Author Topic: Ischia starter  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Ischia starter
« on: April 08, 2014, 08:24:42 PM »
My Ischia starter arrived on Monday ($6 on eBay). Followed the directions to the letter:

1. Monday afternoon: Added dry starter to 4 T. water and wait 1 hour.
2. Monday evening: Add 4 T. flour + 2 T. water. Mix. Let sit 10 hours (overnight).
3. Tuesday morning: Add 1/2 cup flour + 1/4 cup water. Mix. Let sit 10 hours (until home from work).
4. Tuesday after work: Add 1 cup flour + 1/2 cup water. Mix. Let sit 10 hours.

Here's my starter two hours after step 4 (the black line marks the level of the starter after I mixed in that final cup of flour).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 08:37:13 PM by Steve »
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re: Ischia starter
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 08:26:26 PM »
Looks like my starter is off and running. According to the directions, it will be ready to use tomorrow afternoon.  :)
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 07:40:27 AM »
Dough balls in individual containers after 24 hour bulk fermentation

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 07:42:26 AM »
Dough balls this morning after 12 hour rise in individual containers (36 hours total so far with the Ischia starter)

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 07:51:03 AM »
Just so that everyone knows, I'm using Craig's Neapolitan dough recipe (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=20477.0), I've used his recipe twice (using IDY) with good results, this is my first attempt at using a starter. I experimented with starters many years ago, but they all failed and I never got to use them, so this is new territory for me. From the looks of the 36 hour fermentation (room temperature), it looks like I did something right!  :)

Offline Everlast

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 12:01:01 PM »
Yes you did! You're looking good for a 48 hour fermentation. Are you at 65F, 62.5% HR, 3% salt, 1.3% Ischia?

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 12:06:02 PM »
Are you at 65F, 62.5% HR, 3% salt, 1.3% Ischia?

Maybe closer to 68F, but yes to everything else.  :)

Offline Everlast

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 12:18:12 PM »
How are you going to decide what oven to bake them in?

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 01:07:26 PM »
How are you going to decide what oven to bake them in?

WFO tonight... my wife hasn't seen that oven in action yet.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 02:23:22 PM »
doughballs look great - pretty close to ready in the photo.   can't wait to see how these turn out.
bill

Offline elpipetuanis

• Best Recipes Evar
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 04:21:15 PM »
Steve, thanks for posting this. I tried for years to start a sourdough culture myself from scratch but it never worked. Because of that reason, I have been looking all over to find a well priced sourdough starter and had found a few places that had this particular one but they were super expensive. Just bought this one from Ebay (probably the same person you bought it from) and can't wait to get going.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 04:40:55 PM »
Steve, thanks for posting this. I tried for years to start a sourdough culture myself from scratch but it never worked. Because of that reason, I have been looking all over to find a well priced sourdough starter and had found a few places that had this particular one but they were super expensive. Just bought this one from Ebay (probably the same person you bought it from) and can't wait to get going.

You know what's funny? I thought that I purchased mine from eBay, but I actually bought it here (same $6 price):

http://sourdoughs.net/Ischia%20Italian%20Culture.htm

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 07:57:23 PM »
Someone else posted this feeding ratio, but it's proven to work VERY well for all my starters. 

I keep my starters in the refrigerator and I feed them once a week.  I just take out the jar and let the starter come to room temp over the course of couple hours.  I know the weight of my containers when they're empty, so when I weigh them, it's easy to determine the total weight of the starter in the jar. 

So determine how much starter you want to keep.   I generally keep 20-30 grams.  So I discard everything but 20 grams and then I add 2 parts new flour (40 grams) and 2 parts water (another 40 grams).  This 1/2/2 ratio has always produced nearly a tripling in volume over the course of 4-5 hours.

Before this, I was discarding about half of the starter and replacing that half (a 1/ .5/ .5 ratio) and my starters never seemed to be active enough.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline elpipetuanis

• Best Recipes Evar
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 11:02:32 AM »
You know what's funny? I thought that I purchased mine from eBay, but I actually bought it here (same $6 price):

http://sourdoughs.net/Ischia%20Italian%20Culture.htm

That is funny. That site looks like a great, cheap resource for many types of sourdough starters. Was the shipping free?

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 11:15:36 AM »
That is funny. That site looks like a great, cheap resource for many types of sourdough starters. Was the shipping free?

$5.99 + $0.95 shipping.

Offline elpipetuanis

• Best Recipes Evar
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 07:45:01 PM »
That is some awesome pricing. Thanks for the resource. By the way those dough balls look outstanding.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 07:58:02 PM »
I remember that Marco (pizzanapoletana), who apparently made his Ischia culture (and also the Camaldoli culture) available to sourdo.com in the first place, expressed concern about possible fraudulent sales of that culture by other than sourdo.com, in the thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=3547.msg29901#msg29901. I have no idea as to whether Marco had a legitimate concern or whether he was just trying to protect his baby by putting sourdo.com in sole control of that culture.

Peter

Offline elpipetuanis

• Best Recipes Evar
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 12:45:27 PM »
My Ischia starter arrived on Monday ($6 on eBay). Followed the directions to the letter:

1. Monday afternoon: Added dry starter to 4 T. water and wait 1 hour.
2. Monday evening: Add 4 T. flour + 2 T. water. Mix. Let sit 10 hours (overnight).
3. Tuesday morning: Add 1/2 cup flour + 1/4 cup water. Mix. Let sit 10 hours (until home from work).
4. Tuesday after work: Add 1 cup flour + 1/2 cup water. Mix. Let sit 10 hours.

Here's my starter two hours after step 4 (the black line marks the level of the starter after I mixed in that final cup of flour).

Steve, so have you continued a 2:1 ratio? Or have you switched to a different ratio?

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2014, 12:49:01 PM »
I'm still doing 2:1 (flour:water) but I might start using more water... my second starter (Naples) seems too thick.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 04:09:23 PM »
Steve, I just started my starter last night. YOUR last post says you did a second starter. If the original lasts forever, why a second?
I am so new at this starter stuff.
Any new revelations since April?

Mark

"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles