Author Topic: Quarry Tiles  (Read 95 times)

Offline peetzabone

Quarry Tiles
« on: September 16, 2014, 02:37:27 PM »
 ???

So I need a new stone as one I had for probably 10 years finally cracked and ultimately broke.

Looking for the tile solution rather than the pizza stone solution:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_89487-372-0N46881P_0__?productId=50004010&Ntt=quarry+tile&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dquarry%2Btile&facetInfo=

Are those going to work. They are only 12mm thick which is slightly less than 1/2". I wish I could find bigger than 8x8 but I haven't seen.

or these:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Daltile-Quarry-Diablo-Red-8-in-x-8-in-Ceramic-Floor-and-Wall-Tile-11-11-sq-ft-case-0T01881P/202653747#product_description

as they aren't advertised for food safety I worry about lead content, etc..  any idea how to "feel good" about either of them?

I think I want dark as possible in terms of color for heat absorption?

I know tiles are talked about frequently but I hadn't seen a recent post specific to the big box stores.

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Quarry Tiles
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 02:40:53 PM »
Why quarry tiles? They are an inferior solution compared to a quality stone/steel.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chris_T

• Vendor
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 03:12:38 PM »
In an oven situation, dark color is not as important. When you heat something in the sun, there's a lot of visible-spectrum light, which is why you'd want dark colors.

Probably, most of the available toxic metal content of tiles would be in the glazes, if any.  If they are ceramic, there can be traces of many different elements in the ceramic itself, but they're generally not accessible.

If your pizza stone lasted ten years, that's pretty good.  Is that brand & model still available?  I'd go for that. 

Offline sashar

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 12:23:41 AM »
FWIW, tiles that say "Unglazed" should be paint free and hence not contain lead.

I had actually used unglazed quarry tiles(though i dont remember the brand) until we moved earlier this year and had to discard them. I had bought them since they were a cheap alternative, especially because I was able to buy them by the sq.ft from a local tile distributor/supplier. They lasted for well over a year, performed relatively well in terms of retaining heat, though I was graduating from making pizza on a baking sheet, so I did not have much of a baseline to compare against.  :)