Author Topic: Costco Pizza Sauce  (Read 1823 times)

Offline TheRailroadBulls

• Fatboy Style!!
Re: Costco Pizza Sauce
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2014, 11:08:50 AM »
i am sorry if I struck a cord?? i was only letting people know that you could buy the sauce that they use at the Costco Food Court. They have made it available for sale. You have to admit, Costco sells a LOT of pizza everyday. So, their pizza sauce has to be doing something right, despite the dough.

I'm personally glad you posted this cause I didn't know they sold this. My last Costco visit entailed me going in there to get some flour and finding out they only sold ONE kind. I was shocked. A warehouse FULL of food and they only offered ONE type of this bulk staple that EVERYONE buys. So I haven't been back.

I have tried their Ninas tomatoes and I thought they were sub-par to standard SM's so I haven't been back for any pizza supplies since. I goto GFS now where they have more of a selection. Especially of higher gluten content flours and raw tomato products.

When you said it makes 160 (mighta gotten than wrong) ounces of sauce, were you say for each individual bag? Or was that for all the bags in the box combined?

I'd still probably not trust this stuff... but my folks get Costco pizza alot and you have a point about how they "must be doing something right." If only they'd upgrade from those old Middleby PS360 ovens!!! :-)
"Conveyor ovens make McPizza." - Scott123

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2014, 01:50:25 PM »
This sauce is not at the regular Costco, it is only at the Costco Business Centers. if you really want to try their sauce on your pie, i am sure that you can ask to buy a cup full at your local Costco to try at home.

Also, it makes 190 oz. That is one and a half cans of a # 10 can size.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2014, 01:52:32 PM »

Not everyone revels and seeks the best in food the way we do... and not all of us can afford to eat only the best all the time.

That is one of the reasons that I make pizza at home. it costs less and the other reason is for better tasting pizza.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2014, 08:12:36 AM »
Maybe that something they are doing right is the price?  McDonalds sells a lot of hamburgers... Walmart sells a lot of everything... volume does not necessarily equal quality and  perceived quality does not necessarily equal actual quality.  I'd be willing to bet that they don't sell a lot of pizza to members of this forum.

It's all about the price in my opinion too but it's also a way better slice then you would get from the big 3 chains too.  That has to be quite embarrassing to the chains.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2014, 08:13:57 AM »
This sauce is not at the regular Costco, it is only at the Costco Business Centers. if you really want to try their sauce on your pie, i am sure that you can ask to buy a cup full at your local Costco to try at home.

Also, it makes 190 oz. That is one and a half cans of a # 10 can size.

Wow what a ripoff.  $20 for that?
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2014, 10:28:48 PM »
Went to my Local Costco in Huntington Ny area
and they don't stock the concentrated pizza sauce
Went too the area where they make fresh pizza and the person told me and showed me that they don't make pizza from concentrated pizza sauce but at the time they were making pizza sauce out of the can....No reason why the person would lie........JT

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2014, 11:38:00 AM »
Wow what a ripoff.  $20 for that?

Actually, it is a good price. It is 6 packets of sauce for $19.99. Each packet makes 190 oz of sauce which is one and a half cans of a # 10 can size. I only took a picture of a single packet for the thread.

Also, it is my understanding that every Costco uses the same ingredients at the food courts, to keep the pizza consistent in flavor. I do know that the Costco Deep dish pizzas, use another sauce.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2014, 12:55:20 PM »
Quality is a relative term/thing, I once had a professor tell me that quality is nothing but a perception, and since perception is reality the two are one and the same. In summary, quality is what you perceive it to be. Some companies have even redefined quality as it pertains to their operations. For example, McDonald's doesn't put quality on the back of their burgers, but instead it is placed on customer impression, in this case meaning consistency. The reason why people go to McDonald's is not to get the best burger ever, but instead they go there because they know what they are going to get for their money (consistent quality food and service, in a clean environment is the name of their game). The same goes for other big box chains such as Domino's (fresh, hot, fast). While they may promote great tasting pizza (by whose standards?) it sure sounds better in an advertisement or commercial than average pizza (average by whose definition?). You see, it's an endless loop where quality is concerned, this is why the mantra in the restaurant industry is good/great food will make some of the customers happy, while good food when combined with great service will make everyone happy. Food brings them in, but it's the service that keeps them coming back.
Remember this commercial? "Folgers buys only the finest coffee beans" So, if they bought only the finest coffee beans, what was your favorite coffee made with? Probably not the "finest" because Folgers bought all of those. Sure, everyone here loves the hearth baked style of pizza, that's why we're here, but to say that it is the only decent or "real" pizza is missing out on a lot of really good, and interesting eating with a really different take on flavors. Enjoy life for all the variations and experiences it provides.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2014, 09:06:04 PM »
As I said my Local Costco have NO clue what concentrated pizza sauce is.
They showed me a Can that they just opened too start making pizza for the day
And my Local Costco does not sell the concentrated pizza sauce the folks are talking about on here.
..............JT

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2014, 09:30:18 PM »
Out here it's only the Costco Business Center locations that stock it.  They're geared mostly to supplying restaurants.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2014, 11:13:24 PM »
You can buy it online at Costco you can pay another $20 in shipping.(kinda high}
But seems that ALL do not use the same sauce from what I have seen....JT

pizzapan