Author Topic: Pupatella Neapolitan Pizzeria & Friggitoria, Arlington, VA  (Read 2995 times)

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Pupatella Neapolitan Pizzeria & Friggitoria, Arlington, VA
« on: July 06, 2010, 08:41:36 PM »
Just ate at Pupatella in Arlington, VA. This small, casual restaurant is run by a couple who started their business out with a popular Neapolitan pizza cart next to the Ballston Metro. I never got a chance to try the cart pizza, but their new restaurant is a winner.

The space is small and semi-self serve, you order at the counter and pick up your food and bus your own table, but the pizza quality is top notch.  I tried a “real” Margherita with fresh buffalo mozzarella and a simple San Marzano sauce.  The pie was delicious, very authentic and reminded me of the pizza I had at Da Michele in Naples.  The crust had a nice char, but was still soft, light and flavorful.  Enzo, the co-owner and pizzaiolo, cranked out the pizza in about 90 seconds from their beautiful Forno Napolento wood-fired oven.

The special of the week was a white pizza with red onions and pistachios – inspired by and nearly equal to Chris Bianco’s Rosa. Personally, the Rosa is is one of my all time favorites, with the melding of strong flavors (onions, nuts and Parmesan) into a unique pie and Pupatella’s version hit all the high notes.

Also on the menu are sandwiches (on house-made bread), salads, fried calzone, arancinos and gelato. We tried an arancino with fontina, peas and beef.  This baseball sized globe of fried risotto was crispy on the outside and gooey and flavorful on the inside.  They live up to their billing as a friggitoria (fry shop) at Pupatella.   The gelato is made outside of the restaurant, but is quite tasty.

Bottled beer and wine from Italy are served. We had a bottle of Bastardo that was pretty good. They were running a special where all bottles were $10 when 2 pizzas are ordered which makes the wine a steal.  The co-owner Anastasiya even offered to save the cork and bag up the wine in case we didn't finish it. This was a nice, but in our case wholly, unnecessary gesture.

All in all, I would put Pupatella on the list as one of the best pizza places in the DC-area. They are certainly equal to if not better than 2Amy’s and Pizzeria Paradiso in terms of quality (I’ve not tried Pizzeria Orso down the road yet).  And, for value they can’t be beat.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Pupatella Neapolitan Pizzeria & Friggitoria, Arlington, VA
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 09:22:21 PM »
Wally,

In case you and others have not seen it, there is more on Pupatella at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11240.msg101714.html#msg101714.

Peter

Offline shango

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 10:27:10 AM »
He's baking pizze with his sunglasses on..LOL

8)
pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 11:07:37 AM »
Well, it was still early (about 5 PM) and pretty sunny yesterday!

Offline PUPATELLA

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 12:26:27 PM »
He's baking pizze with his sunglasses on..LOL

8)

Gotta have the look  8)

He wears them day and night.  Way cool, lol

Offline scott123

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 12:39:40 PM »
The special of the week was a white pizza with red onions and pistachios – inspired by and nearly equal to Chris Bianco’s Rosa. Personally, the Rosa is is one of my all time favorites, with the melding of strong flavors (onions, nuts and Parmesan) into a unique pie and Pupatella’s version hit all the high notes.

If it is a Bianco inspiration, someone should probably tell him that Chris adds the pistachios mid bake so they don't burn.

Offline PUPATELLA

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 01:50:39 PM »
If it is a Bianco inspiration, someone should probably tell him that Chris adds the pistachios mid bake so they don't burn.
They taste good slightly burnt like that. Only few of them burn. It's an inspiration, not a copy.

Offline PUPATELLA

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 02:18:28 PM »
Those pies have too much browning though, I think.  Wallman came around 4:30, not the hottest burning time for our oven.  We don't keep it at highest temperature between lunch dinner as there is no customers at the restaurant at that time.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 07:27:11 PM »
PUPATELLA,  in no way is this an insult,  but I am sure some of your customers might have figured out that the oven is not so hot during the break,  so they never will come in during off peak hours.  Just a thought.  Nice job getting the place open though,  I have a friend I'll be sending your way when she can make it...  -marc

Offline PUPATELLA

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 11:59:06 PM »
PUPATELLA,  in no way is this an insult,  but I am sure some of your customers might have figured out that the oven is not so hot during the break,  so they never will come in during off peak hours.  Just a thought.  Nice job getting the place open though,  I have a friend I'll be sending your way when she can make it...  -marc

It's just a natural restaurant cycle. People eat lunch and then they eat dinner.  You get ready for lunch and then you get ready for dinner. No wood-fired pizzeria will keep their oven at the same temperature for 12 hours straight.  That would be a big waste of wood, and one huge A/C bill - don't forget that the oven also makes a fireplace.

Offline shango

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 08:25:55 AM »
I keep my oven hot all day.  It's not fair to serve an inferior product during slow times. If that is your plan, you should close between lunch and dinner, or learn how to maintain that oven temp without burning tons of wood..
pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline widespreadpizza

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 08:33:46 AM »
Shango,  I agree entirely...  -marc

Offline PUPATELLA

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 09:27:18 AM »
I keep my oven hot all day.  It's not fair to serve an inferior product during slow times. If that is your plan, you should close between lunch and dinner, or learn how to maintain that oven temp without burning tons of wood..
Well, inferior might be an overstatement. The oven goes down to 800 from the 1000 at lunch.  Still good temperature.
Remember, Wallman said the pizzas were great.

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 10:23:31 AM »
I do like to visit at off hours since there is less crowding and you can talk to the people who work at a restaurant to learn more about their food, methods, etc. I have been to restaurants that have turned out less than desirable pizzas due to low oven temp, but I wouldn't put these in that category.

I didn't perceive too much browning on the Margherita, maybe a bit on the Rosa, but it didn't detract from my enjoyment.  The one difference I recall between that pie and the Bianco version, was his onions seemed "smokier" and are a bit darker/charred.

I think the oven temp was around 800 or so (I couldn't clearly see the oven thermometer). I did notice the wall thermometer for the a/c said it was 90 by the prep area, it was hot on Tuesday!

I'm am thrilled to see two pizza places in NoVa that are striving for authentic Neopolitan pizza. My only wish is I lived closer to Arlington.  You (and Orso, who is next on my list to visit) should open a branch in Manassas! 

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 07:06:13 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXBM-gD_uHk" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXBM-gD_uHk</a>
. Glasses always make me laugh. To cool for school 8).

Offline widespreadpizza

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 07:21:17 PM »
WOW would I flip out if I had to work in that area,  much much too narrow.  The workflow seems horrible.  As much as I would love that to be my job,  I wouldn't do it there.  The workflow seems horrible. --marc

pizzapan