Author Topic: Pizza pros, GET IN! Need expert opinion  (Read 731 times)

Offline 9slicePie

Pizza pros, GET IN! Need expert opinion
« on: August 07, 2016, 10:15:14 PM »
I recently got a 16 x 16 x 1 inch sicilian pizza pan.  the corner got scratched and some of the 'black coating' was lifted, see pics below.

Is there a health risk if I continue using this pan, aka do I have to worry about tiny bits of that 'black coating' subtly chipping off and attaching to the bottom of the crust?

Offline Jackitup

• Supporting Member
Re: Pizza pros, GET IN! Need expert opinion
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 10:29:29 PM »
Yes and no. Yes, can be hazardous but, unless you eat out of it several times a day and ingested the amount that's on that total pan, monthly, for a few years..........might take awhile to cause issues. Get a new one if you want, when you can, no rush.

jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 05:09:18 PM »
Thanks for your reply.

I was expecting more responses, especially from other very experienced members.

Can the moderator who move this to this sub-forum please move it back to General Pizzamaking?  I purposely posted this in that subform originally because that's WAY more active than this subforum.

These message boards overall are pretty slow anyway, so I feel there won't be any "clutter" issue with this thread being in General Pizza Making.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 05:19:36 PM by 9slicePie »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 05:52:16 PM »
I am the one who moved your post because it does not belong in the board where you originally posted. It is the forum's indexing system that dictates were posts go, and one of my moderator duties is to adhere to that indexing system.

However, as a courtesy to you, I will temporarily move your thread to where you originally posted to see if it gets more traffic and, hopefully, some replies. After a reasonable period, I will move the thread back to where it belongs.

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 05:53:34 PM »
The only person on the forum whose answer I'd trust on this is Tom Lehmann. I'd move it to his board.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 05:57:40 PM »
The only person on the forum whose answer I'd trust on this is Tom Lehmann. I'd move it to his board.
I already moved the thread but I can move it again if 9slicePie wishes. I can do that soon or wait a while to see if members on this board post replies.

Peter

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • Photos
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 06:03:12 PM »
I'd throw it away without a second thought!
Hans

Offline carl333

• Supporting Member
  • Always trying to improve my dough.
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 10:08:40 PM »
IMHO opinion, I would  continue to use this pan. After a few uses and the coating peels back from where the scratches are located, I'd then ditch it perhaps. Not sure what that coating really is but pans as such are subsitable to scratches with every day use. Have you contacted the mfger?
Carl

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 12:19:03 AM »
I am the one who moved your post because it does not belong in the board where you originally posted. It is the forum's indexing system that dictates were posts go, and one of my moderator duties is to adhere to that indexing system.

However, as a courtesy to you, I will temporarily move your thread to where you originally posted to see if it gets more traffic and, hopefully, some replies. After a reasonable period, I will move the thread back to where it belongs.

Peter
Thanks, Pete.  I don't want to go against the forum rules, but I do appreciate the temporary courtesy move.  During my lurking, I put much weight in your posts.

I hope he replies.

I'd throw it away without a second thought!
I know, I'm kind of leaning towards that too.  But I wanted to get expert opinion from here first.  I was thinking that surely pizzeria pans probably get scratched like this, but do they throw them away?

IMHO opinion, I would  continue to use this pan. After a few uses and the coating peels back from where the scratches are located, I'd then ditch it perhaps. Not sure what that coating really is but pans as such are subsitable to scratches with every day use. Have you contacted the mfger?
I have not contacted the manufacturer.  I figured maybe there have been others on this forum who experienced this in the past and wanted to get their thoughts.

Thanks to everyone who responded, and special thanks to Pete for allowing this thread to get more traffic.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 08:02:47 AM »
9slicePie,

What is the brand of the Sicilian pan you got that had those scratches?  I have some pans that say not to bake above a certain temperature.

Norma

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 10:57:02 AM »
9slicePie,

What is the brand of the Sicilian pan you got that had those scratches?  I have some pans that say not to bake above a certain temperature.

Norma
Norma, this is the pan:

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza

Offline carl333

• Supporting Member
  • Always trying to improve my dough.
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 01:30:36 PM »
Response from Winco Customer Service. I also sent them your pic of the pan

The coatings are food safe, so there is no worry about chemicals.

Regards from Winco Customer Service!

I purchased a SPP-1616 Silician pizza pie pan and accidently, I made a number of deep scratches that removed the black coating.

Can I continue to use this pan for cooking? Will it flake  where it has been scratched? Would you suggest that I throw it out? 

thanks
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 01:53:57 PM by carl333 »
Carl

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2016, 01:07:57 PM »
Thanks to everyone who replied. I haven't checked back in a few days.

This forum is a good resource.

QUESTIONS:

1-  Has anyone had any experience with aluminum sicilian pizza pans?  Please share.

2-  How exactly do you guys recommend seasoning an aluminum pan?

Offline theGreenSurfer

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 02:00:32 PM »
If you saw some of the factories of some of these made in China products you would probably ditch it. I'm happy with my anodized aluminum Lloyd pans....they are resistant to metal utensils and made in USA. They cost more, but you get what you pay for and they will outlive several replacements of cheap ones. Minus the possible health risks too.

wordpress