Author Topic: Varasano interview on SLICE, check it out.  (Read 972 times)

Offline dmcavanagh

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 02:46:11 PM by Steve »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
Re: Varasano interview on SLICE, check it out.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 06:48:06 PM »
http://slice.seriouseats.com/
Thanks for the post.  IMO, Jeff V is an easy guy to like: friend of the forum, recipes galore on his web site, passionate about pizza, etc.  After attending his 1 hour training at the 2014 Intl Pizza Expo, I found him to be engaging, knowledgeable, and humble - that is a hard act to fake.  Jeff even brought a guy that worked his entire life in the cured meats business to the class, just to make sure he didn't misspeak and so he could answer every question accurately.  Jeff's pies had some of the best flavors that I have ever chomped on.
Dave

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 07:01:18 PM »
I, too, found Jeff's interview interesting because it reminded me of a long conversation I had with Peter Taylor a few years ago in which Pete said many of the same things that Jeff mentioned. I even wrote about my conversation with Pete at Reply 52 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=8895.msg141073;topicseen#msg141073. Since this is a forum about pizza making, it is natural for the pizzas themselves to be at center stage and in the spotlight. But it looks that there are a lot of other things that have to be considered once one wants to take his or her pizza masterpiece to a commercial setting.

Peter

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 07:08:12 PM »
that's the same thing that struck me Pete, it's not enough to make a good pizza, people are looking for a whole experience beyond just the meal.

Offline Daft Pizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 09:02:46 PM »
He said he uses a Pizza Master oven. I believe those are electric? Why would a commercial operator choose an electric deck oven? I don't know much about the industry, so I'm curious.

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 09:14:49 PM »
Thanks for that link.  I like the way Jeff reasons...very practical.
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Offline Peasant

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 09:22:23 PM »
I can't wait to see the pmfs go after this gem from the interview:
"LR: You mean you have to find the exact middle point in the fermentation process?

JV: No, I'm saying there's a trick to get both. I'm not gonna say what it is, but it's out there. We don't sacrifice. We get a full-flavored crust with a good texture."

scott123

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 10:13:26 PM »
Why would a commercial operator choose an electric deck oven? I don't know much about the industry, so I'm curious.

An electric oven, specifically the electric oven Jeff uses, allows for faster bakes than gas. He wanted wood fired oven bake times (2-3 minutes) without the hassle of getting permits for a wood fired oven. 

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 10:14:58 PM »
Has anyone ate at both locations (airport & Atlanta)? I flew out of Atlanta a couple months ago and had his pizza, not bad... I wouldn't have thought he used sourdough though.
Josh

scott123

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 10:15:40 PM »
I can't wait to see the pmfs go after this gem from the interview:
"LR: You mean you have to find the exact middle point in the fermentation process?

JV: No, I'm saying there's a trick to get both. I'm not gonna say what it is, but it's out there. We don't sacrifice. We get a full-flavored crust with a good texture."

I don't think there's any big secret here.  The longer you let sourdoughs ferment, the more acid you create, the greater the flavor, but, too much acid will adversely effect the texture. I'm sure Craig, and others, have talked about this.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 10:19:48 PM »
Electric for consistent High even heat  I spoke with him about his choice Many try to copy but Jeffs a scientist and a great guy too!  He  made his choice probably based on some kind of facts and or thermal #'s and the way they cook. I love these type of ovens if I were going Neo style or anything but Neapolitan wood fired  thats my choice too!
John
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 10:24:06 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 06:47:00 AM »
I am headed to Atlanta in November for a wedding, & look forward to eating at both his places..

Clay

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 03:21:23 PM »
Electric for consistent High even heat  I spoke with him about his choice Many try to copy but Jeffs a scientist and a great guy too!  He  made his choice probably based on some kind of facts and or thermal #'s and the way they cook. I love these type of ovens if I were going Neo style or anything but Neapolitan wood fired  thats my choice too!
John
^^^ 
I also spoke with Jeff about the Pizza Master oven a few weeks ago at the Pizza Expo.  After that, I went over to the Pizza Master booth and eventually found the design engineer on that oven.  We had an engaging discussion, including a few times where he politely told me that I was wrong.  I like that chap a lot and also appreciate his oven design.

I even wrote about my conversation with Pete at Reply 52 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=8895.msg141073;topicseen#msg141073. Since this is a forum about pizza making, it is natural for the pizzas themselves to be at center stage and in the spotlight. But it looks that there are a lot of other things that have to be considered once one wants to take his or her pizza masterpiece to a commercial setting.
Peter

Peter - thanks for sharing this link, I had not seen it before.  Peter Taylor is a local favorite.

Dave
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 03:23:28 PM by Tampa »

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 04:03:58 PM »

The PizzaMaster Xtreme series is made for Neo style (932 degrees F.)
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 11:53:09 AM »
Stopped by the pizzamaster booth at the expo....let me tell you, i was IMPRESSED.  For me, definately the oven of choice if there is gonna more ovens to choose from.  I talked to at least one distributor who told me unashamedly that he prefers the pizzamaster electric oven to the electric oven HE distributes.

And the owner of the pizzamaster booth assured me that the UNRETURNED calls and emails are a thing of the past.  He said the designer is an engineer and NOT a business man....and I can relate to that.

To anyone looking to open a pizza place, especially where higher temps are required, you simply MUST, at the very least, look into these ovens....they are a thing of beauty.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2014, 09:58:21 PM »
I was similarly impressed with that oven and its designer.
Dave

pizzapan