Author Topic: My first 16" pie new Baking steel  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Rinoxxx

• I Love Pizza!
My first 16" pie new Baking steel
« on: April 01, 2014, 01:43:18 PM »
My first 16" pie using my new bigger Baking steel 18x18x3/8 that I just received . My previous steel was 16x14.  All my previous Pizzas have been 14" pizzas. Stretching and launching this bigger pie was definitely more challenging  :-D.  Hopefully I will get Scott123's approval now  :-D
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 02:34:37 PM by Rinoxxx »
Sam

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
Re: My first 16" pie new Baking steel
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 02:39:13 PM »
Nice job, Sam.  What flour and cheese did you use?
Mary Ann

Offline Seven

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 02:56:11 PM »

Ditto! I'm amazed by the crust coloration...can you post your recipe? What was the bake time and temp? Any undercrust shots? I haven't been able to get that much color using my aluminum plate and 2 minutes of broiler...cheese starts browning well before the crust.

Offline Rinoxxx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 03:41:55 PM »
Thank you Mary Ann :) 
I used KA Sir Lancelot mixed with Pillsbury bread flour 50/50 ratio. Cheese was Saputo.
Ditto! I'm amazed by the crust coloration...can you post your recipe? What was the bake time and temp? Any undercrust shots? I haven't been able to get that much color using my aluminum plate and 2 minutes of broiler...cheese starts browning well before the crust.
Thank you very much  :)
Formula I used
Flour 100%
Water 62%
Salt 2% sea salt
IDY .25
Oil 2%
Sugar 1%
Mixed everything in KA mixer until it was between slightly rough and smooth, roughly about 4-5 minutes on speed one. Then put dough ball in an oiled bowl and straight into the fridge for 3 days. 
I take out dough about 3 hours before baking. Heated steel plate at 550 for 1 hour and fifteen minutes. Baked the pie for 2-3 minutes and then finished with broiler on high last 2 minutes. Total bake was 4-5 minutes.  Sorry didn't get any shots of under pizza, I will next time, wife was nagging me to stop taking pictures so we can eat dinner  :-D
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 03:44:02 PM by Rinoxxx »
Sam

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 03:52:42 PM »
Did she like it? ;D
Mary Ann

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 04:51:13 PM »
That is some good looking pizza there.

scott123

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 06:56:50 PM »
Sam, that's great news about your new steel plate.  Is it approval worthy, though?  Let's nix that KASL and we'll see  >:D

Seriously, though, that's fantastic.  Welcome to the big leagues  ;D

Re; the Saputo... are you grating a large block by hand? You're absolutely certain it's whole milk, correct?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 07:01:08 PM by scott123 »

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 08:11:47 PM »
Nice pie, what oven will fit a steel plate that large?

Offline Rinoxxx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 09:44:40 PM »
Sam, that's great news about your new steel plate.  Is it approval worthy, though?  Let's nix that KASL and we'll see  >:D

Seriously, though, that's fantastic.  Welcome to the big leagues  ;D

Re; the Saputo... are you grating a large block by hand? You're absolutely certain it's whole milk, correct?
Lol I am still going through my 50 lb bag of KASL then I will switch :-D The Saputo is definitely whole milk, I get the block from RD. I grate the cheese using my KA attachment or my Food processor shredder attachment. Does it not look right to you ? it tastes great, I love the flavor of it.
Sam

Offline Rinoxxx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 09:46:06 PM »
Sam

Offline Rinoxxx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 09:46:34 PM »
That is some good looking pizza there.
Thank you very much  :)
Sam

Offline Rinoxxx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 10:03:47 PM »
Did she like it? ;D
Like I mentioned to you before she hates pizza, I actually had to make something different for her :-D .....It's a crime she chose eggplant parm over pizza !! :'(
Sam

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 10:07:07 PM »
Like I mentioned to you before she hates pizza, I actually had to make something different for her :-D .....It's a crime she chose eggplant parm over pizza !! :'(

I know.  That's why I asked.  LOL!

Now hold on a second, how could you say that about eggplant parm?!  It's one of my favorite foods EVER!  After pizza, of course  ;D
Mary Ann

scott123

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 10:08:33 PM »
Does it not look right to you ?

No, it doesn't. That freckled browning on the plain pie is indicative of defective cheese. On the mushroom pie, you sauteed the mushrooms in fat beforehand, correct?  If you look at the area around the mushrooms, you'll see oilier spots that have no browning.  A good cheese will look like that on a plain pie.

I'm not pointing fingers- I don't think it's anything you're doing.  But something's not right with the Saputo.

How old is the Saputo you're using?  Does it grate pretty cleanly or is it a bit gooey?

I've never used this technique for pizza, but I've used it for long baked lasagna and it works very nicely- if you feel like you're happy with a darker rim (which looks great), then I might mist the cheese area with a little water right before baking.  Just be careful not to get the rim or the peel. The water should both slow down the bake on the cheese a bit, as well as promote oiling off.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 10:10:28 PM by scott123 »

Offline Rinoxxx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 10:09:56 PM »
I know.  That's why I asked.  LOL!

Now hold on a second, how could you say that about eggplant parm?!  It's one of my favorite food EVER!  After pizza  ;D
lol I love eggplant parm too, but not over pizza !!  :-D
Sam

scott123

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 10:13:55 PM »
Eggplant parm?  That's got to be my least favorite parm.  I'm not a huge fan of chicken and tomato, but chicken parm is pretty good. Veal, though... oh boy.  Ground veal or scallopini, I don't care. Both are amazing.

If I'm eating eggplants, it's babaganoush.  That's the stuff! ;D

Offline Rinoxxx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 10:21:27 PM »
No, it doesn't. That freckled browning on the plain pie is indicative of defective cheese. On the mushroom pie, you sauteed the mushrooms in fat beforehand, correct?  If you look at the area around the mushrooms, you'll see oilier spots that have no browning.  A good cheese will look like that on a plain pie.

I'm not pointing fingers- I don't think it's anything you're doing.  But something's not right with the Saputo.

How old is the Saputo you're using?  Does it grate pretty cleanly or is it a bit gooey?

I've never used this technique for pizza, but I've used it for long baked lasagna and it works very nicely- if you feel like you're happy with a darker rim (which looks great), then I might mist the cheese area with a little water right before baking.  Just be careful not to get the rim or the peel. The water should both slow down the bake on the cheese a bit, as well as promote oiling off.
I picked up the Saputo about 2 weeks ago from RD. It grates with no issues. I actually put the mushrooms on the pie raw, I don't sautee them first. You think maybe the cheese is burning under the broiler heat ? I get the brown spots usually after a minute or so under the broiler.
Sam

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 10:31:43 PM »
I'm just a rookie around here, but do you think there is too much cheese? I have been a bit heavy handed with my cheese, but I'm learning that less is more in some instances....and i LOVE cheese! Just my 2 cents.
Chaz

Offline Rinoxxx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2014, 10:36:31 PM »
I'm just a rookie around here, but do you think there is too much cheese? I have been a bit heavy handed with my cheese, but I'm learning that less is more in some instances....and i LOVE cheese! Just my 2 cents.
I used about 10 oz of cheese on a 16" pie, according to the topping chart that's about medium.
Sam

scott123

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2014, 10:46:10 PM »
I picked up the Saputo about 2 weeks ago from RD. It grates with no issues. I actually put the mushrooms on the pie raw, I don't sautee them first. You think maybe the cheese is burning under the broiler heat ? I get the brown spots usually after a minute or so under the broiler.

Actually, the raw mushrooms support my water premise.  They leeched water as they baked, which helped with the melt. On one of your future pies, try a water mist.  You can also mist water on the cheese prior to topping, but it makes it clump a bit.

How close is the steel to the broiler? If the broiler is very close- such as less than 4", then it tends to freckle rather than evenly tan and bubble the cheese. Is it an extra powerful broiler? It's not IR or anything, right?

That's a little more cheese than I use, but it's still within the parameters.