Author Topic: My New Peels  (Read 807 times)

Offline kdefay

My New Peels
« on: March 31, 2014, 03:07:22 AM »
I got some new peels made last week as I have been unable to source them from the restaurant suppliers in this area.  The only ones that have been available are 12", and that just isn't big enough.  We gave our wood guy one of our older ones as a template, and few days later he came back with these beauties! 

He made three for us, but these two were the best ones.  They are 16" and made of teak.  The even weigh slightly less than the original commercially made ones that we had before.

These are only made from two pieces of wood.  The cheaper commercial ones had about nine small pieces of wood glued together so they were doomed to split apart easily.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 03:21:00 AM by kdefay »
The USA, Myanmar, and Liberia are the three remaining countries in the world who do not use the metric system.  That's some fine company to keep!!

Buy a scale, think in grams, and welcome to the 21st century!!

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: My New Peels
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 12:04:52 PM »
BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for sharing. Are you taking orders?
Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline kdefay

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 12:52:55 AM »
Getting them is easy.  Shipping them to the US would cost more than buying them.  If you ever decide to take a holiday in Thailand, I can arrange to have one made for you.
The USA, Myanmar, and Liberia are the three remaining countries in the world who do not use the metric system.  That's some fine company to keep!!

Offline petef

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 01:27:20 AM »
These are only made from two pieces of wood.  The cheaper commercial ones had about nine small pieces of wood glued together so they were doomed to split apart easily.
Great looking teak peels!

I'm a woodworker and have made my own peels using softer wood such as pine. I've used both wide boards and narrower ones. I have found that the wider the boards, the more prone they are to warping (cupping). The trick I used was to use narrower strips of boards, alternating the wood grain end patterns and to use small finishing nails as dowels to help keep the glued boards together and aligned.

The wider boards seem to warp after getting them wet upon cleaning, so avoid wetting them. Just use a scraper to clean them. If you do wet them make sure you wet both sides evenly. I think my wide boards had warped after I only got one side wet.

---pete---

Offline kdefay

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 02:00:09 AM »
He said the two pieces are pinned together as well as glued.  Do you think a hardwood like teak will be as affected by water as pine?  Teak has been used in boats for so long because of it's resistance to water damage.

Honestly, I don't know much about wood, so I'll be interested to see how they hold up over time.  The two in the photo are basically backup peels.  I don't even plan to use them until my primary one (the other one he made that is not in the photo) becomes unusable which could be a few years from now.  I just needed to have a good supply because they are not easy to get here.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 02:10:59 AM by kdefay »

Offline petef

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 02:19:17 PM »
He said the two pieces are pinned together as well as glued.  Do you think a hardwood like teak will be as affected by water as pine?  Teak has been used in boats for so long because of it's resistance to water damage.

I would think that teak would be more stable than pine, but just try to avoid getting just one side wet. I you ever we it to clean it treat the other side exactly the same and that should help to keep it from warping because both sides will expand and contract equally as it dries.

If your peel ever warps it can be repaired by slicing (table saw) the wide boards into narrower ones and re-gluing them all together.

Good luck!

---pete---

Offline adm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 04:51:01 PM »
To avoid getting them wet (and hence any issues with warping), scrape after use with a dough or butcher's block scraper and then give a good rub over with white vinegar. That'll kill most harmful bacteria without needing to wash with water.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 05:02:49 PM »
Now for the bad news, they're too pretty to use! LOL :-D
Those might be the prettiest peels I've ever seen. They would make a great gift for any pizza lover.
Have you given any thought to selling them over the internet?
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline kdefay

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 03:13:14 AM »
Tom,

As I'm based it Thailand, I imagine shipping would cost more than the peels themselves.  These cost about $40 each to have custom made, so I would think the market for something like this is very small.

Kirk