Author Topic: Best 13%ish flour for NY Style Crust???  (Read 5498 times)

scott123

Re: Best 13%ish flour for NY Style Crust???
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2014, 08:33:31 PM »
Wow, AJ, you're not messing around :)

It was your previous questions about steel plate that prompted me to finish writing the steel plate buying guide.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=31267.0

Before I had the chance to get it up on the site, though, you jumped the gun and bought aluminum. I didn't expect you to be quite so motivated. I should have told you an answer was forthcoming, but I didn't want to commit and then not deliver the goods. Sorry.

The bad news is that most 500 deg. ovens run a bit hot, and you probably could have gotten away with steel, and steel, right now, at 525ish, might make a slightly better pie with less fussing around/formula adjustment than aluminum. Mabye. The good news is that aluminum, thanks to John (Seven) has made some tremendous strides recently.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=31172.msg311305#msg311305

and, while steel presently has the longer track record, aluminum is showing tremendous potential. No matter what, aluminum is going to produce a far superior pie to the 9 minute Fibrament pies you've been doing.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2014, 05:20:43 PM »
So far I've only read the original post.

I've recently switched from All Trumps to Superlative, and I'm liking the Superlative. I like All Trumps, too, but sometimes it's just too chewy/tough. I was worried that Superlative, at 12.6% protein, wouldn't be as strong as I like, but that hasn't happened. I've decreased the oil content of my NY style dough from 2% to 0%, and it's working. Check out my Mighty Pizza Oven thread (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=31200.0) to see some of my Superlative pizzas. I've also used it for some of the pizzas I made in fazzari's "Every trick" thread (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30434.msg306326#msg306326).
Ryan
http://www.ryanspizzablog.blogspot.com

Disclaimer: Don't necessarily believe anything I say here. My brain ain't quite right anymore (unless it is). If I come off as rude or argumentative, that's probably not my intention. Rather, that's just me being honest, to myself and everyone else; partly because I don't have enough time left to BS either you or myself. If you are offended by anything I say, it's probably because you think lying to people (to be "polite") is a good idea. I don't.

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2014, 11:06:37 AM »
AJ72: I grew up in the NYC pizza world.  I can assure  you Full Strength will give you a classic NYC crust.  I am talking the lat 50's through the late 70's.  Today most NYC metro area pizza is garbage.  My mother came here from Italy and  I learned about dough as a child.  My benchmark is very high and our pies meet it pretty much on a daily basis.  Our pies are baked in 1970's blodgett 1000 ovens which are still considered by many the best NY style oven ever made.  Walter
Walter, that pic of that slice in post #16 looks AMAZING.

This might be a funny question but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, how'd you make it?  ;D

Offline waltertore

• The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2014, 11:26:53 AM »
Walter, that pic of that slice in post #16 looks AMAZING.

This might be a funny question but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, how'd you make it?  ;D

thanks 9slicePie :)  I use general mills full strength flour and ice water that brings the finished temp to the low-mid 60's.  The dough is balled and put in the fridge 3-7 days.  My current dough formula is:

water 63%
IDY- .2%
salt -1.85%
evoo- 2%

We make 20oz , soon to go to 21oz, dough balls and open them to 18" pies.  They are topped with 7/11 tomatoes, some fresh garlic, fresh basil, Italian oregano, grande low moisture whole milk mozz, baked at approx 560 degrees for 8 or so minutes in a blodgett 1000 deck oven.  when they come out we grate DOP Parm Regiano and fresh basil leaves.  We offer pepperoni and homemade sausage.  The sausage will be offered at the start or this school year.  It comes from my grandfathers recipe.  He came over from Italy and was a butcher in a slaughter house in Newark NJ.  I helped him with his meats at home as a kid but forgot the details.  I  figured it out with the help of my 85 year old mother this summer.  I grew up in the NJ/NYC pizza world and try to honor that and add my little tweak. Walter

The ovens we use are the tops IMO for Ny/NJ style pizzas
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 11:28:33 AM by waltertore »

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2014, 01:25:18 AM »
^ Thanks Walter

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2014, 02:23:36 PM »
Hi guys--

I know I'm in serious pro company on this thread, so I maybe i shouldn't even butt in (whoops..too late ;)) Unless I'm missing something, all of these flours mentioned are well beyond the reach of, and unavailable to (or just plain way too much flour!) for a modest yet committed home baker (like me) . I mean, I can't even walk into RD (but you'll note that I know what RD means.. :)   So...is there a flour that one can get at the supermarket or through Amazon or otherwise online in modest qualities that could do the job along the quality lines you're mentioning here? I didn't realize the differences in flour content  were so huge! But it does explain some of my quality disappointments. Thanks!

Offline parallei

« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2014, 03:13:04 PM »
for a modest yet committed home baker    So...is there a flour that one can get at the supermarket or through Amazon

I've had perfectly good results with both the following:

King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour (protein about 12.7%)
Gold Medal Better for Bread Flour (12.5%, I think).  It is unbleached.

As you know, much has to do with the way one manages and handles the dough.  It is certainly not all about the flour!

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 03:15:20 PM by parallei »

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2014, 04:52:09 PM »
Great, thanks for that..both easy to find   And thanks also,  Waltertore for your story a few entries back. Stories like that are part of what make this a great forum! And that is a gorgeous pie!

JPB

Offline CIZ28

• Pizza Purist
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2014, 11:10:49 PM »
Even though most "pros" in usual slice joints use All-Trumps and So Strong, which are both very good flours, my vote is for Full Strength. Just scale the dough down for a little less water and oil. It should be able to take a little more heat too. I honestly prefer the taste and composition of medium protein flour. It's more traditional. KABF is a great counterpart to Full Strength.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 11:18:28 PM by CIZ28 »
"If it's not well done, it ain't done well."

Offline roksngr

« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2015, 12:56:15 PM »
I didn't see Conagra Kyrol in that list. But Ive search it and it seems like that might be another good option.
It is bromated. 14% protein. Ordered thru my local cash n carry here in the east bay.
Coming Soon! Building my Mobile Pizza Trailer. Hopefully open by June 1, 2015

pizzapan