Author Topic: Materials we use for our home ovens? And why?  (Read 277 times)

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Materials we use for our home ovens? And why?
« on: April 03, 2014, 07:33:22 PM »
Well, a recent thread on this site has me thinking. Oh no Mr. Bill :o !

For some time I have played with the idea of owning a WFO. Short end is I can't afford $5K or more for an oven. So what if a wfo comes along that I can afford BUT, the materials it is made of are different from traditional WFOs.

Seems like there are many different materials used to line our pizza ovens: stone, other refractory  material, metal and clay or other earth products.

We all are familiar with more traditional WFOs that use rock, brick, stone, mortor etc. And many of us use home gas or electric ovens that are all made with metaL walls and in fact are a metal box like structure with a heating element.

Many times our choices of oven are dollar based, and I bet many times our choice is based on what effect the particular material our oven is made of has on our finished product, the pizza pie.

I wish I knew how each material affects the cooked pie, or doesn't? Hence,  this thread.

Just asking for your help, opinions and thoughts on the matter. ???

Mark

"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline barryvabeach

Re: Materials we use for our home ovens? And why?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 08:32:19 PM »
Mark I know zip about WFO, but my guess is that the materials are chosen to absorb heat while the logs are burning, and slowly release it when the logs have burned to embers, and have been moved out of the way to cook pizza.   Any time you have a large thermal mass- you can store lots of heat and release it gradually.   In contrast, if you can generate enough heat to cook the pizza all at once  ( 2Stone, or Blackstone ) you don't need thermal mass, or even insulation, you just keeping pumping in enough heat to keep the oven at the temp you want.   In my limited experience, the main reason for choice of deck is balancing top and bottom heat.  If you made a metal deck, and heated the oven to 700, the whole oven, including the deck, would get to 700, and the metal would conduct heat to the bottom of the pizza so quickly, it would char before the top browned. In contrast, if you use a material which conducts the heat to the bottom of the pie less efficiently, you can get the oven to 700 and the bottom wouldn't burn as quickly.   Just my .02.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
Re: Materials we use for our home ovens? And why?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 08:00:00 AM »
If you made a metal deck, and heated the oven to 700, the whole oven, including the deck, would get to 700, and the metal would conduct heat to the bottom of the pizza so quickly, it would char before the top browned.   Just my .02.
Barry, your opinion is worth way more than two cents.  At the pizza expo a few weeks back, there was a really nice chap that designed and built an all-metal WFO.  It was parked right outside next to Blackstone and the VPN booth and their 2 WFOs.  I spent a lot of time with this guy.  The first time to understand the setup.  The next day he told me about when the VPN guys threw one of their 00 pies on and scorched the bottom.  The third day I tried to gently explain the issue you describe about steel conductivity and balancing top/bottom heat.

Dave

pizzapan