Author Topic: 17 days in the fridge, low hydration skin  (Read 222 times)

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
17 days in the fridge, low hydration skin
« on: April 01, 2014, 06:33:58 PM »
This pie is my reward for doing great on my diet. Steve turned me onto the FatSecret  website. I've lost 7 lbs in 3 weeks.  and I am eating some pretty tasty stuff  that's low in calories. Thanks Steve!
I've been playing around with this recipe for a while. It's my basic cracker crust recipe. The hydration is 45%, and I used 1/8 teaspoon of IDY. It sat in the fridge for 17 days before pulling. It was a little stiff for hand stretching. I could have let it go another day or two, and It would have been an easier stretch. It was topped with sausage, whole mozz/prov mixture, olives, bell pepper, red onion, mushrooms. The sauce was Great Value crushed tomatoes with Garvey's Chi sauce/Pete's PJ clone sauce blend. I added some cayenne to up the heat.
It was very, very crispy, but it still had some chew. The crust had a lot of flavor, and the smell in the house was wonderful. It smelled like I was baking bread. The crust did not have a bready texture, but did have a slight sourdough taste. I thought it was one of my better crusts. My taster was impressed.
I will try to refine the process, I would like to get the time down to 14 days. Maybe a little more yeast and warmer water. I don't know how to define this style, so I thought the general pizzamaking thread would be a good place.

One bad thing about this pie. 1 slice has 594 calories. I used the FatSecret website to plug in the ingredients. It sure tasted like it too.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 10:47:31 PM by nick57 »

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
Re: 17 days in the fridge, low hydration skin
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 06:37:09 PM »
Some pie pics

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 06:49:22 PM »
That's an interesting pizza you into there Nick. I like it...a lot:chef:

CB
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 07:00:36 PM »
Thanks Bob!! I have been having fun with the long rest experiments. I've still got a lot of work left on this style. I really like the crispy crust I get with this technique. I need to get the window down to 2 weeks. This dough ball was a lot stiffer than the last attempt. I'll figure it out with some more trial and errors. It's close to a Chi Town thin in texture, but is a lot more flavorful. In a couple of pics the crust looks  a little dense and doughy. This was not the case, it was light and chewy. It was one of my better pies, and the smell while cooking was heavenly.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 07:12:32 PM »
Thanks Bob!! I have been having fun with the long rest experiments. I've still got a lot of work left on this style. I really like the crispy crust I get with this technique. I need to get the window down to 2 weeks. This dough ball was a lot stiffer than the last attempt. I'll figure it out with some more trial and errors. It's close to a Chi Town thin in texture, but is a lot more flavorful. In a couple of pics the crust looks  a little dense and doughy. This was not the case, it was light and chewy. It was one of my better pies, and the smell while cooking was heavenly.
It sounds great and looks even better. This thread is reminding me about several different others from the past. One favorite being discussions about "long lost doughs" that get forgotten about in the back of the fridge. That awesome flavor and elusive..."hey man, I made my house smell jus like my favorite pizza joint!" :chef:

Maybe Fazzari will come along here Nick and talk about his latest "poolish" stuff that accelerates  the process.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 07:23:34 PM »
I've checked out some of fazzari's threads. Not sure I am ready for that big step. But I never thought I could make a good pie either. I need to get some good bourbon and get to reading. The smell still lingers 2 1/2 hours after cooking.

Bob, I loved your post today in the Chit Chat section.