Author Topic: Check out the plans for my BBQ/ Pizza Oven?  (Read 10453 times)

Offline steffen

• I Love Pizza!
Check out the plans for my BBQ/ Pizza Oven?
« on: August 10, 2005, 10:27:08 AM »
I am convinced the Forno style oven will work the best for my vision.
I am in the early stages of construction, and have just poured the
concrete pad. My structure will have both an open bar-bq (Firepit) and also
a Forno style pizza oven, the concept being to transfer some of the
good wood coals to the bar-bq pit for some steaks in between pizza's.
The dome style oven will be built with three courses of fire brick, to accomodate an opening,
then after that, I dont know if I should build my sand mold and cover
it with firebrick or Adobe Clay/Soil. You will see in the picture, I
have an abundance of clay, but I am worried about how the firebrick
and adobe will join near the door. As well, traditional Adobe ovens
dont have a chimney, but a front and rear vent, whereas a forno style
has a chimney at the front, form what I have seen. I have received so much information here,
I appreciate the time anyone takes to read through this, and hope some
light will be shed upon my project.

Thank you;

Steffen

« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 05:39:50 PM by steffen »

Offline steffen

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Which is better, Brick, Adobe or both used together?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 08:18:15 PM »
I think I will be sticking to the brick design as it is the easiest to engineer on a computer. Here are the preliminary drawings of the pit and pizza oven. Any thoughts, comments or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Steffen

piroshok

Re: Which is better, Brick, Adobe or both used together?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 10:34:33 PM »
Adobe oven do have chimmneys just look at my links in the oven thread they are just as good as full brick ovens
Though the pages are from Argentina in Spanish and part of Pasqualino Marchese website you can appreciate some pics and schematics
« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 10:57:25 PM by piroshok »

Offline steffen

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Check out the plans for my BBQ/ Pizza Oven?
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 08:40:48 PM »
Well I have at least paid for, and slugged the concrete block structure into my backyard. Not alot of fun, but a testament to what good things will come. 2000lbs worth of concrete block should be around for a while. I have only dry laid them to this point, just in case there are any things which need to be re-thunk before putting it all together. I have my best results, Engineering on the fly. The left side of the pit will be for the open flame cooking and Saturday night campfires. The middle section is the prep area, unto which I will put a butcher block top and some shelves underneath, and the far right side is where the pizza dome will go. I will try and rope some of the friends into a little mortar and blocking this weekend, but at least all of the hard slugging is done. I will keep all in the loop as it rises out of the ground.

Steffen

Offline steffen

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 08:44:19 PM »
Can anyone tell me what the minimum dome diameter can be? Is there a calculation based on how big the opening can be based on the dome diameter. I am just working on the concrete block, and am worried that there may not be enough room for a big dome. Is 30" too small a dome?

Steffen

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 08:24:28 AM »
42 inch minimum as oven internal diameter... as said in previous post

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2005, 09:08:58 AM »
42 inch minimum as oven internal diameter... as said in previous post

Absolutely agree with pizzanapoletana. Mine has 35" diameter cooking surface. I didn't really consider the amount of space needed for the live fire. Depending on the amount of coals and wood, more than 1/3 of the area of my oven can be taken up by the fire and the margin between the pizza and the fire. Although I might be able to force more, I can comfortably bake only one pizza at a time. OTOH, when it only takes a minute or so to bake, I can pump several out quickly enough to fend off the starving hordes.

But if I had it to do over again, I would have gone for 43".

Bill/SFNM

Offline steffen

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2005, 08:28:33 PM »
I had a brainwave to have the front of the oven instead of angled to actually build it straight, and then overhand the front edge by about 18". I have a ton of steel so the structure should be able to handle it. I will have a few pictures soon enough to help all understand the way she is going, but I am trying to have the biggest possible internal diameter I can, so I could even maybe fit two pizza's in at the same time. I had the luxury last night to have a thin crust pizza at the local grocer, they have an oven, looks like a Hobart Oven or so, that has a brick facade around it, so you feel almost like its a wood fired pizza oven, but you can see the gas firing at the back of the oven, and you only know that the casing of the oven is just a standard stainless shell, best I can do until i bring some class to the neighbourhood I guess...

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 07:36:44 AM »
I am jealous.
Our family recently discovered that we own an additional parcel of land across the street from our country/summer home and it has thousands of stones of all sizes. I think an outdoor oven/bbq is in order!!!
Keep us posted.

Offline hipchef

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 12:13:32 PM »
Hi Steffen, I like your design. I will be watching the progress of your oven as I know your mouth is drooling for pizza to start rolling out..........I think you may be happier with a larger dome so you can have more room for the wood fire and a few pizzas. I am going to start my oven soon and would love to hear how you are doing.........Take care.......Bill

Offline steffen

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2005, 07:57:03 PM »
Sorry everyone,

Its been a few weekends since i have been able to make any progress on the monstrosity in my backyard. My neighbour has already come over in concern a few times :) ( i live right in the middle of the city) Wait till the smoke starts rising... I will be working on the block again tomorrow, rain or shine, and will have some good pictures by the end of the day. There are still many questions to be answered throughout the rest of the project, but I hope to have the pizza's ready for halloween. Wait till the kids see this one....

Steffen

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2005, 08:26:26 PM »
Wait till the smoke starts rising

Steffen,

A properly managed fire, especially in a chamber as hot as a brick oven, shouldn't produce much visible smoke.  Getting a good fire started as quickly as possible is key to keeping your neighbors from choking on the smoke of smoldering logs.

On a related issue, it may already be happening in some areas, but I fear it is a matter of time before urban air quality management districts everywhere move from voluntary "spare-the-air" days to mandatory days for which you will not be able to use your pizza oven, BBQ, grill, lawn mower, etc. during periods of low air quality.

Always a good idea to invite your neighbor over for some pizza.  ;D

Bill/SFNM

Offline steffen

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 11:11:38 AM »
OK Back at er now,

After a few months with a cast on my hand and the cold winter here in Toronto, I am back at working on the oven. What a great day yesterday was, I laid about 15 blocks before i called it a day. This afternoon, I am going to order more blocks as this beast is continually evolving. Should have all the structure built by this weekend, and throughout next week, have the slabs poured for the base of the oven and barbq! mmmmm I can already start to visualize the pizza's, smell the steak, o and a big pot of corn too! I will take many pictures throughout the weekend, but the goal is to at least have the barbq side done for next weekend. Wish me luck.....

Steffen

Offline steffen

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2006, 11:25:17 AM »
What a weekend,

I am now in my office after quite an exhausting weekend. I think if i knew how much work was going to be involved in this project, i may have reconsidered. But all the hard hard work is behind me. All the block is in place, and all the slabs have been poured, now its only the dome which is needed. Here are a few pics of the progress at this point. You will notice that the barbq side of the unit has had its first firing, and have even made two meals on charcoal. Ohhh what a taste, and i was able to make 16 burgers at a time on the one grill, so i can feed a small army when i put the other two grills in. Inside the firebox i also used Slate as a facing material, which has stood up to my massive fires and hot coals and splattering food brilliantly. I will be facing the entire unit with Stucco, but i knew inside the grilling areas, the stucco would not have held up. Next step is the dome itself now. Rolling with it now, should be finished in 6 weeks max i bet. Let me know what you think, i think the inside diameter of the dome will be a maximum of 38", is that ok, because i built it as big as possible?

Steffen
 :chef:

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2006, 12:12:40 PM »
What a weekend,

Let me know what you think, i think the inside diameter of the dome will be a maximum of 38", is that ok, because i built it as big as possible?

Steffen
 :chef:

Thirty Eight inches BETTER be OK; mine is going to be only 35!"

I've laid down the oven floor bricks, and the dome is next.  My goal is to be baking pizza by the 4th of July.  We'll see if that happens.
Good luck.

- Fio
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

pizzapan