when I watched it.

Offline Davydd

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 05:20:37 PM »
Thanks Davydd
Keep posting examples like that and I will have no trouble in selling the idea of a Blackstone to my other half.

I take it that it is not so much grilling in the traditional sense of flame under meat but more like broiling. With a raised rib griddle you should be able to drip a lot of fat for a healthy meal.

In my Google and Amazon searches I am getting tracked and getting email now with all kinds of griddles that might fit.
Davydd

Offline rkrider99

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 06:28:34 PM »
The Lodge Logic LSRG3 Reversible Grill Griddle is a perfect fit. I bought one, and I will say, it's a perfect fit. Unfortunately, the wife likes the pizzas too much to allow me to cook anything else on the Blackstone...

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 08:05:13 PM »

Unfortunately, the wife likes the pizzas too much to allow me to cook anything else on the Blackstone...

I wouldn't call that unfortunate :)

Offline GJranch

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2014, 11:00:51 PM »
Asparagus stuffed chicken breast and stuffed mushrooms-10 minutes :chef:
Looks great.  What is the pan? I was thinking the high temperature of the BS would mean cast iron only but that doesn't seem to be the case. What other pans have people been using? I am anxious to try other 'stuff' but all that pizza dough keeps getting in the way  :)

Offline Yeller

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2014, 10:59:50 AM »
I'm waiting for the brave soul who puts up a giant 14" Chocolate Chip Cookie on the BS... :chef:

Offline Jmancuso

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2014, 05:11:26 PM »
The Lodge Logic LSRG3 Reversible Grill Griddle is a perfect fit. I bought one, and I will say, it's a perfect fit. Unfortunately, the wife likes the pizzas too much to allow me to cook anything else on the Blackstone...

I'm looking at getting the same griddle. Do you have any problems using it directly on the stone? Have you ever tried using it directly on the metal platter with the stone removed?  I'm just worried about splatter from a big porterhouse getting grease all over the stone.

Thanks
James