Author Topic: Determined to make UUNI work  (Read 617 times)

Offline Jez

• I Love Pizza!
Determined to make UUNI work
« on: March 29, 2014, 07:01:15 PM »
I have an UUNI oven, which i stupidly bought before consulting this forum properly. I wish i could chuck it in and get a blackstone or something even better, but i don't haver the money as i am only 20 years old. When i'm older i hope to have a serious wood oven installed in my house, but for now i have to make do with trying to make uuni work. So far i have installed a 3/8inch steel plate into the bottom, and that has got my cooking time down to 2 minutes 10 seconds. But, i want my oven MUCH hotter than that, as i am trying to make Neapolitan pizza. The best Neapolitan pizza i've ever had was cooked in 35 seconds, and i would like to get my times down to a minute. In that vein, i have a few questions for the experienced members of this board:

What exactly is the difference between thermal mass and insulation?
More importantly, is it more insulation, or more thermal mass that i need to get the oven hotter?

I dont care about the oven staying hot for a long time, nor do i care about it taking a long time to heat up, i just want to get it to 450C and above, and get my pizza cooking in less time!

Can this be achieved without building a bigger fire? Will more insulation/thermal mass actually mean the oven gets hotter, or will it just mean a more even heat/the heat sticks around for longer?? Do i just need a bigger fire, or theoretically can i achieve a hotter oven with the same fire?

I was thinking of wrapping the thing in the non-toxic version of ceramic fibre blanket. Please let me know what you guys think of this idea and the above questions.

Thank you,

Jez

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Determined to make UUNI work
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 09:52:52 AM »
Generally speaking, in an oven like the unni, the two factors that control the maximum temperature of the oven are the fire and the insulation (recognizing that added mass also serves as insulation to some extent).

Given a fire of any size, the oven will continue to heat until the heat generated by the fire and the heat lost out the opening and  directly through the metal structure are in equilibrium. As such, there are two general ways to increase the operating temperature - more heat (bigger fire) or better insulation. More heat can often be problematic. You may not have room for more fire, or if you do, it might cause heat imbalance problems. Adding insulation slows the heat loss through the structure (dome and walls) and allows heat to build up higher inside.

Adding mass acts like insulation to some extent because whatever you add like has a lower thermal conductivity than the metal structure of the unni oven.  Mass, however, is more important for balancing heat - helping to create an environment with a more even and consistent heat. Adding some mass on the top with some sort of brick or tile and then wrapping the whole thing with an appropriate insulating material may help.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Gosseni

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 07:07:24 PM »
Put it on Craig's List or EBay.

Online barryvabeach

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 08:35:07 PM »
Jez, keep working at it.  I think both insulation and thermal mass will help. I have a BS, and haven't tried to go to 35 seconds for a bake - for me 2 to 2 1/2 minutes comes out great for a semi NY style. 

pizzapan