Author Topic: New York style White Pizza  (Read 753 times)

Offline Timmizza

• I Love Pizza!
New York style White Pizza
« on: April 10, 2014, 10:09:10 PM »
Im new here, so I hope Im posting this in the correct thread.

So I was in Las Vegas, NV the other week. A friend told me to stop by the Cosmopolitan, head to the second floor and search for this hole in the wall pizza place that serves this "Secret White Pizza". I was pretty skeptical about it being as good as what I was hearing, but once I tried it, I fell in love.

The pizza was thin crust, with a creamy, almost Alfredo tasting type sauce. Covered in what tasted like mozzarella cheese, with a few clumps of Ricotta cheese per slice.

It was super tasty!! I was in Vegas to party it up for a friends birthday, but after devouring as many slices as I could, I was ready to head back to the hotel room and take a nap.

Anyway.... I did a quick search here on the site, and I couldnt find any post that mentioned White Pizza. Maybe there's another name for it. So Im wonder if anyone here has any recipes for this type pizza. I dug through about 20 different recipes online, and took bits and pieces from each recipe that sounded like what I ate in Vegas. Im getting my dough ready for tomorrow, when Im going to attempt to make it for the first time, but if anyone has any experience making this style, please let me know.

Thanks!!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: New York style White Pizza
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 10:23:10 PM »
I suggest that you go to the search page at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=search , enter the words "white pizza" (without the quotes) in the search box, click on Search in topics subjects only. and hit the Search button. You should get a lot of hits to look at.

Peter

Offline Timmizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 10:28:46 PM »
I suggest that you go to the search page at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=search , enter the words "white pizza" (without the quotes) in the search box, click on Search in topics subjects only. and hit the Search button. You should get a lot of hits to look at.

Peter

I appreciate the advice, and maybe its because of the FireFox browser that Im using, but when I do a search there, I get a completely blank page. Tried refreshing, but still just getting a black white page.

Is there a certain section that you can point me to?

Offline Timmizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 10:32:39 PM »
Also... Im just looking for a sauce recipe.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 10:36:10 PM »
I got 31 hits. I'd like to help you further but I am on my iPad and can't provide the best links for that number of hits.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 10:39:18 PM »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 10:44:41 PM »

Offline JHutchins

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 08:17:05 PM »

Offline TheRailroadBulls

• Fatboy Style!!
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 10:32:36 AM »
Im new here, so I hope Im posting this in the correct thread.

So I was in Las Vegas, NV the other week. A friend told me to stop by the Cosmopolitan, head to the second floor and search for this hole in the wall pizza place that serves this "Secret White Pizza". I was pretty skeptical about it being as good as what I was hearing, but once I tried it, I fell in love.

The pizza was thin crust, with a creamy, almost Alfredo tasting type sauce. Covered in what tasted like mozzarella cheese, with a few clumps of Ricotta cheese per slice.

It was super tasty!! I was in Vegas to party it up for a friends birthday, but after devouring as many slices as I could, I was ready to head back to the hotel room and take a nap.

Anyway.... I did a quick search here on the site, and I couldnt find any post that mentioned White Pizza. Maybe there's another name for it. So Im wonder if anyone here has any recipes for this type pizza. I dug through about 20 different recipes online, and took bits and pieces from each recipe that sounded like what I ate in Vegas. Im getting my dough ready for tomorrow, when Im going to attempt to make it for the first time, but if anyone has any experience making this style, please let me know.

Thanks!!

White Pizza = Pizza Bianca
"Conveyor ovens make McPizza." - Scott123

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 12:28:05 PM »

sorry. :-[

Here is the post from Omid:

Quote from: Barry on December 05, 2011, 12:24:31 AM <blockquote>Hi Omid,
Wow, those last 2 pies look fantastic! The one is with clams, and the other seems to be some kind of white pie. Could you please reply with the recipe for the white sauce on the clam pie, and the next pie as well. Thank you.
Kind regards.

Barry in Cape Town</blockquote>   
Dear Barry, thank you! Basically, I created the sauce by taking a speculated or suppositional French recipe and giving it an Italian twist! In other words, the sauce, which I have named "Ricotta Marinara Sauce", is a product of improvisation. It was used as the first topping on both the mussel-clam pizza and broccoli-pancetta pizza above in Reply #968. I was reluctant to use the sauce on the broccoli-pancetta pizza, but my wife kept insisting. So I acquiesced and, to my surprise, it worked out better than I expected! Here is the recipe for the sauce:

INGREDIENTS
•Heavy Cream (about 250 ml)
•Unsalted Pure Butter (about 1 to 1.5 tablespoon)
•Little or no Sea Salt at all (take heed that there are romano and parmigiano below)
•Shallot (1/3rd of a medium-size bulb, finely diced)
•Pecorino Romano (shredded, about 1/3rd or less of a cup)
•Parmigiano-Reggiano (shredded, about 1 or 2 tablespoons)
•Dry White Wine (about 2 to 3 tablespoons) (this sauce would not be the same without the wine!)
•Mussels (2 to 3)
•Clams (2 to 3)
Buffalo or Cow Milk Ricotta (about 320 gr.)

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Pour all the heavy cream in a pot on low heat. While gently and periodically stirring, let the cream slowly heat up without coming to a boil. (Avoid high heat.)
2. Add all the butter and slowly stir to melt and distribute.
3. Add little or no salt at all.
4. Add all the shallots and stir.
5. Add all the Romano and Parmigiano-Reggiano and stir.
6. Add all the wine and stir. (Make sure to get a good whiff of the aroma!)
7. Add all the mussels and clams and stir.
8. Remove the pot from the heat once the mussels and clams begin to open up. (Again, the sauce should not come to a boil and should NOT be fully cooked.)
9. Pour all the sauce in a glass or metal mixing bowl and let it cool down, if possible, on ice. (Do not allow the sauce to be fully cooled down. Let it retain a bit of the warmth for the purpose of mixing the ricotta in it later.)
10. Remove all the mussels and clams. (They were in the sauce only for their flavors.)
11. Add the ricotta and mix until it is fully distributed throughout the sauce. (The more ricotta you add, the thicker the sauce will become and the more difficult to spread it on dough disk.)
12. Place the sauce inside refrigerator to fully cool down before use. (You may either keep the sauce refrigerated at all times or let it be synchronized with the room temperature before use.)
13. That is all!

NOTE
The sauce should be more than enough for many pizzas. Naturally, you can refrigerate the extra sauce. I should point out that all the above portions are rough estimates/guesses, just to give you some ideas. In my opinion, the key to the sauce is that it should be light with mild flavors, whereby the ingredient gently whisper their flavors to your taste buds, without them being overwhelmed. Be careful with the shallots and the dry cheeses; they can overwhelm the sauce. Good luck and have a great day!

Respectfully,
Omid
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 02:03:03 PM by mkevenson »
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

pizzapan