Author Topic: Mighty Pizza Stone  (Read 2046 times)

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Vendor
    • MightyPizzaOven.com
Mighty Pizza Stone
« on: July 27, 2015, 08:10:49 AM »
The Mighty Pizza Stone is a cordierite pizza stone with adjustable heat diffuser. I have used it with MPO to achieve balance top / bottom temperature for Neapolitan style pizza. This weekend I tried it without MPO to bake pizza on my portable 2 burners gas grill and bread on my 18 charcoal grill.  I baked 3 pizzas with an average temperature of 500 F, bake time between 5 and 8 minutes.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 08:21:15 AM by MightyPizzaOven »

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Vendor
    • MightyPizzaOven.com
Re: Mighty Pizza Stone
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 08:12:52 AM »
I baked two loaf of bread on my charcoal grill with an average temperature of 450 F using one load of Weber charcoal chimney.  Baked for about 25 minutes und a stainless steel bowl and for another 15 minutes without the bowl.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Vendor
    • MightyPizzaOven.com
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 08:24:29 AM »
I intended to include this feature with MPO2 but I was unable due to high cost of setup fee and minimum order required for the heat diffuser. I am planning to launch Mighty Pizza Stone (MPS) on Kickstarter to raise needed fund, around $40 to $50.

I think many outdoors pizza beginners will benefit from the Mighty Pizza Stone , also  MPO owners, Pizza Kettle owners,

Before I launch MPS on Kickstarter, I like to try it on few more gas grills that are more powerful than my portable grill. I think a much higher balanced temperature can be achieved. 

Also, I would like to try it in a WFO, or on a Chimenea like this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FF8PQ6/?tag=pmak-20

In theory, I should be able to adjust MPS depending on the heat source type and it's intensity so pizza bottom cooks at the same rate as the top.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Vendor
    • MightyPizzaOven.com
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 10:12:07 AM »
I bought this portable fire place (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009E3G80/?tag=pmak-20 ) to experiment with MPS, my goal to reach and maintain 900 f air temperature above a stone placed 4" below under the fireplace cover ceiling, not sure how much wood I need, I have zero experience with firewood.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Vendor
    • MightyPizzaOven.com
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 09:05:38 PM »
Mighty Pizza Stone on my new natural gas grill, 100% Bread flour, 4 minutes bake time,  back burner was used on the first pie...

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Vendor
    • MightyPizzaOven.com
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 04:40:57 AM »
90 seconds pies on my new gas grill (shown in my previous post) using MPS with MPO2. MPS has shorten MPO2 heating time to reach Neapolitan temperature and made it easier to have more control over the bottom stone temperature.

100% caputo, 60% water, 2% salt , starter , 26 hours fermentation.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Vendor
    • MightyPizzaOven.com
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 07:18:31 PM »
100% KABF, 70% Water, .06%ADY, 2.5% Salt, 2%EVOO, 30 minute total bake time with MPS on my gas grill

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Vendor
    • MightyPizzaOven.com
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 11:38:26 AM »
I did a heat test this morning, using MPS on my portable fire place which I modifed a bit ...  stone temperature was pretty constistent for a long period of time enough to bake multiple pizzas, it varies from mid 600s to low 700s, I will have to rotate pizza while baking. Next time I will do a bake test using KAAP.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Vendor
    • MightyPizzaOven.com
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 02:01:09 PM »
Tested the Mighty Pizza Stone (MPS) on my modified portable woodfire place, 100% KAAP flour.

MPS adjustable heat diffuser allow you to control MPS stone temperature which makes it so much easier and faster to balance top and bottom tempertaure for the idela baking condition, regardless where MPS is used...gas / charcoal /woodfire grill, pizza oven inserts like the kettle grill or even DIY ovens like the LBE.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Vendor
    • MightyPizzaOven.com
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 02:30:11 PM »

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 02:35:58 PM »
short video on instagram

Is it just me or does that video make it look like the pizza is burnt to a crisp?

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Vendor
    • MightyPizzaOven.com
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 03:12:10 PM »
Is it just me or does that video make it look like the pizza is burnt to a crisp?

just one side, I needed to rotate it a bit earlier, this the 2nd pizza shown in my previous post..

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Vendor
    • MightyPizzaOven.com
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 09:18:35 AM »
Couple pies from yesterday bake with MPS on my 5 burners grill. 4.5 minutes avg bake, same day dough, KABF, 65%water, ADY, 3%EVOO, 3% Salt, 1% sugar. 

Second pie toppings: Fresh mozzarella, feta cheese, tomato sauce, lemon slices, baby arugula and a drizzle of EVOO ... it tasted amazing..my favorite toppings so far

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Vendor
    • MightyPizzaOven.com
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 04:42:53 AM »
few more pics

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Vendor
    • MightyPizzaOven.com
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2016, 03:35:20 PM »
Tartine bread using the Mighty Pizza Stone 1st prototype on my gas grill.

Used Chau's percentages posted at
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=42091.msg422066#msg422066

KABF 100%
Water 72%
Starter 20%
ADY 0.3% (instead of .2IDY)
Salt 2%

Hand mixed dough, alowed the dough to rise for about 5 hours, did multiple S/F during the first hour and one last S/F one hour before bake. Baked under a SS bowl for the first 20 minutes then uncovered for the next 20 minutes. A bit dark, but not burned.

I need more practice...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 10:05:25 PM by MightyPizzaOven »

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Vendor
    • MightyPizzaOven.com
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2016, 12:00:46 PM »
Freshbread for breakfast right out my outdoor BBQ gas grill using the MightyPizzaStone first prototype.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Vendor
    • MightyPizzaOven.com
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 08:34:31 AM »
I have been experimenting with using Mighty Pizza Stone on my 18" Kingsford kettle grill using one load of charcoal briquettes and on log of Prologue Grill & Fire Logs http://www.amazon.com/Prologue-Grill-Fire-Logs-Pack/dp/B013RDBHF8/?tag=pmak-20

The issue I am having is that the Prologue Grill & Fire Logs is generating way too much soot.. But it does bring the temperature above the stone to over 900 f for about 30 minutes.

I am looking for alternative to Prologue Grill & Fire Logs that gives similar heat but with much less soot.

Does anyone have experience with the following options or any other option?

fat wood http://www.amazon.com/Wood-Products-9910-Fatwood-Pounds/dp/B000HHO4W6/?tag=pmak-20

and

Fireside Hardwoods Kindling http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OZWV3H8/?tag=pmak-20

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Vendor
    • MightyPizzaOven.com
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2016, 07:11:53 AM »
Still trying to balance my 18" kettle grill / MPS heat without doing any mod to the grill...

I made a loaf of bread yesterday with MPS on my gas grill. It was gone in less than 60 s  :), kids love it.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Vendor
    • MightyPizzaOven.com
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2016, 08:21:35 AM »
I have been able to generate plenty of balanced heat my 18" kettle grill / MPS with just 1 load of weber charcoal chimney, but not enough to brown pizza rims without modifying the grill.

short video of the pizza below https://www.instagram.com/p/BEhfbZqHpVM/
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 08:24:09 AM by MightyPizzaOven »

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Vendor
    • MightyPizzaOven.com
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2016, 06:48:59 PM »
I bought fogo lump charcoal to try instead of briquettes

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Vendor
    • MightyPizzaOven.com
« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 04:21:17 PM »
Less than 4 minutes pizza using MPS on my natural gas grill with all 5 burners on

wordpress