Author Topic: Switching to Aluminum Plate  (Read 546 times)

Offline AJ72

Switching to Aluminum Plate
« on: April 05, 2014, 03:39:16 PM »
Hey guys, after years of baking NY Style on Fibrament stone in a 500 degree max electric oven, I got tired of the 9 minute bake times and pie results.  After reading around here, I was happy to learn that switching to steel or aluminum would greatly reduce my bake times.  I decided on aluminum and picked up a 1/2 inch plate from cut2sizemetals.com and it will arrive on Monday.  So I have 2 basic questions regarding the plate.  First, is there anything I need to do to the plate to prepare it or is it ready to bake on after simply cleaning it?  Secondly, which rack should it go on?  My fibrament went on the lowest rack, but I have read that some put aluminum on the top rack.  Thanks for your tips in advance.

Offline SlimTheMan

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Switching to Aluminum Plate
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 08:14:56 PM »
My opinion would be that it would need to be seasoned first... ???

My pizza pans are alum/tin coating...they never get grease or pan sprayed before using as they were well seasoned before use...

Never washed either...not sure what you should do...

Offline Seven

Re: Switching to Aluminum Plate
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 11:26:58 PM »
I seasoned my aluminum plate with a very thin coating of vegetable oil in a 250 degree oven for maybe half hour before increasing the temp to 500. The plate took on a nice patina as shown in the attached pic. No tackiness whatsoever. I first cleaned the plate to remove any oils and oxidation. Regarding track location, I put mine towards the top so that the top of the pizza is about 8 inches from the broiler.

pizzapan