Author Topic: Adjusting a recipe  (Read 1549 times)

Offline Karkadinn

• I Love Pizza!
Adjusting a recipe
« on: March 30, 2006, 12:11:07 AM »
I've found a crust recipe that comes really close to what I'm trying to do with my pizzas (imitation Pizza Hut), but the recipe assumes that you have a pizza pan.  All I have are cookiesheets, though I'm also hoping to buy a good stone eventually.  I've tried the recipe and using it with either of the recommended temperatures results in a pizza with an uncooked center.  Any suggestions on how to adjust this so I get a fully-cooked pizza without burning the poor thing (as I've done once before, by underestimating the mighty broiler)?

In large mixing bowl combine:
2 cup   Bread flour
1 cup   all-purpose flour
1/4 cup   Parmesan Cheese
1 pkg   yeast
2 tbl   yellow cornmeal
2 tsp   granulated sugar
2 tsp   Honey
1 TSP   Baking Powder
1/2 tsp   kosher salt
1-1/4 cup warm water (120 deg f)
2 tbl   olive oil
Mix until all ingredients are combined. knead until smooth -- dough will be slightly sticky, but elastic.  Let the dough rise in the refrigerator overnight to help develop the dough's flavor and elasticity.
Brush a 16 pizza pan heavily with olive oil (2 tbl), sprinkle lightly with cornmeal then place dough in pan, brush top of dough with additional olive oil and push into shape with the heal of your hand.  Add 1-1/8 cup pizza sauce, sprinkle with 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, then add your favorite toppings; pepperoni, bacon, onion, etc. Top with crushed oregano. Make sure oven is hot and use the very lowest oven rack position. Do not open oven door while baking!
Black Pizza Pan -- Bake 9-10 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit, then 5-6 minutes under HI broiler.
Aluminum Pizza Pan -- Bake 11-12 minutes at 425 degrees Fahrenheit, then 3-4 minutes under hi broiler.

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
Re: Adjusting a recipe
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 08:08:53 PM »
Have you tried to double pan it so it wouldn't cook as quickly?

Offline chiguy

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 11:29:58 PM »
  Hi Karkadinn,
 You may have taken the recipe too literally, what may be working for one guy may not work in you're particular case. All ovens  may bake differently, you also should factor in that there is significant temperature loss upon opening the oven at the start of baking. Another thing is that whether using a black pan or aluminum, they can have different gauge sizes that can alter the baking times a bit.
 I think you basically should keep trying different bake times to see what will work in you're particular case.
 I assume the broiler element used as pat of the baking process is used to try to imitate a impinger conveyer oven. This will probably not work well in you're home oven and you may have to eliminate the part all together and shoot for longer bake times.
                                                                                                   Goodluck, Chiguy 

Offline NoNeck

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 04:09:15 PM »
Hey, I used to be a cook at Pizza Hut ...do you have any questions?

Some info to start:

Their ovens were VERY hot: maybe 600 F and they were convection,
I'm pretty sure the pans were aluminum, new ones sure looked aluminum
They used vegetable oil, not olive oil,
We'd add water only to the flour mixture, so I don't think honey would be part of the dry ingredients,
They'd put A TON (more then you'd think is enough) of oil in the pans before putting in the dough,
The dough would "proof" in a warm proofer for hours then refrigerated till a pizza was ordered.

-NoNeck