Author Topic: Steel gas stove-top oven idea...  (Read 237 times)

Offline Locolombia

• I Love Pizza!
Steel gas stove-top oven idea...
« on: October 20, 2014, 01:23:41 PM »
Even with my 3/8" steel, my electric oven doesn't deliver the results I'd like (ideally a Neo-Neapolitian fast bake). So I'm thinking about this: what if I create a gas stove-top low-profile steel box leaving an open slot at the rear of the box for the rear burner flame to come though. That way there would be side heat (from the flame coming up from the back burner) and bottom heat from the flame underneath the steel, and top heat from the steel as well. Of course it would be as heavy as a truck, but perhaps it might work? Before I go off the junkyard and visit a welder, I thought maybe someone could tell me why this idea is bound to fail...

Offline shuboyje

Re: Steel gas stove-top oven idea...
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 07:08:30 PM »
If you aren't after 60 second Neapolitan it should work pretty well.  I built a stove top oven like this a few years ago with the goal of doing 60 second Neapolitan which also required electric heat elements in the top.  It produced the heat, but was very hard to control.  It worked well in the 2-3 minute range without the electric elements though.  I wouldn't go to heavy on the steel though.  I personally used light gauge stainless and insulated it.
-Jeff

Offline Locolombia

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 07:46:34 PM »
Thanks shuboyje. I'm glad to hear you were able to get down to 2-3 minutes as that would be a huge improvement for me. I'm wondering why you thought not to go too heavy on the steel. Wouldn't steel (possibly insulated as well) rather than aluminum, get it hotter and possibly give you more heat control as well? Just curious about your thinking on that...

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 08:20:55 PM »
Your stove burner doesn't have a huge amount of heat to push up top to heat the mass of the steel.  With an insulated light gauge stainless box you can get it hot really fast even with the oven's limited power.  My oven get's hot in 10-15 minutes.  With more mass and no insulation it would take much longer.
-Jeff

Offline Locolombia

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 09:16:35 PM »
Understood. Thanks Jeff!

Offline Locolombia

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 10:27:24 PM »
Latest design idea with angled sheet metal side walls, an insulated (and inverted) baking sheet "roof," and a 3/8 inch steel baking surface. Holes all around sheet metal are for hot air flow. It's meant to sit on top of gas burners. Hope to get it put together this week. Your thoughts/ideas are welcome. Don't know if I'll need a door or not.

Update: Had the oven base made today ($15.00US in Colombia) and will most likely add propane tubes along the two sides and the rear. Then a very low insulted ceiling. 12" inch pies are my limit here but I think it will work...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 06:59:15 PM by Locolombia »

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 08:18:08 PM »
I might have misread your first post.  Is the oven going to cover both burners? 

What you want is the front burner under the steel to heat it, and then for the top to extend back far enough to channel the heat from the back burner over the top.  If the burner is sealed you want to remove the cover to allow a large open flame.  If you do a door you still want some sort of vent at the front to ensure all the heat from the rear burner travels forward over top of the pizza.

-Jeff

Offline Locolombia

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 08:47:24 PM »
I've actually changed my idea somewhat Jeff. I'm now building a free-standing oven and will incorporate propane gas pipes along the 2 sides and the rear. So you didn't misread. My kitchen testing tells me this will work but I'll certainly report what happens when I'm finished. Thanks again!

Offline Locolombia

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 07:01:26 PM »
New oven build is coming along. Insulation and propane jets next. Beginning to feel (and look like) an armored tank...