Author Topic: Pizza stone temp after launch?  (Read 573 times)

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Pizza stone temp after launch?
« on: March 31, 2014, 12:16:41 PM »
I have been curious as to whether and how much my stone drops in temp once I launch my pie.  I have taken the temp of the stone on the edges not covered by the pie while cooking but yesterday I decided to measure in the middle of the stone while baking my pie.

I started out with a middle stone temp of 650 F, I launched my pie, let bake a minute or so, until the dough was set, I then lifted the pie  from the edge until I could measure the middle of the stone again. 489F. I have measured 435-450F on the exposed edges of the stone during bake but now I know what I am dealing with under the dough.

Oven is a 2Stone, heated by a propane burner which I increased the flame after launch.

Anyone else ever do this test on their stone?
Might be interesting to hear about your stone temps during a bake with different ovens.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
Re: Pizza stone temp after launch?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 12:54:22 PM »
Great data, and it would be good to know what it is under a pie after a minute in a 650 degree Blodgett 1000 for comparision.

Offline petef

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 01:09:14 AM »
Yes, I have done something similar, except that I measured the stone temp just before launch and just after baking on a 4 to 5 minute bake. I started at about 650 deg F and after the bake it was about 550 deg F.. I measured on several occasions and the 100 deg F drop was consistent.

Here's my setup (first post), which is a Weber Grill and my custom made pizza oven and unglazed quarry tiles which are only about 3/8" thick. Also see reply#12 for details on heating & temp measurements.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19861.0.html

---pete---
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 01:34:34 AM by petef »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 10:12:01 AM »
Mark,

You can see what happens to the yeast and enzymes in a pizza dough as the pizza bakes at page 18 of the Pendleton Flour Mills brochure at http://www.pfmills.com/filebin/pdf/technical_informational_booklet_v1-opt.pdf. So, until the internal temperature of the dough reaches about 185 degrees F, which should be about the time the pizza is removed from the oven, the pizza will be absorbing heat from the pizza stone, thereby lowing the stone temperature at the end of the bake. As you can see from the last sentence of Tom's post at Reply 1 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26934.msg272696;topicseen#msg272696, the baked pizza will only reach a temperature in the 200 to 210 degrees F range. So, your readings, and those of petef as well, seem to be about right for your particular situations (ovens and stones).

Peter

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 11:28:04 AM »
Pete, thanks. So it would seem that the "bake temp" is not accurately measured by the stone temp, pre launch, unless of course, your stone or floor stays a constant temp. I have never owned a WFO, but wonder if the floor temp stays more constant?

Mark

Offline petef

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 02:13:06 PM »
Pete, thanks. So it would seem that the "bake temp" is not accurately measured by the stone temp, pre launch, unless of course, your stone or floor stays a constant temp. I have never owned a WFO, but wonder if the floor temp stays more constant?

Mark

I'd say the more mass your stone has, the more consistent it's temperature will be, but who says you need a constant stone temperature to achieve the desired bake?  I think it's important to know the stone temps and variations in temp so that you can achieve consistency each time you bake. Bottom line is, how the bottom bakes and what starting temperature was needed to get the best results.

You may also have the option of varying the temperature to compensate for the stone dropping in temperature during the bake. For example, in my kitchen gas oven, I stabilize the internal temp to about 450 deg F and the stone lays on the oven floor where it measures about 675 deg F.. I launch the pizza and turn up the oven temp by 50 degrees and this gives me about a 5 minute bake time with even browning top and bottom.

Bottom line, the IR Thermometer is a great tool to use for determining the best temperatures for each person's oven setup and the style of pie to be baked.  We should probably be measuring stone temps and ambient air temps  just prior to launch, 1 minute into the bake, and just after finishing the bake. These measurements will tell the full story.

---pete---

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 08:41:21 PM »
I was curious and Walter was good enough to shoot his Blodgett 1000 oven with his IR gun before and after launching the pizza.  He said: "Went from 548 to 508 after the pie came off the stone 6 minutes later."  So it looks like even the best of ovens show a 40 degree drop.  He concluded with: "This really doesn't matter to me because the overall design of our ovens spits out perfectly balanced pizzas all day long."  So now we have a benchmark of a first class oven!

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 09:19:36 PM »
I was curious and Walter was good enough to shoot his Blodgett 1000 oven with his IR gun before and after launching the pizza.  He said: "Went from 548 to 508 after the pie came off the stone 6 minutes later."  So it looks like even the best of ovens show a 40 degree drop.  He concluded with: "This really doesn't matter to me because the overall design of our ovens spits out perfectly balanced pizzas all day long."  So now we have a benchmark of a first class oven!

our ovens are a great design.  We have run 50 pies through them 1 after another with similar results from start to finish. The stones in our ovens are the originals which contain asbesctos.  They hold heat like nothing out there today and also there are no hot/cold spots. We never rotate pies.  they go in and stay put on the stone till done. This lets you keep the oven door closed much more than the newer deck ovens.  I swear it is like the more they work the better they perform.  These ovens were desigined to put out hundreds of pies a day.  To be honest using my home oven is no fun at all and over the summer when school is out I go in every couple weeks just to make some pies.  It is amazing the great pies people produce here with home ovens and many are way better than pro shops are making in top deck ovens.  I know back home in NJ/NYC you will still see these old ovens.  They are so simple that if you can change the spark plugs on a 1960's car you can fix anything with them and every part is readily available.  Ours are basically 40 years old with all original parts other than a pilot light, thermocoupler. 120,000 btus per deck is hard to beat.  Walter
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 09:21:17 PM by waltertore »

Offline Adrian

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 10:17:32 PM »
The stones in our ovens are the originals which contain asbesctos.

Are you allowed to sell things prepared in the oven as food?
Edit: I just read: The German federal office of health declares asbestos in soapstone as no risk.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 10:23:30 PM by Adrian »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 08:09:59 AM »
I have been curious as to whether and how much my stone drops in temp once I launch my pie.  I have taken the temp of the stone on the edges not covered by the pie while cooking but yesterday I decided to measure in the middle of the stone while baking my pie.

I started out with a middle stone temp of 650 F, I launched my pie, let bake a minute or so, until the dough was set, I then lifted the pie  from the edge until I could measure the middle of the stone again. 489F. I have measured 435-450F on the exposed edges of the stone during bake but now I know what I am dealing with under the dough.

Oven is a 2Stone, heated by a propane burner which I increased the flame after launch.

Anyone else ever do this test on their stone?
Might be interesting to hear about your stone temps during a bake with different ovens.

Mark
Love the post Mark.  I'll have to check my BS oven/stone numbers.

The only potential value I can add off the top is, that in my old "Rotisserie Pizza Grill", I regularly tested the difference between leaving the bottom burner on and turning it off on a 4 minute bake.  The conclusion was that there was no discernible difference.  I posted on that before, but going from memory, that was a fairly dense 3/8" cordierite stone.

Dave

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 03:48:05 PM »
I have a mid 80's oven in the rental I'm in. Max temp is 500*.  With a hour plus preheat, I could measure almost 500* on the 4 cm soapstone on the bottom near the baking element. The pizza stone is 16" and about .25". It will lose 35-40 degrees after bake one in the pictured configuration.  This is in part why I made a change from the round pizza stone on top to 1/2" steel.  I don't have a shot of the IR on the steel after the bake. However, I am making two 4 day cold ferment pizzas tonight. I will measure before and after if the steel temp is also of interest to you. I always put the soapstone in the position shown to help sustain oven temp. Without it I have real problems with temperature and recovery time.
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 03:55:13 PM »
Data from the steel sounds good to me. Thanks

Mark

Offline zaafreak

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 10:04:13 AM »
I use a LBE with a 60K BTU burner and a corderite 1/2 inch thick kiln shelf.  Last night I launched my pies at 650 and when I removed them after 3:30 the stone was 529.

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 12:21:26 PM »
I tried the steel tonight with 2 hour pre-heat on 500*. This time without the soapstone on the bottom. Just the steel about 5" from electric heating/broiler element.Temp on steel was 500* prior to turning on broiler.  When I went to IR Check the temp prior to dressing the pie. I was surprised at the temp readings so I took several measurements in different places. Then I launched the pie ant after 2 minutes (with broiler off) and took the temp again. I turned on the broiler for the last minute of baking. Then once again after removing the pie but I had left the broiler on before the last temp pic so this means the steel did come back up to 545 from 455 very quickly.  This is the first time I have experienced temps more than a degree or two over 500*. The multiple temps confirm the readings were not an erroneous temp reading. I was surprised and yet because of lack of experience with higher oven temps/steel temps - I over baked it a bit. Pie and temps pics below: 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 12:26:44 PM by Donjo911 »
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 12:48:45 PM »
Don, thanks for the data. We are collecting some interesting #s here. Your pie looks good enough to eat!!!

Mark