Author Topic: Just getting started...  (Read 1668 times)

Offline sconder

• I Love Pizza!
Just getting started...
« on: May 10, 2006, 04:33:47 PM »
Hello!

I am just getting started in pizza making and have a quick question. I have a friend in the food service equipment business and he gave me an aluminum peel and a 16" screen. Is there any "prep" or "seasoning" I should do to either of these items before I use them?

Thanks,

Sam

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Just getting started...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 08:03:18 PM »
sconder,

All you need to do for the aluminum peel is wash it in soap and water, rinse, and dry.  As for the screen, see Replies 3 and 4 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2894.msg24858/topicseen.html#msg24858.

Peter

Offline sconder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 08:29:08 PM »
Thanks Pete!

Also, any general "Pizza 101" articles anywhere on the site? (or elsewhere)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 09:14:59 PM »
sconder,

Just about every pizza topic you can imagine has been covered somewhere on the forum. However, one thread that I often refer beginning pizza makers to makers to for the basic NY style is this one: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2223.0.html.

If there is some particular aspect of pizza making that you would like to know more about, feel free to ask.

Peter

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 08:45:24 AM »
sconder,

Let me add my 2cents worth as someone who is relatively new to making decent pizzas and to pizzamaking.com.

It's been my experience that this forum is sort of a microcosm of the Web in general.  There's no strict organization, so it's not always easy to find the exact thing you're looking for, but if you spend some time just poking around, you'll find some very interesting stuff, and will be a better pizza maker in the end.

Every day, I check out a few threads and follow various links, picking up tidbits of new information along the way.  Pizza is a very subjective thing.  Some like pan pizza, some like neopolitan, and some like a cracker crust.  So you've got to take every opinion with a grain of salt and understand that one person's "perfect pizza" is another person's "what the hell is that??"

I've made my own dough a few times in the past, and it was pathetic to the point where I wouldn't give it to my dog.  So when I hear discussions on whether dough should be hydrated to 65% or 66%, it's all lost on me, because I'm just trying to get something edible.  But all of the discussion isn't wasted on me.  I'm beginning to understand the nuances of the different types of yeasts and the necessity of extremely high heat in your oven.  I also now know that "autolyse" isn't something that a used car dealer tells you.

Between you and me, my pizza has improved in the past couple of months to the point where I like it better than anything I can buy locally, and if it never gets any better, I won't have a problem with that.  But it's difficult not to get caught up in the enthusiasm of the heavyweights here on this forum who are really bringing to an art form.

So don't expect to find exactly what you want right away.  This site has such a wealth of information that you can only assimilate it over time.
--pat--

Offline Wazza McG

• Aussie Aussie Aussie .... Oi Oi Oi !!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 06:44:43 PM »
Hi Sconder,

Most of the regulars will get satisfaction that you are improving your pizzas for home use and at the end of the day that is what it is all about.  Taking the next step, which may mean purchasing items like a digital scale, a good quality mixer etc are things you have to evaluate.  I believe you can still make great quality pizzas without these items, however, they do provide consistent results.  Enjoy this site as there is so many facets to consider to perfect your pizza.

Regards,

Wazza McG
Fair Dinkum - you want more Pizza!  Crikey ! I've run out out them prawny thingymebobs again!