Author Topic: Nicantonis- Chandler, AZ  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Gino that Bastad

Nicantonis- Chandler, AZ
« on: September 05, 2010, 02:20:22 AM »
I'm a pizza buff, I try at least 2 new restaurants per week on average and stumbled upon this little dive a few months back. I like this place so much ive decided to get into the Pizza biz (hence me finding this forum).

I plan to open up a little shop of my own about 10 miles from these guys so I don't see them as competition and hopefully they won't see me as it either.

This place is FANTASTIC. I'e probably gone about 10x in the past 3 months because their pizza is one of those special pizzas that you just want PLAIN CHEESE. It's just delicious through and through.

If you're in the Chandler, AZ area. Swing by.

That being said I found their Calzones and pretty much everything else to be a waste of time. go for the Pizza!

Offline Gino that Bastad

Re: Nicantonis- Chandler, AZ
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 02:32:24 AM »
BTW: something interesting the waitress said to me when I asked a question about his sauce.

"he uses only San Marzano tomatoes and he does'nt use water in his dough, only Oil"

Now I am kinda just getting started on things here but is she yanking my leg or what???

I know San Marzano tomatoes cost a TON and how in the hell can you make a dough without water??

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 04:22:08 AM »
Tomatoes with the designation "San Marzano" do not have to cost a ton. "San Marzano, D.O.P" can cost more, but there are bargains to be found. And there are plenty of terrible tomatoes from San Marzano and great ones from other sources.

Never heard of dough with only oil and no water. Anything is possible, but either the server was pulling your leg or her boss is having fun at her expense.

Offline Gino that Bastad

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 10:46:37 AM »
Tomatoes with the designation "San Marzano" do not have to cost a ton. "San Marzano, D.O.P" can cost more, but there are bargains to be found. And there are plenty of terrible tomatoes from San Marzano and great ones from other sources.

Never heard of dough with only oil and no water. Anything is possible, but either the server was pulling your leg or her boss is having fun at her expense.

Thanks Bill. I kinda got the vibe she was yanking my chain per his orders if anyone asked.

Whats the best supermarket tomatoe or are most guys going with canned brands? Are Romas from the grocery a good option? Ive always used those for my sauces for pastas.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 11:05:37 AM »
Whats the best supermarket tomatoe or are most guys going with canned brands? Are Romas from the grocery a good option? Ive always used those for my sauces for pastas.

The video linked to in this thread covers what I think is the best all-around canned tomato:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10881.msg97222.html#msg97222

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 12:48:28 PM »

I agree with Bill/SFNM on this one. Protein might be affected by oil in some fashion, but the gluten (glutenin and gliaden) form when water is added to flour and mixed/kneaded. Also, I once conducted an experiment in which I combined flour, oil and yeast--but no water--to see if the yeast could be rehydrated in oil only and to see if the dough would rise. As I reported at Reply 3 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6009.msg51568/topicseen.html#msg51568, the dough did not rise that I could tell by the naked eye. Given enough time, the yeast might have rehydrated due to the moisture content in the flour, but I suspect the rehydration would have been minimal and/or would have taken a long time to rehydrate.

Peter

Offline Gino that Bastad

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 05:56:49 PM »
I tried it and it did not go well.

Luckily ive nailed the exact type of crust im looking for and im happy so I wont worry about it too much!