Author Topic: Kitchen Aid Shredder Attachment  (Read 697 times)

Offline dmcavanagh

Kitchen Aid Shredder Attachment
« on: April 05, 2014, 06:09:21 PM »
Some people have expressed interest in this in the past, so I snapped some pictures while I had mine out tonight. I don't use it very often but it does do a great job if you have a lot of cheese to grate. They come with three shredding cones to handle any chore.

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: Kitchen Aid Shredder Attachment
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 06:12:08 PM »
the machine

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 06:13:25 PM »
another

Offline Seven

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 01:13:04 PM »
Thanks for the picture! I've been considering getting one of these but I think my KitchenAid isn't long for this world. I just did a 6 pound block in the food processer fitted with a shredding disk yesterday...I'm not thrilled with the results (too fine) but it's better than hand grating!

Is there a cone with bigger holes? I love the thick shreds I get from a friend's pizza shop.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 04:44:39 PM »
actually there are 4 cones, two for shredding and two for slicing, so you can get many different results. This was the fine shredding cone, I plan to experiment with the fine slicing cone in the future.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 07:13:48 PM »
Here's a comparison look at the shred from a Presto salad shooter

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 11:11:21 PM »
I appreciate the photos. i wanted to ask about clean up. Is it easy to clean or a hassle?

Sometime when i know that i will be making a lot of pizza, i will buy shredded cheese to save time.  Also, when I buy cheese from a Pizzeria, it is always shredded cheese because they do not have the time to shred it either.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 11:10:47 AM »
My KA shredding attachment is easy to clean. I just take it apart and put each piece in the dishwasher. There's really only two pieces to clean; sometimes three. I could do it by hand pretty easily, I suppose, but I don't see any point in doing that, since I always shred more than enough to last longer than my dishwasher remains idle. I only ever use one of the four shredding/slicing "cones." The other three take up space in my hardest-to-reach cabinet area.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 11:46:27 AM »
Here's a comparison look at the shred from a Presto salad shooter

How do you like the Presto salad shooter?  Is the "professional" or regular one?  Pros/Cons?

I have perused a few threads here where it is mentioned but the desirability (or lack) does not seem clear to me.  I usually just shred with the baby version of a KitchenAid food processor..

Thanks,
Mitch

Online barryvabeach

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 09:16:54 PM »
I have the Presto Professional, it is pretty loud -  so I only use it if I am making several pizzas. For one or two pizzas, I use a box shredder. 

Offline SweerMK

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 09:23:34 PM »
The shredder attachment is phenomenal!! How can anyone live without the scalloped potatoes produced by this attachment!!  ???

A always "volunteer" to run and clean the attachment if the wife says we are gonna have the scalloped taters!!

I "do" the onion for the recipe with the shredder just before I to the potatoes.

Add some home ground whole wheat, to die for!!  :drool:

I have to admit, we do drive it with a Hobart.

Offline Seven

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 12:10:29 PM »
I borrowed my sister in-law's KA shredder attachment for a block of mozz. I honestly didn't like it...the shreds were very inconistent in size, some were very fine, almost powdery, and others were what I would call standard size. I'm going to stick with using the shredder disk for the food processor.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 12:51:49 PM »
I've used one several times. It worked well, but the [cheese] shreds were smaller than I would like for pizza.
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan