Author Topic: DKM's thin crust  (Read 3185 times)

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
DKM's thin crust
« on: April 02, 2004, 01:13:55 PM »
Iím really happy with my Chicago now and my New York is great.  It is time to go back to the thin crust again.

What was the final verdict on how much water to use in DKMís recipe?  Didnít we decide 2/3 cup was not enough water and ĺ too much?
 :-\
Randy

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re:DKM's thin crust
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 01:29:13 PM »
I made two thin crust pizzas yesterday. One was made with 2/3 cup water (5.35 oz.) and the other with 7/8 cup (7 oz.).

The pizza made with 2/3 cup of water barely held together when I pressed it into a ball. After an overnight rise, It was very difficult to roll out... and I do mean difficult! Took me about 10 minutes with a rolling pin to get it to the right diameter. The pizza made with 7/8 cup of water came together nicely and rolled out easily after its overnight rise.

After baking and tasting the two side-by-side, the results: The 2/3 cup water pizza was very crisp, crunchy, and crackery. The 7/8 cup water pizza was still crisp, but was not nearly as crunchy. I think I'm going to have to say that one needed a bit more water, and the other a little less... so I'm going to say that 3/4 (6 oz.) should be just about right.

Here's a little trick that I used that made the bottom perfectly cooked:

I started the pizzas off in my cutter pan. I like the way the cutter pan adds a uniform lip around the pizza. After about 3 or 4 minutes in the oven, I tested to see whether the crust would slide around in the pan. Once the crust released from the pan and it would jiggle, I tipped the pan up and slid the pizza out onto the hot pizza stone. The stone browned the bottom perfectly... These two pizzas were my best ones yet.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 01:42:38 PM »
Something else to try  :)  Can't wait. 1 week to go!!

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 01:58:18 PM »
Now I call that a great reply.  Not only did I get an answer, but I got a documented taste test to go with it, not to mention a nice tip.

Speaking of tips and stones, a friend of mine preheats one of those thin round stones then places it over the oven vent (usually the back burner) to keep pizza crisp for later eating guest.

Randy

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2004, 02:42:16 PM »
Here's another tip:

Use a food processor (with steel cutting blade) to mix the dough:

Activate the yeast in warm water. Add the sugar to the water until dissolved.

Put flour in food processor bowl. Add salt and shortening (I used Crisco instead of vegetable oil). Turn on the food processor and let everything mix for a few seconds. Slowly add the water/yeast/sugar solution while the processor is running. When the flour has the consistency of coarse cornmeal, turn off.

Now, at this point the "dough" does not look like dough. It looks like coarse cornmeal... very moist cornmeal!

Turn the "cornmeal" out onto a countertop and, using your hands, squeeze the bits to form a ball. You'll be amazed that it looks just like a regular dough ball when you're finshed... but the dough will be very stiff.

Let rise for 24 hours at room temperature, then roll out, dock, sauce, top, and bake.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004, 03:03:12 PM »
I've been making mine KA bread flour.  Did you are DKM find a big advantage when you switched to high gluten flour?

Randy