Author Topic: Shotgun Sam's Pizza Palace is re-opening in Tulsa  (Read 1876 times)

Online nick57

• Supporting Member
Shotgun Sam's Pizza Palace is re-opening in Tulsa
« on: April 09, 2014, 03:17:21 PM »
The original owner was a family friend. Hope the new guy does not screw up the pizza. I'll go when they open in a few weeks with a report. This is the article:

http://www.krmg.com/news/news/local/shotgun-sams-pizza-palace-re-opning-tulsa/nfWgy/
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 03:21:24 PM by nick57 »

Online nick57

• Supporting Member
Re: Shotgun Sam's Pizza Palace is re-opening in Tulsa
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 09:47:23 AM »
They opened up last Tuesday. I have not made it down there yet, but I am going. A friend of my stopped by and took these pics. They wanted to get the thin crust, but were informed that they are not making them yet, they said they were having sticking problems with the thin crust. I not a pizza expert, but I cant figure out why they would have problems with thin crust pies sticking and the regular crusts not. Am I missing something here? They use the playing cards to know what your order was.

Online nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 10:24:13 AM »
I just went to their Facebook page. The reviews sound like something you would see on Kitchen Nightmares or Bar Rescue. A majority of the reviews were pretty bad. Even with the place empty, average wait for a pizza was about an hour. The wait staff did not know what the ingredients were on their pizza's. The menu was vague in the discreptions of the pies. Owner is rude. Pies were burnt, and or wrong toppings. Did not have paper receipts for credit card transactions. They lock the doors with customers inside when they run out of ingredients, which happens almost everyday by around dinner time. They do not post this on the front door, and people would look in and stand around trying to figure what was going on. Pies were pretty tasty but not very crisp. The interior looked like nothing was done. Floor looked worn out and the walls had peeling paint with nails and screws sticking out. They never answer the phone, no call in orders for sure. I could go on, but you guys get the gist.

I'm bummed about this. They took a great concept/pizza and may have blown it. I was going this week, but may wait a couple weeks to see if they get their act together  :'(

Online nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 11:22:23 AM »
They cook on screens. They used same day dough, and some of it just a couple of hours after balling. The owner said they were having problems with the new dough being too wet and sticking to the screens. They may get their act together, but I am not so sure. Anyway, here is the owner's response to the bad reviews and an apology. It did not fill me with confidence on their success. I can make a better pizza than most of the pizza places in town. I have worked in our family's restaraunt. But I could never open a pizza place without working in one first. I would spend a lot of time and effort getting my dough and cooking techniques down before tying to start a place. From what I can tell, he got the recipes and some advice on running the place, but did not practice enough before opening.

Ok this is to all our friends and Some Critics that have some good advice and others that don't have a clue about what they are talking about. I'll address our special sauce first. Any sauce for any restaurant has to have a tomato sauce base. No restaurant goes and buys a truck load of tomatoes and crushes them up to make their own tomato paste. It's cost prohibitive. All restaurants orders their paste from the supplier in a can. Then we add our special ingredients. Lots of ingredients go into our sauce. Yes we have to purchase the ingredients from our vendor to. We make our sauce fresh every morning. We make our dough fresh every morning. Most Pizza places in Tulsa, and I won't mention any names orders pre-made pizza dough which is made some where in a factory and packaged and comes already formed and ready to go. We don't do that. We make our own Dough fresh every day. We also get a truck in Every day but Sunday, that was one of the reasons we decided to close on Sunday because we cannot get a truck with fresh ingredients. So anyone that doesn't believe this just sit on the London Square parking lot any morning Monday through sat and you will see the Roma foods truck come to our restaurant for delivery. We get our stuff delivered fresh every day. Now for yesterday which was Saturday. We actually made 120Ilbs of dough yesterday which should have been way enough dough to make it through the day. We got slammed with several large Togo orders that were enough to take most of the dough we had on hand. Yes we saw we were going to be in trouble because we were having people come in by the 100's. So soon as we knew we didn't have enough dough we made more, now the problem with that, we have to make the dough from scratch, so it has to mix in the 60 gallon mixer for about 15 to 20 minutes. Then the dough has to sit for about 2 hours to rise. It you try to use the dough to quick which was exactly what we tried to do so we could serve everyone the dough is still tacky and will stick to the cooking screens. We have good people working for us but they or us could not fore see using that much dough in that qwick of time. Lynny I understand your frustration but people who walk in or call in are customers too.
We're not making excuse's we let you down as well as ourself's. We are truly sorry for. We now have consulted with one of the former cooks of the ORIGIONAL Shotgun Sam's and we have some tips of a better way to get our dough processed. We were advised by a cook from another Shotgun Sam's in Oklahoma City that used a differant method that will not work for us. Someone commented about our place being to small. This I take a issue with and covers my comment about the critics that don't have a clue. Our building has 5500 square feet. Most of the Shotgun Sam's didn't even have 4,000 square feet. What I think happened was we let some people down but we had no clue this was going to be such a popular place. We knew people loved shotgun Sams which we love, but we had no idea that we would get so many great people in there at one time. We are truly sorry for our fail. We have now been given some very good information from a pizza chef that has instructed us on some new service tectonics that will speed our cooking process up greatly. Again were very sorry for our service failure. However in another note the people that stood by us and ate said they loved the pizza and said it was exactly what they remembered. And for Ms Robertson. I recieved from one of the owners of the original Shotgun Sam's. And it's funny you act and I say act like you know me which you don't. So your entire post is untrue and made up. Now I'm going to comment again about my issues with the Tulsa County Health Department Inspection. 5 or 6 ladies from the Health Department came into my restaurant one day before our grand opening the inspect my restaurant. This giving us no time to correct any maybe serious issues. We had turned into the Tulsa County Health Department our floor plans 4 weeks before our opening date. It took them almost 4 weeks to approve them. Then they all show up one day before our opening. This I felt was terribly unfair and still do. Then they went out in the alley and wrote us up for a trash dumpster that didn't have a drain plug in it. The dumpster doesn't belong to us. It belongs to a trash service . This and other issues that were just wrong. They wrote us up for 52 issues like this. NOTHING and I mean none of the 52 things were food borne illness or contamination related. It was all about changing ceiling tiles or we needed more light. My wife says the restaurant is lit up like a hospital now! I want to be safe and Health Department compliant. But in the process I would like for it to be fair. I was put into contact with a Ms. Debbie Watts which is the Director of food inspections with The Tulsa County Health. Her and another food inspector came out the next morning and re inspected our restaurant. Ms. Watts is truly a professional person and seen we corrected things they ask for and had 6 more requests that have been corrected and let us open. Ms. Watts is truly the person should be in charge of food inspections. Because she's honestly a person who understand what restaurant owners face every day. We read the critics of Ms Linda Overturf a person we know and have had issues in the past with. So we have realized our short comings and will fix them soon. Thank all you that have stood up for us, it's very easy to talk smack about people. But it's easier to be Kind and understanding. Thank you!!!!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 12:01:34 PM by nick57 »

Online nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 07:29:35 PM »
Well, A friend treated me to a pie at Shotgun Sam's. I was not disappointed, but I was not blown away either.  It's a pretty big space filled with heavy rustic wood benches, and a small area of regular tables. Not much of a decor, the walls were mostly barren and painted with a dark brown paint. They give you a boot shaped menu when you enter. You seat yourself, then when ready to order, you go up the the cash register. You pay for the pie at that time also. The customer is given an over sized playing card to display at your table so the waitress knows where the pies are to go.

We ordered a sausage/pep combo. I think it was between 10 and 15 minutes when the pie came out. It had a very thin crust. Not quite cracker like, but almost. The thickness was between and 1/16 of an inch to 1/8  of an inch. It was easy to bite through and had a very slight chew. The rim was crispy, yet light and chewy. It also had bubbles and voids in the rim. As you can tell they use screens, and the crust has a very pale color. Could not see if they had a deck oven or a conveyor. Flavor was very good, and the cheese had a rich and nutty taste. They do not use fennel in the sausage. The pep was pretty good, and not too greasy. As you see in the side shot, they must use a lot of cheese since the crust is so thin. The sauce was pretty much in the background. I would classify this as an American style pie. I think the pie and 2 drinks was a little over $20. Not the best pie I have ever tried, but I really like the thin and crispy crust. I'll give a thumbs up! It would be a great place to take the team after a game, that's what the original  place was known for. My friend took some pics while were there, so I may have some more to post. The second pic is how I reheat my pizza. It works great and always produces a crisp crust. I just set it to 175 degrees and 10 minutes later perfect leftovers. It's the only thing I cook eggs and pancakes with.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 08:16:11 PM by nick57 »

Online nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 08:45:15 PM »
A couple of pics at the parlor.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 09:03:40 PM by nick57 »

Online nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 08:50:16 PM »
I was trying to figure out the crust. The rim reminds me of Pete's PJ clone, and the rest of the crust was very,very crispy. It is almost like a cracker, but it does not shatter. It was very thin, less than an 1/8th of an inch, and it supported toppings with ease. The crust did not droop even though it was loaded with tons of cheese and sausage/pep. It may be more hydrated than a cracker, and cooked at a lower temp and longer cook time. I really liked the crust and I'm going to play around to see if I can copy it. I won't be as heavy handed with the toppings.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 09:07:44 PM »
I read the post that you put on here from the owner, and so that gives a bit of info about the crust. However, in contrast to what he said, for some reason that crust looks parbaked or frozen to me. 

Online nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 09:29:22 PM »
 I know they make fresh dough daily, but par baked for later use sounds plausible. In the last couple of weeks he has hired a guy that claims to be a world champion pizza master. They talk about him on their Facebook page. This is what the say about him...                                                     

Step Right Up ladies and Gentlemen, Here's our World Class Champion Pizza maker.
Three Time World Pizza Champion will take all new comers in the Kitchen. He claims to be the best of the best. And Ladies look out he suppose to be a world class ladies man. Just a warning in advance. But he does make a great Pizza. Were not sure about all this lover stuff we think he's a little full of himself..
Never the less come and see Wes only at Shotgun Sams Pizza Palace. 5800 S Lewis
Tulsa. Oklahoma.     This is  their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/shotgunsamspizzapalace
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 10:38:06 PM by nick57 »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 09:37:04 PM »
sorta resembles that sATURDAY Night Live ladies man guy..... ::)

say...are those malt liquor cans mounted on that rather snazzy belt?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 09:39:43 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 10:02:16 PM »
"Yes I do understand that you have an emergency for the Ladies Man. I believe the problem you are speaking of has to do with a yeast blow out.  I've seen it many times.  Mmm-Hmmm...Let's have some Courvoisier and remind our selves that.. Damn! you should not be touching that without gloves! That is Therious!"
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 10:18:50 PM »
Oh boy....here we`ths go....

Online nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 10:30:44 PM »
He is the guy who made our pizza Those look more like rasslin' belts to me. Maybe he has to wrestle the dough to get to the desired shape. Not so sure what they said about  him is really a good way to intro your pie maker. I tried to do a search and see if I could find any info about him, no luck so far. It may be a joke was my first thought. They still seem to run out of dough and close early. They ran out  dough at  6:30 yesterday and they stay open till 9. They had a couple of upset customers that had made plans with them to come by early eve and pic up a few pies and they were closed. A few upset customers can really spread negative messages about a business.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 10:37:59 PM »
now you stop that miss thang!!  when i say let`s make a jack of hearts you don`t jus go and make a queen of diamonds....we already desperately short of those little dough ball thingies ya know.  >:(
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 10:46:28 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 12:00:22 AM »
He is the guy who made our pizza Those look more like rasslin' belts to me. Maybe he has to wrestle the dough to get to the desired shape. Not so sure what they said about  him is really a good way to intro your pie maker. I tried to do a search and see if I could find any info about him, no luck so far. It may be a joke was my first thought. They still seem to run out of dough and close early. They ran out  dough at  6:30 yesterday and they stay open till 9. They had a couple of upset customers that had made plans with them to come by early eve and pic up a few pies and they were closed. A few upset customers can really spread negative messages about a business.

There is no authority on who awards these pizza things. There are tons of competitions. I remember watching the great food truck race and some pizza guys were on it who also claimed they were world champions. Worst pizza I'd seen in my life. Seriously.

Also I don't understand running out of dough. They must be really slow then to run out at 630.

Online nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 01:40:24 PM »
  I had stopped by there two Saturdays ago to see if they were open on Sunday. It was at lunchtime, and I think I remember seeing one customer. We went this past Sunday at lunch time. I was worried about it being crowded with the after church crowd, and there were two other customers besides us. We visited and ate for 2 hours, and in that time no new customers. They have live music on Friday and Saturday nights, and it seems that draws more of a crowd. I don't think they will last too long at this pace. I have not seen any ads on the tube, radio or print. I think they just rely on Facebook and word of mouth. They did have one story on the news but that was back at the end of April. Most friends that I know have not heard about the reopening. Both times I stopped by, the owner was not very personable. The wait staff was Great! I left a 25% tip. I am going back, just hope they don't close before my next trip. I am going to try to clone the pie. My thoughts are to use a blend of KAAP/KAFB. The crust was crispy, but not very chewy. I'm under the impression that AP flour does not produce a very chewy crust, but I could very well be wrong about that. I could not really taste the sauce, so I may just use a bland sauce with some oregano and garlic. For the cheese I think a blend of sharp white cheddar and whole milk mozz will get close to their cheese. For the sausage I tasted no fennel, so I'll leave that out when making it. I'll post my results.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 01:49:30 PM »
sausage mcnuggets...BWAAAA!!   :-X

Online nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 02:44:26 PM »
Yeah I want the Italian sausage to taste as bland as theirs. Well, just for experimentation purposes only. Mainly I want to get close in creating the crust. After that, I'll use Garvey's sausage recipe and a spicier sauce.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 03:14:21 PM »
  I had stopped by there two Saturdays ago to see if they were open on Sunday. It was at lunchtime, and I think I remember seeing one customer. We went this past Sunday at lunch time. I was worried about it being crowded with the after church crowd, and there were two other customers besides us. We visited and ate for 2 hours, and in that time no new customers.

Ya that's why I said if they are running out of dough at 6:30 that means they are very slow. When your number of guests is very low it is almost impossible to predict how much dough to make, because if just a few groups happen to come in one day, that could mean a 30% increase in sales. And there is no way to plan for that swing. If you over prep by 30% every day, you are going to have a ton of waste.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 03:29:05 PM »
Ya that's why I said if they are running out of dough at 6:30 that means they are very slow. When your number of guests is very low it is almost impossible to predict how much dough to make, because if just a few groups happen to come in one day, that could mean a 30% increase in sales. And there is no way to plan for that swing. If you over prep by 30% every day, you are going to have a ton of waste.
keep some frozen balls on hand....none of their customers would know.

pizzapan