Author Topic: Campground Dutch Oven Pizza Making  (Read 677 times)

Offline Davydd

Campground Dutch Oven Pizza Making
« on: March 28, 2014, 08:39:31 PM »
I'm on the road in an RV and carry a 12" Lodge tri-leg cast iron Dutch oven, the kind that sits on top of charcoals and you put charcoals on the lid to cook top down. In the past I've made mostly stews and cobblers with the Dutch oven. Today for the first time I tried making a pizza.

Before heading out on our current trip I made my 220 gram dough balls that I had been using for baking personal pizzas on an electric table top Breville Pizza Maker. I froze the dough balls and put them in plastic bags for compactness in a small freezer. The day before I took one out and put it in the refrigerator. This morning I put it a bowl for pizza at dinner time.

I prepared the Dutch oven with a spray of olive oil in the bottom. The oven was seasoned. I wasn't sure it was necessary to add the olive oil but it didn't hurt. The I started the charcoals to let them turn gray in a disposable aluminum basting pan because the campground did not have a fire pit or grill. When the coals were ready I put the oven on top of 10 charcoals and added 20 to the lid.

While the oven was on the charcoals I spread the dough and rather deliver it with a peel I just dropped it in the oven bottom. It wasn't my best effort. One side folded over and I straightened it out as much as I could. After the dough was in the oven I added my pizza sauce, then cheese and then the pepperoni and put the lid on top. I had everything staged and ready to go so as not to waste any time.  I wasn't sure how it would go but in hindsight I think I would have pre-heated the Dutch oven more.

The bake took longer than I anticipated. It baked a total of 20 minutes and I ended up adding more coals to the lid hoping to brown the crust better. It came out fine. The crust was finished and I was satisfied. The crust was thin on the bottom and ended up stiff and cracker like.
Davydd

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Campground Dutch Oven Pizza Making
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 08:54:07 PM »
The pie looks great. Very ingenious.

Offline Davydd

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 12:30:44 PM »
I forgot one photo. The bottom view.  :)
Davydd

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 12:52:31 PM »
looks good. I bet the campers around you were jealous.

Looks like nice weather. What part of the country are you in?

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 01:20:07 PM »
Now that's what I call camping, bravo!

Offline Davydd

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 05:34:02 PM »
looks good. I bet the campers around you were jealous.

Looks like nice weather. What part of the country are you in?
I'm in a not so primitive KOA campground in South Padre Island, Texas, about as far south as you can get while it is still cold and snowing in Minnesota. We have been here two weeks and decided today to stay another week. Then we will head north to Galvestion Island in Texas, followed by Lake o' the Pines in northeast Texas and then home for a week before heading to Indiana for the Indianapolis Grand Prix and the Indianapolis 500 Indy Car races in May. Then in June I can start thinking about our next pizza ventures. Will I still be jonesing for a Blackstone then or will something else present itself?
Davydd

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 06:11:34 PM »
We still have about a foot of snow on the ground ........ but it didn't freeze last night, so I think Spring might be coming.  ::)

I just checked a map of the US and you are a looooong way from home. How long did it take you to get there?

I'm only a few days away from heading to Cabo for some some fishing, sunny weather and cold beverages. Can't wait. Then it's back home for a bit before we head out for our annual fishing trip to the west coast of Vancouver Island. Two months of living out of the camper and fishing in the open Pacific Ocean. Maybe next year we'll spend less time fishing and make a trip south for a few weeks to visit some friends in Oregon.

Enjoy the warm weather and the rest of your trip.

Offline Davydd

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 12:39:07 PM »
It took us four days to drive our campervan RV down to South Padre Island, however, we didn't take a direct route and followed the Mississippi River through Iowa to hit up two restaurants that served award winning breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches which is another pursuit of mine. At the time we pretty much had to stay in hotels because the temps were well below freezing and we didn't get out of snow until southern Kansas. We stick to two lane highways and try to stay off the freeways because it is more interesting, less traffic and actually a lot less stressful not battling the semi trucks and tailgaters.

I have one more frozen pizza dough ball. I may do the Dutch oven again or I might try and see how the microwave/convection oven combo works.
Davydd

Offline blacula

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 09:39:09 AM »
That looks very good! 

I've not tried dutch oven pizza yet, but am planning to do it with the lid on the bottom & the pot on top.  I think the mass of the lid may work like a pizza stone.  Have you ever tried this?

Offline Yeller

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 09:44:35 AM »
That looks very good! 

I've not tried dutch oven pizza yet, but am planning to do it with the lid on the bottom & the pot on top.  I think the mass of the lid may work like a pizza stone.  Have you ever tried this?

There's another way is to turn the DO upside down place the coals on the bottom the place the lid upside down on the legs. It only works with a Campfire DO
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 09:46:44 AM by Yeller »

Offline Davydd

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 11:23:47 AM »
That looks very good! 

I don't see any advantage to doing that other than you could maybe drop a pizza on the lid with a peel. You still have to be able to bake from the top. There is as much if not more mass in the bottom of the oven as the lid. The Dutch oven I am using is designed to work with charcoals in that there are three legs on the bottom that allow the oven to be elevated just enough to clear the charcoals and a lid with a lip to be able to retain charcoals on top. The recommendations for baking is to have more charcoals on top of the lid than under then pot. I started out with 10 on the bottom and 18 on the lid. That is the usual balance for baking. I ended up adding about 6 more on the lid. What I didn't do is pre-heat enough. I started the charcoals and when they turned gray I arranged them. The preheat only lasted as long as I could stretch the dough which was no more than a few minutes. Since I was going to drop the dough in the bottom of the oven since the wall sides make it impossible to deliver with a peel I thought if it were too hot I might have trouble. Hindsight says no to that to me now. When I put the pizza in the pot and stretched it out again to the edges I realized the pot wasn't very hot at all. I then added the sauce, cheese and topping fairly quickly since I had it staged and put the lid on top. Next time, I will bring more heat at the beginning with pre-heat and more charcoals. It was fine as it was but I wasn't anticipating a 20 minute bake.

I should also mention handling a Dutch oven upsidedown would require you to have two good barbeque insulated gloves to lift the pot off the lid. I did all this with no gloves or hot pads. I use a pair of long tongs for the charcoals and pliars to lift the lid though Lodge sells lid lifters.
Davydd

Offline Davydd

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 11:29:58 AM »
I noticed none of my photos showed the Dutch oven clearly. This is the Lodge Dutch Oven I used.
Davydd

Offline Davydd

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 12:40:03 PM »
We are now in a Galveston, Texas campground right on the beach. My second attempt at a Dutch oven pizza was inspired by the location. I bought some frozen pre-cooked shrimp, the kind that goes in salads and such. I also found a frozen dough ball at an H-E-B supermarket of about 400 gram size. It was maybe a little too big for a 12" pizza but I did not cut it down. It turned out the dough ball was made in Minneapolis, my town, and really not local. I took the dough ball out of the freezer the night before and the morning of the pizza making I placed it in a bowl for a day while we visited Space Center Houston.

I pre-heated the Dutch oven with the coals. This time I used more on the top and as it turned out probably should have used less on the bottom. My next attempt I will go with lots of coals (24 + or -) on the lid and maybe no more than 8 on the bottom. I dropped the pressed out dough in the pot and shaped it as well as I could. With too much dough it bunched up a bit on the edge.

I dressed the pizza in the pot. First with my custom pizza sauce doctored with horseradish, some onion, and mozzarella cheese. I then added the shrimp and some more parmesan cheese on top. This pizza still took 18 minutes to bake. I'm resolved now that the crust will never get totally browned with this method. The bottom was totally brown this time. Thus fewer coals next time. I didn't coat the pot with olive oil this time and the pizza did not stick one bit. It popped out easily with a spatula.
Davydd