Author Topic: The Steel Plate Buying Guide  (Read 4498 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Re: The Steel Plate Buying Guide
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2014, 10:22:40 PM »
Great post Scott. Certainly one of the most important on this forum for people wanting to make the best possible NY-style at home.

It doesn't go unnoticed that the folks who seem to have all the time in the world when it comes to making juvenile, jealous, and petty comments about your work don't seem to have any time when it comes contributing even a tiny fraction of what you do in helping people directly and through posts like this. The really sad thing is they probably believe their pathetic swipes at you are more valuable. An epic post like this must have really have them pulling their hair out. I bet one of the usual suspects has already found something to complain about.  :-D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Daft Pizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2014, 10:29:04 PM »
Very informative. Thank you.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2014, 05:42:51 AM »
great post scott

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2014, 07:54:54 AM »
Nice write up Scott... What is the recovery time for 1/2" steel in a 550 deg oven or most common ovens
Bert,

Offline Hobbs

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2014, 05:06:54 PM »
Hey Scott,

thanks for this!

this is just what I needed as I am going to venture into the "steel bake" world for the first time looking to get the 4-5 min NY elite bakes in my consumer grade elec oven (550)

I will post my results regarding my purchase and will post a running journal of my steel bake journeys!

scott123

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2014, 05:21:57 PM »
Hobbs, sounds great!

Bert, the data on recovery is a little light.  Jeff (Shuboyje) talks about doing 12 pies back to back in one sitting with 1/2" plate

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17147.msg169027#msg169027

I've noticed with my own 1/2" plate that, with 3 pies back to back, by the time the 3rd pie is baked, the undercrust is a shade lighter.  I am used to working with 1.25" soapstone, though, which seems to be able to do at least 4 pies without a rest- or without turning the bake element on either, so I haven't had the bake element on with the steel after the pre-heat.  From now on, based on the increasingly light shade, when I'm not broiling, I'm definitely going to be baking.

On the plus side, steel's conductivity will allow it to re-heat a lot faster than cordierite, so when it does get depleted, it should bounce back pretty quickly.  By best guess would be 7-10 minutes between bakes should be enough to replenish it perpetually. If your oven has convection, I would think you could cut that in half.

I've tried to replenish the plate with the broiler on (and about 3" away), but that didn't seem to replenish the heat very well.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 05:27:00 PM by scott123 »

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2014, 12:09:11 PM »
 Great info Scott!! My oven racks are a little flimsy. I almost always bake one pie at a time, but on a rare occasion I do a NY style then Chi style afterwards. Do you think I could get by with a 3/8 inch thick plate. I might cook two pies back to back maybe twice a year, the rest of the time it would be just one pie. My oven goes to 550 degrees.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2014, 03:57:01 PM »
solid info Scott.  thanks for taking the time and effort to put that together.
bill 

scott123

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2014, 12:07:14 PM »
Thank you, everyone, for your kind words.

Nick, thickness relates both to recovery and bake time.  Even though it sounds like your recovery needs are minimal, I can't guarantee all the possible range of NY bake times with 3/8" steel at 550.

I'm pretty confident it will comfortably break the 4 minute bake time barrier at 550, and, 4, as I've said before, is where the magic happens for NY style, but you might like the extra contrast/additional char of 3 minutes, and I'm not sure 3/8" can comfortably do that.

If you know, for certain, that your oven can reach at least 550 (as measured by an IR thermometer) I think you should just get in under the wire with 3/8", but, if it were me, I'd feel more comfortable with a little more buffer. If you're worried about the flimsiness of the shelf, as I said before, suspend the plate on square steel (or aluminum) tubing. Home Depot carries the tubing and a hack saw will make pretty easy work of it, especially the aluminum. 4 pieces will support the two plates.  Just cut the pieces so they go from side wall to side wall. 

Besides, once you start making some of the best pizza you've ever eaten, won't you want to make more than 1 pie at a time? Won't you want to share this marvel with friends?   :)

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2014, 06:16:19 PM »
Thanks for the info Scott! I'm convinced. I'd hate to buy a thinner plate and then not be happy with the results. Besides, I would not want to have to buy some more steel and be stuck with the thinner plates. Of course I could set the thinner plates on a rack above the thicker plate, and maybe get more heat on the top of the pie.

Offline lateralex

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2014, 01:46:07 PM »
This is great info, and has likely spared me from buying a baking steel that I don't really need. Can you expand on how to test if you have a strong broiler or not? Mine is a gas broiler but I really have no idea how to measure the heat output.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2014, 06:18:55 PM »
This is great info, and has likely spared me from buying a baking steel that I don't really need. Can you expand on how to test if you have a strong broiler or not? Mine is a gas broiler but I really have no idea how to measure the heat output.

These threads might help:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=10024.0
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=11654.0
Pizza is not bread.