Author Topic: 6 in 1  (Read 3845 times)

Offline Wendylady

• I Love Pizza!
6 in 1
« on: May 05, 2006, 01:09:39 PM »
Hi,

I used to LOVE Giordano's pizza, but now I keep kosher and miss it instead.  I googled "Giordano's pizza recipe" and found this site with a recipe I plan to try Sunday by someone named "Buzz".  I have spent hours calling friends and family and googling "6 in 1" with no success, so I have joined this site to ask the experts.  What are "6 in 1"?  I assume this is a can of tomatoes.  Is "6 in 1" a brand?  I only buy kosher products, so if 6 in 1 isn't kosher, what am I looking for?  A 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes?  I hope to hear back soon!  Thank you for your help.  Also, I've never done this before and am not sure how to post things, so hopefully this worked. . . Wendy

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: 6 in 1
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 01:21:17 PM »
Wendy,

This link should familiarize you with the 6-in-1 tomatoes: http://www.escalon.net. You may want to send Escalon a message via their website to see if the tomatoes meet your requirements to be kosher.

Peter

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 01:22:40 PM »
6 in 1 is a brand of tomatoes sold by Escalon products

http://www.escalon.net/products.asp

I don't know if its Kosher or not  It is a type of crushed tomatoes with a wonderful fresh sweet taste favored by many Chicago pizzerias.

A 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes will do the trick, but be careful: the quality varies WIDELY from brand to brand.

Good luck.
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 03:02:58 PM »
Yes, 6 in 1 tomatoes have a very distinctive flavor... not just "any" canned tomato will do. Many (including myself) say that 6 in 1 tomatoes are the "secret" to making restaurant-quality Chicago deep dish pizza.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 09:07:03 PM »
Welcome Wendy!

The Escalon 6-in-1's carry the symbol of a capital U within a circle; which is the certification of kosher from The Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations (OU).

The other Escalon products in my pantry also show this kosher symbol, so at this point I'm assuming that all Escalon products are Kosher.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Wendylady

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 07:28:23 AM »
Thank you so much!  I tried the recipe on Sunday with mixed results.  I will try again with a can of 6 in 1 and Ceresota flour.  I had used what I had on hand instead.  I found the crust delicious, but a little too crumbly for a thin crust (I made both a thin crust and a deep dish), and the topping/sauce was a little watery.  I will see how it comes out with the right ingredients.  Oh, and the recipe called for "pizza seasoning".  Is there a particular brand I should be looking for?

Thanks again!

Wendy

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 08:56:54 AM »
Oh, and the recipe called for "pizza seasoning".  Is there a particular brand I should be looking for?

Thanks again!

Wendy

Wendy,

You have ascended from the ranks of the pizza commoner (who uses pre-made and pre-mixed ingredients) to the pizza cognoscenti. Up here in this rarefied atmosphere, we break things down to their elemental simplicity, and create our own pizza components from scratch.

I would guess that "pizza seasoning" is a loose, generic term for herb/spice mixes created according to the mass-market impressions of corporate executives and food technicians.  It is SO generic, it makes about as much sense as "meat seasoning" or "grill rub."   Most likely, they all contain some combination of oregano, basil, possibly marjoram, garlic powder, hot pepper, salt and black pepper.  Penzey's "Pizza seasoning" contains large amounts of fennel.   There is no standard.

I would suggest you create your own spice mix starting with oregano (turkish), basil, and a hint garlic powder.  Sugar mellows out acidity.  The goal is to produce something you like.   
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 10:37:32 AM »
Yo Fio!

I think you hit on something.  This forum covers every aspect of pizza except "PIZZA SEASONING".  It seems this is the secret ingredient that wafts through the neighborhoods and pulls in customers by their nose.  I think we have a new thread.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 03:24:12 PM »
Wendy

Save adding the sugar until last. The 6-in1's are naturally sweet and you may find them sweet enough as they are. To my surprize some members do add some sugar.

The 6-in1's may also be too watery. You can make the sauce a day ahead which will allow flavors to meld and liquids to evaporate. Or if you want the freshest taste possible you may add some of Escalons Bonta brand concentrated crushed tomatoes. I cant get the Bonta's right now so I use the overnight method.

I have written some posts on seasonings for pizza sauce. When I have more time, I will collect them and start a new post for seasoning under the ingredients topic.
But for now here are a few This first one is meant for Hunt's but can be a good general guid to work from when creating your own sauces. the second is on storing and ideas for usingup the rest of the sauce.

I had to DIG to find my general measurement guide that I created a very long time ago to use with AngelaMia.
This is NOT A RECIPE it is a suggested amount to use IF you choose to use that seasoning/spice/herb etc.
Please do not add all of these to one batch

Amounts for 3 1/2 - 4 cups AngelaMia Concentrated Crushed tomatoes (about half the can)

0-3 cups water
Tablespoons
   2 Tbsp dehydrated onion
   1 Tbsp olive oil
* 1 Tablespoon dried sweet basil
   1 Tbsp dried parsley
* 1/2 Tbsp dried oregano
* 1/2 Tbsp chili powder blend (usually contains cumin, cayenne, garlic and various chili powders)
Teaspoons
   2 1/2 tsp paprika
* 2 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
   2 tsp cayenne
   2 tsp cumin
   1 tsp salt (DO NOT use if adding garlic salt, celery salt etc.)
* 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
* 1/2 tsp granulated garlic, garlic salt or powder
   1/4 tsp celery seed

* Highly recommend using these ingredients and adjust to taste.

Black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and celery seed or celery salt are potent. Use sparingly.

Keep in mind that flavor will be enhanced after refrigerating over night and usually improves flavor.
The liquid in the sauce can evaporate, and you may wish to add water.

When you get you hands on Escalon or Stanislaus dont use sugar. The AngelaMia can benefit from it.

have found 2 way to ruin a good sauce; overheating and freezing.

My experience with freezing these sauces:

When using plastic containers: (permanant or disposable types)
continers must be nearly full

the sauce swells as it freezes and needs a bit of room at the top.
             If the sauce dosen't have enough room to swell, the lids tend to pop off or the container develops cracks
                  and it will become freezer burnt.
containers should be filled full enough to leave as little air possible between the lid and sauce

Sometimes containers crack when removing from freezer to defrost. I've had them crack just from the temperature of my hands.
Use tight fitting lids and thicker stonger plastic containers.

[li]plastic wrap MAY help but tends not to cling at freezing temperatures. pressN seal might work better. I haven't tried this in the freezer yet but it makes a big difference in the refigerator.[/[li][/li]

li]

Is never as fresh tasting as when you first open the can.
I believe you can freeze for sauce for 2-3 months when packaged properly. The longer they are stored the more separation and deeping of the bright red. Product can also become meally when frozen too long.
Extend refrigerator storage with lower temperatures. The lowest you can set it before things start to frost.

It's actually pretty easy to use up the rest of the sauce without wearing out your taste buds.
Add a splash of marsala wine for an elegant chicken marsala
Add cream for a cream based sauce
Add some good basalmic vinegatte and vegetable flakes for a refreshing tomato salad dressing
Add various sm canned chili's (try fire-roasted) and fresh onion for the perfect salsa fresca.
Add cooked Italian sausage and make a lasagna to freeze for another night.
Add canned kidney, pinto or pink beans and canned chili's with browned ground beef in a crock pot to simmer  on low overnight. Then have cornbread and chili.
Add canned pineapple chunks fresh slices of red bell pepper a splash of soy sauce and vinegar for sweet-n-sour chicken or pork over rice.
Have some baked stuft chicken breast fillets filled with your favoirte pizza cheese and fresh tasting tomato sauce.

I hope this helps.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Wendylady

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 07:52:11 AM »
Thank you all so much for your suggestions and ideas!  I guess I should have realized that anyone who belongs to a pizza making forum would probably not buy pre-made pizza seasoning.  The first thing I did was google "pizza seasoning recipe" and got nowhere.  I took some "Italian seasoning" (shaking my head with the certain knowledge that this wasn't the right thing, especially since I don't use pre-made seasonings in my other cooking, but I had it tucked away for some reason) and added fennel.  It worked, but I'd rather have some idea of proportions for pizza seasoning that people like, especially if anyone can make it taste like Giordano's.

And about opening the lid of a container that has been in the freezer, running a little water over the lid will keep it from cracking.  The water doesn't have to be hot.

:), Wendy

Offline buzz

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 11:45:30 AM »
Wendy--

Giordano's uses 6-in1's, which are excellent! But you can experiment with different brands of crushed or ground tomatoes, as well as whole canned plum tomatoes which you drain and crush by hand. Contadina sells cans of crushed Roma tomatoes, which are very good.

Personally, I always add sugar to my sauce (1 tsp. per 28-oz. can), but you have yo experiment to suit yourself.

The seasoning I like is called "pizza seasoning" from Cost Plus, but Del Alpe makes a good seaoning blend (available in grocery stores), and you can easily make your own with dried basil, oregano, fresh garlic, etc. Giordano's adds red pepper flakes for some heat.

Keep experimenting!

Offline Wendylady

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2006, 11:02:56 PM »
Thanks for your reply.  I have a can of 6 in 1 mingling with basil, oregano, etc. in the fridge.  It's the "etc" that makes me nervous since I don't have a sense of proportions needed.  I am a baker and measure precisely in most of my other cooking.  I will check out the Cost Plus pizza seasoning.  I'm making up  the dough early tomorrow am--my daughter requested pizza for her 4th birthday.  Thanks for helping make her special dinner delicious!

:),
Wendy

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 11:39:17 AM »
I'm making up  the dough early tomorrow am--my daughter requested pizza for her 4th birthday.  Thanks for helping make her special dinner delicious!

Wendy

Wendy,

Something to consider when your four year old gets to be 6 or 7.  I've done pizza birthday parties for my kids.  Since my two know how to build a pie, we held a "make your own pizza" party.  I made a bunch of smaller dough balls and set out bowls of sauce, cheese and toppings.  I set up the dough for each of the kids at the party at a slow, but consistant rate, so there was sufficient time to build them and for me to move them through oven.  The birthday boy/girl helped their friends build each pie.  It was a huge hit and everyone brought home their leftovers.  The only downside for some of the kids was that we keep a Kosher style home (no traif, no mixing of meat and milk, but not necessarily Kosher products/meat), so there was no pepperoni, sausage, etc.

It was a little messy compared to other party themes, but fun for everyone and one the kids (both mine and their friends) talked about for a long time.

Jack

Offline Wendylady

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2006, 12:22:13 PM »
What a great idea!  I happen to have a 6 1/2 year old as well, so maybe I'll suggest it to her.  We keep kosher as well (only heckshered products) and are vegetarian, so there would only be veggies, but a few companies make vegetarian "pepperoni" and "sausage" (kosher, too) that you might want to try.  What did you do for a cake?  A brownie "pizza"?

Wendy

Offline buzz

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2006, 11:06:09 AM »
I season the sauce by routine now, but for a 28-oz. can of tomatoes I use:

.50 tsp. Kosher salt
A couple of grinds of fresh black pepper
1 tsp. sugar
1 clove garlic, minced or crushed
.50 tsp. "pizza seasoning", or the same with half dried basil, half dried oregano (you'll have to adjust this according to your tastes, so start with less and add more gradually until it suits you)
2-3 shakes from a spice bottle of red pepper flakes

You can add olive oil, too, if you wish!