Author Topic: need a good simple dough recipe for grilled pizza today  (Read 356 times)

Offline cmwr

• I Love Pizza!
need a good simple dough recipe for grilled pizza today
« on: April 13, 2014, 09:48:21 AM »
Hello fellas. I am having family over today for my birthday and am going to try my hand at some simple pizza doughs to make pizzas on my outdoor cooker. I am new to outdoor pizza cooking. I actually have a couple simple recipes lined up but thought I would ask the experts for more and pick one. We don't have a lot of time as we are going to make the crust this morning around 930 and want to be ready to put the pies on the grill around noon. My family likes all types of crust but mainly a thin n  crispy style or a pan style. I myself can even like a cracker style. Anyone got any good dough recipes to try?

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Re: need a good simple dough recipe for grilled pizza today
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 10:13:27 AM »
Al Forno Grilled Pizza Dough
All Purpose Flour – 100%
Wheat Flour -0.04%
White Corn Meal – 9.13%
Water – 54 - 61%
Salt – 2.91%
Sugar – 0.09%
Oil – 3.07%
ADY – 1.9% or IDY 1.35%, Thickness factor = 0.103

Dissolve the yeast in the warm water with the sugar. After 5 minutes stir in the salt, corn meal, whole-wheat flour, and oil. Gradually add the white flour, stirring with a wooden spoon until a stiff dough has formed. Place the dough on a floured board, and knead it for several minutes

When the dough is smooth and shiny, transfer it to a bowl that has been brushed with olive oil and brush the top of the dough with additional olive oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and let rise until doubled in bulk, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Punch down the dough and knead once more. Let the dough rise again for about 40 minutes. Punch down the dough.

Divide into balls. Cover the balls with plastic wrap and allow to rise at room temperature for about 45 minutes.

Place dough on a large inverted cookie sheet brushed with 1 to 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. Turn the dough over to coat it with oil. With your hands, spread and flatten the pizza dough into a 10 to 12-inch free form circle, 1/8-inch thick. If you find the dough shrinking back into itself, allow the dough to rest for a few minutes, then continue to spread and flatten the dough. Do not make a lip, you may end up with a rectangle rather than a circle; the shape is unimportant. Take care not to stretch the dough so thin that small holes appear. If this happens, all is not lost. Rather then try to repair them, avoid them when adding toppings and drizzling with olive oil.

When the fire is hot, use your fingertips to lift the dough gently by the two corners closest to you, and drape it onto the grill. Catch the loose edge on the grill first and guide the remaining dough into place over the fire. Within a minute, the dough will puff slightly, the underside will stiffen, and grill marks will appear.

Using tongs, flip the crust over onto the coolest part of the grill. Quickly brush the grilled surface with 2 teaspoons of virgin olive oil.

After the toppings have been added, slide the pizza back toward the hot coals so about half of the pizza is directly over the heat. Rotate the pizza frequently so that different sections receive high heat checking the underside by lifting the edge with tongs to be sure it is not burning. The pizza is done when the top is bubbling and the cheese has melted.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline cmwr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 10:46:11 AM »
Al Forno Grilled Pizza Dough
All Purpose Flour 100%
Wheat Flour -0.04%
White Corn Meal 9.13%
Water 54 - 61%
Salt 2.91%
Sugar 0.09%
Oil 3.07%
ADY 1.9% or IDY 1.35%, Thickness factor = 0.103

Dissolve the yeast in the warm water with the sugar. After 5 minutes stir in the salt, corn meal, whole-wheat flour, and oil. Gradually add the white flour, stirring with a wooden spoon until a stiff dough has formed. Place the dough on a floured board, and knead it for several minutes

When the dough is smooth and shiny, transfer it to a bowl that has been brushed with olive oil and brush the top of the dough with additional olive oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and let rise until doubled in bulk, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Punch down the dough and knead once more. Let the dough rise again for about 40 minutes. Punch down the dough.

Divide into balls. Cover the balls with plastic wrap and allow to rise at room temperature for about 45 minutes.

Place dough on a large inverted cookie sheet brushed with 1 to 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. Turn the dough over to coat it with oil. With your hands, spread and flatten the pizza dough into a 10 to 12-inch free form circle, 1/8-inch thick. If you find the dough shrinking back into itself, allow the dough to rest for a few minutes, then continue to spread and flatten the dough. Do not make a lip, you may end up with a rectangle rather than a circle; the shape is unimportant. Take care not to stretch the dough so thin that small holes appear. If this happens, all is not lost. Rather then try to repair them, avoid them when adding toppings and drizzling with olive oil.

When the fire is hot, use your fingertips to lift the dough gently by the two corners closest to you, and drape it onto the grill. Catch the loose edge on the grill first and guide the remaining dough into place over the fire. Within a minute, the dough will puff slightly, the underside will stiffen, and grill marks will appear.

Using tongs, flip the crust over onto the coolest part of the grill. Quickly brush the grilled surface with 2 teaspoons of virgin olive oil.

After the toppings have been added, slide the pizza back toward the hot coals so about half of the pizza is directly over the heat. Rotate the pizza frequently so that different sections receive high heat checking the underside by lifting the edge with tongs to be sure it is not burning. The pizza is done when the top is bubbling and the cheese has melted.

Can you translate this into cups and TBSP ect?

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 05:18:02 PM »
Just use the "dough tools" on this website.  You probably want to make a 10 to 13 inch pizza(s).  The dough tools will perform the conversions for you.

Offline Adrian

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 07:22:52 PM »
Hi Jsaras,

two/three questions:

0.04%? on a Pizza made with 150g of flour this would be 0,06g. Or: It would be a knife point for 4 to 5 pizzas.

Why don't you count the (whole?) wheat flour and the corn meal in for the 100%. In bakers-% you would. With your calculation, if you take 60% water, you would end up with a hydration of 54.9...%.

54% water would lead to a hydration of 49.46%. I don't know grilled pizza. But is it really get that dry?

Greetings
Adrian

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 09:19:31 PM »
I transcribed the recipe into baker's percentages from here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/al-forno-and-johanne-killeens-grilled-pizza-recipe.html#!

I don't have time to check it, but you've likely caught an error.  The cornmeal percentage, etc., should be subtracted from the flour itself, not the overall recipe.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 09:24:20 PM by jsaras »

Offline Adrian

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 12:55:37 AM »
Ok, the recipe states

2.5 to 3.5 cups unbleached wheat flour - 3 cups is 359g
3 tablespoons of whole wheat flour - 22g
0.25 cup of cornmeal (corn flour) - 43 g
1 cup warm water -  237g
2.25 tsp kosher salt - 6g  (Isn't salt always kosher as it is pareve?)
7g of active dry yeast
1 tablespoon of olive oil - 14g

To convert this from a cup-system to a usable system:

85% wheat flour
5% whole wheat flour
10% corn flour
56% water
3.3% olive oil
1.65% ADY (=about 3.5% normal yeast from the supermarked fridge)
1.4% salt

Ok, the dough really seems to be that dry. But with the olive oil it might be ok. I don't know food network, but I don't think it is a good recipe. Fermentation without sourdough that is that short (look at the amount of yeast!) tends to be very flavourless.

Adrian

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 10:39:56 AM »
The total overall hydration (oil + water) is 59.3 %, which is pretty much the sweet spot for most all purpose flours.  Also, since the dough will ultimately be put onto grill grates, a high hydration dough wouldn't do very well.

The yeast amount and fermentation time definitely puts the formulation into the "emergency" category.  However, I view that portion of ANY formulation as a variable that should be changed to suit your individual needs.  TXCraig's predictive yeast charts have been a revolutionary revelation in that regard.