Author Topic: Ryan's Mighty Pizza Oven Thread  (Read 3038 times)

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Ryan's Mighty Pizza Oven Thread
« on: April 03, 2014, 09:55:51 AM »
I recently got my hands on a Mighty Pizza Oven. Bert (member MightyPizzaOven) has clearly done a ton of work over the last couple years to create and promote the MPO, and I think it's way past time for him to receive a little support. So hopefully my pictures and rhetoric will provide a little help for Bert.

So far I've only made three pizzas in the MPO. (I'll post pictures of two of those pizzas in the next couple replies.) Even though I'm still in the beginning stages of learning how to use the MPO, I've already made what may have been the best NY style pizza I've ever baked. Consequently, even though I had already been impressed by what Bert has done with the MPO, I'm now even more impressed.

My first pic is a simple shot of my grill with the MPO and a little aluminum foil on the sides to keep heat from escaping. An important bit of information: This grill was thrown away by the couple who live across the street from my parents. It was on the street with the rest of their trash when my mom saw it and asked the neighbors if she could take it. If I end up posting pictures of what you think are good-looking pizzas, just remember that the pizzas were baked in a grill that was no longer wanted.

EDIT: http://www.mightypizzaoven.com/.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 02:41:48 PM by Aimless Ryan »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Re: Ryan's Mighty Pizza Oven Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 10:06:18 AM »
Here's a pic of the first pizza I baked in the MPO (3/26/14). This one was kinda burned around the outside because I stretched the dough about the same size as the MPO's bottom stone (13"). I don't remember much about this pizza because I had company and my mind was very occupied. But I do remember that it was good. It wasn't great, though, mostly because the pizza was too big for the stone.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 10:10:42 AM »
Thanks Ryan, looking forward to see more of your pies and read about your MPO experience.
Bert,

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 10:21:31 AM »
Yesterday I made two pizzas. I don't have any pics of the first one because I delivered it to someone who works at the YMCA and I didn't want the pizza to sit for any longer than necessary. This pizza looked very good, although it didn't taste nearly as good as the pizza I made an hour or two later.

Here are some details about this pizza: I used a bigger bottom stone than the MPO stone (15.75", rather than 13"). This allowed me to easily make a 14" pizza. Even though this larger stone theoretically cuts out a lot of air flow from the grill and keeps the top stone from getting as hot as it may get with a smaller bottom stone, I don't feel like that happened. That is, the top of the pizza came out great. I kinda wish I had taken at least one pic.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 10:45:12 AM »
And here's the second pizza I made yesterday. This one was really good; better than the pics look. I probably should have given the top stone a few more minutes to heat up before adding the bottom stone.

As with the previous pizza, I used my 15.75" stone on the bottom. However, this time I covered the bottom of the stone with aluminum foil, to keep it from getting too hot for NY style. I'm not sure exactly what the bottom stone temperature was, but I think it was a little over 600. I'll provide more of that kind of detail once I develop a routine for using the MPO.

Dough Formula
100% Superlative flour
63% Water
0.3% ADY
1.75% Salt
No oil or sugar

Mixed for 10 minutes, then immediately scaled, rounded, and refrigerated. 40-48 hours in the fridge at 38-40 degrees. I didn't use this dough until 4 or 5 hours after I pulled it from the fridge. That worked very well.

Ever since I started making pizzas in my new home (a couple months ago), I've had a very difficult time figuring out how much yeast to use, but I seem to have gotten it right this time. I had been using 0.45% or 0.50%. Another change I made was to omit oil (because I've recently switched to a lower-protein flour than I've used for the last decade for NY style). I'm thinking these were very good changes.

Pic 1: Whole pizza.
Pic 2: Slice.
Pic 3: Same slice, but showing the crumb.
Pic 4: Upskirt.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 01:32:57 PM »
Nice pie Ryan, If you want darker rims, I recommend following tip 1, 2 , 3 as per http://www.mightypizzaoven.com/mpo-heat-management/  and positioning your bottom stone closer to the front of your grill as much as possible. By doing that, you would be forcing majority of the  hot air flow form the back, and caoncentrating more heat to the back of your pie. You would need to rotate your pie few times to get even browning on the rims.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 01:34:40 PM by MightyPizzaOven »
Bert,

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 02:35:28 PM »
Ryan,
Nice looking pie!! Great cheese melt and balance - looks awesome!
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 02:47:46 PM »
Thanks Donjo.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 05:34:01 AM »
Ryan, try the setup below as your time permit:

- cover 1/2 way around your stone with aluminum foil,
- turn 1st and 3rd burner on high and 2nd burner on low,
- place top stone on the bottom shelf, 
- insert an insulation sheet in the top shelf and push it to front using toggle bolts.

Top stone heat will suffer, but the concentrated hot air flow will make up for it -  I think.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 05:38:02 AM by MightyPizzaOven »
Bert,

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 09:08:35 AM »
I will do that, Bert.

I made a pizza for my parents yesterday, using the same setup as I used before. It took longer than usual to heat up, and the bottom stone still wasn't ready when I took the topped skin outside to launch. I think it was only about 450, and I think the grill (or my setup) was the problem. It still turned out pretty good, though. I'll try to post a couple pics later.

One thing, though: I'll probably have to keep the top stone on the second shelf, because the 15.75" stone is a bit taller than the 13" stone. (It has feet.) If I keep it on the lowest shelf, I don't know if there is enough clearance for a pizza.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 09:19:01 AM »
- cover 1/2 way around your stone with aluminum foil,

Why only halfway around? And which half? (Front, back, some other half?)

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 10:21:54 AM »
cover the open space between MPO cover and bottom stone (see 1st part of my sketch above). THis will leave enough space for hot air to flow from the back of the oven and flow at faster rate.

How thick is your 15" stone? if it is less than 3/4", I will keep it on the bottom shelf. Such thick stone, it will need more time to heat up. And I would allow more time for the top stone to heat up, try to get it in the low 800s before you insert bottom stone. Top stone temperature will  drop fast once you insert bottom stone, but it will get MPO convection supercharged.

I have 15" stone, I will give it a try it on my grill. never made pies larger than 12-13".
Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 10:31:55 AM »
I missed the part about your stone having feet. So, in addition to covering front half of open space between MPO and your bottom stone, you would need to block the gap between your stone and your grill grates to prevent air from flowing underneath the front portion of your round stone. I hope this make sense, if not, I will draw a sketch later.
Bert,

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 10:49:24 AM »
Here are the two pics from last night. I felt rushed because my mom said she wanted to get back home in time for the beginning of a hockey game. Of course, my parents didn't leave until well after the game started, which means I rushed the pizza for no reason. Like I said, though, it still came out pretty good. Also, the dough was intended to be used a day earlier.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 11:07:00 AM »
That looks good Ryan...
Bert,

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2014, 11:36:29 AM »
One thing I forgot to mention: The pizzas in this thread could not have been made in an unmodified grill, or even a partly modified grill. I've done it that way enough to know. You can make a good pizza in an unmodified grill, but it is essentially impossible to get the top of the pizza to fully bake in an unmodified grill (because there is a ton of bottom heat and very little top heat). In an unmodified grill, I can occasionally get the bottom of the pizza to turn out great, but there is never anywhere near enough top heat (unless I'm really lucky). And if you do get the top finished how you like it, you'll likely end up with a pretty dark (burned) bottom. (See pics throughout this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=20591.0.)

Also, my oven cannot produce anything like the pizzas I'm getting out of the MPO.

Now that I've had a few chances to mess around with the MPO, I'm starting to feel like it might be more useful to me than a Black Stone (which I don't own and have never used). It's considerably cheaper than the Black Stone, doesn't require you to clutter up your patio with two large grill-type devices, requires much less storage space than a Black Stone, seems to work well with a large stone, was created by one of us, etc.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 09:26:12 PM »
Great looking pies. I also think a lot of the MPO. I'm glad to see you getting great results from it.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2014, 10:24:16 PM »
Thanks Craig. I expect them to improve considerably after I get a better feel for the MPO.

You made some pizzas in an MPO, too, didn't you? If you have some pics, would you mind sharing them here?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2014, 10:32:07 PM »
Thanks Craig. I expect them to improve considerably after I get a better feel for the MPO.

You made some pizzas in an MPO, too, didn't you? If you have some pics, would you mind sharing them here?

I think they are all in this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=20334.0
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2014, 09:12:19 AM »
I've made it to the top of page 2 of your thread so far, Craig. Those pizzas look awesome (like all of your pizzas). I think the most telling aspect of your MPO pizzas is that they look a lot like the pizzas you produce with your WFO. And it looks like Bert has taken your input seriously enough to make some of the changes you suggested. That says a lot about Bert, and I think it's a good reason why experienced pizzamakers and aspiring pizzamakers could get a lot of good use out of the MPO.